Ala. Political Legend John Patterson This Saturday, Montgomery

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 2, 2008

      The Capitol Book Newsletter

      Tuesday, December 2, 2008

      This Saturday, Come Meet A Living Legend

      John Patterson was the youngest person ever elected governor of Alabama . He was only 37 years old when he handed George Wallace his only electoral defeat way back in 1958. But before that he'd already been the youngest person ever elected Attorney General in Alabama , when he won a special election to that post in 1954, following the assassination of the original candidate, who incidentally was Patterson's own father.

      In the past 54 years, John Patterson has only cleaned up (very famously) Phenix City, banned the NAACP from Alabama, played a pivotal role with Dwight Eisenhower and John F. Kennedy in the planning and execution of the Bay of Pigs invasion, played another pivotal role against the Freedom Riders, lost a couple of elections, been appointed to the Alabama Court of Criminal Appeals by his old foe Wallace, named chief justice of a special Alabama Supreme Court formed to rule on  Judge Roy Moore's appeal of his ouster as Chief Justice of the regular Alabama Supreme Court (Moore lost that appeal), and been the subject of one documentary film. And that only scratches the surface.

      He is also, hands down, the most interesting person we know, and is perfectly willing to talk about everything that's happened in Alabama for the past 54 years, and his part in it, even the parts you might not think somebody would want to talk about.

      In fact, that's what he's done in Nobody But The People, a wonderful biography by Warren Trest. We cannot recommend this book highly enough, especially for anybody with any interest in Alabama politics. For such a person there could not be a better Christmas gift than a copy of this book signed by Governor Patterson himself!

      And...we're very pleased to announce that both Warren Trest and Governor John Patterson will be HERE AT THE STORE THIS SATURDAY, DECEMBER 8, FROM 1 - 3 PM. Come meet the governor, and get your book signed by both the author and the subject - a rare double treat!

      Can't Come? Don't let that stop you. Just CLICK HERE, and tell us how many signed copies you want. And of course we'll be  happy to get them wrapped and shipped to everybody on your gift list! ($32.50 hardcover)

      AND MORE GOOD NEWS.....Governor Patterson and Warren Trest are not the only Alabama writers who will be at the store Saturday! We'll also have Judy Oliver with her book Devotion, Bobby Cole with his book The Dummy Line, and the Church Ladies of Wetumpka's Trinity Episcopal Church, who'll be here with their cookbook Shall We Gather: Recipes and Remembrances of a River Town, and a selection of goodies from that very cookbook. Way more details about all those books later this week!

      Cheryl and Thomas Upchurch
      Capitol Book & News Company
      1140 E. Fairview Avenue
      Montgomery , AL 36106