Alabama History/Culture in the News: 20-26 Nov & Bonus Material

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 26, 2008
      Alabama History/Culture in the News: USE THIS ONE & Bonus Material

      NOTE:

      Materials in brackets are my additions. Items are listed more or less in reverse chronological order within each section. All links are working at the time I send this email. Many of the articles listed are printed in other Alabama newspapers; in general, I do not attempt to list all appearances of an article. Some dates given are those when the item was posted to the newspaper or magazine web site. Some items are listed without links because I could not find online versions.

      Feel free to forward this email as desired....

      AND NOW THE NEWS...

      Additional articles can often be found at Google, Topix or Yahoo news sites:

      http://news.google.com/

      http://www.topix.net/

      http://news.yahoo.com/

      Please note that many articles continue beyond the single web page I have linked here. Web sites related to some articles often appear in the "Bonus Material" section.

      COMING EVENTS*HISTORY**CULTURE**DEATHS*BONUS MATERIAL

      ================

      **COMING/ONGOING EVENTS

      =================

      **Alabama History Community Calendar
      http://www.archives.alabama.gov/adahcalendar.html

      **Traditional Cultural Events in Alabama
      http://www.alabamafolklife.org/folkevents.html

      **Literary Events in Alabama [via Alabama Writers Forum]
      http://www.writersforum.org/calendar/default.aspx

      =============
      **HISTORY
      =============

      **Panthers' trip to Hoover brings back [football] memories for new mayor [Bill Battle]
      http://tinyurl.com/63w9lk
      Huntsville Times 26 November 2008

      **Yesterday's News [in Mobile in 1858, 1908, etc.]
      November 26: http://tinyurl.com/6gast2
      November 25: http://tinyurl.com/648aal
      Mobile Press-Register

      **2008 November 25: Singer Percy Sledge [born in Leighton] is 69.

      **Anniston to be stop on state civil rights trail
      http://tinyurl.com/6zmoun
      Montgomery Advertiser 24 November 2008

      **b.
      11-24-1891 - Ben Gross - Birmingham, AL - d. 8-13-1979 wrote newspaper column critiquing radio
      old.time.radio Digest V2008 Issue #269
      http://lists.oldradio.net/

      **Birmingham architectural history defined in drawings by D.O. Willdin
      [also notes show of new work by Birmingham artist Arthur Price]
      http://tinyurl.com/6c7qcs
      Birmingham News blog 23 November 2008

      **The Peanut Depot shells out for 1st [“new”] roaster in 101 years
      Original roaster date to 1907
      Birmingham News 22 November 2008, pp 1A, 4A

      **Republican [Jim] Martin pulled upset in 1962
      http://tinyurl.com/69dpy5
      Prattville Progress 21 November 2008

      ===========
      **CULTURE
      ===========

      **Hoffman Media sizzle while other publishers sizzle
      [Hoover] Publisher adding jobs, titles, not cutting back
      http://tinyurl.com/6rhh4k
      Birmingham News 25 November 2008

      **Yesterday’s News [in Mobile in 1858, 1908, etc.]
      November 25:  http://tinyurl.com/648aal
      Mobile Press-Register

      **Mac McAnally honored, takes CMA win in stride
      http://tinyurl.com/67adz5
      Birmingham News 21 November 2008

      **E Pluribus Unum
      [review of new book, The Superorganism, co-authored by scientist and Alabama native Edward O. Wilson]
      [A NYT profile of Wilson published in July 2008 is at http://tinyurl.com/67ck6v ]
      http://tinyurl.com/5us2ec
      New York Times 21 November 2008

      **Grown and sewn
      How Alabama Chanin took root in Florence
      [Clothing, etc., by Natalie Chanin]
      http://tinyurl.com/6dfreg
      Birmingham Weekly 20 November 2008

      ===========
      **DEATHS
      ===========

      **Former mayor Lambert Mims dead at 78
      http://tinyurl.com/6ca6pw
      Mobile Press-Register 26 November 2008

      **Former Mobile mayor Lambert Mims dies at 78 [AP story]
      http://tinyurl.com/6mqugn
      Tuscaloosa News 26 November 2008

      **City's first black librarian dies [Bertha Williams]
      http://tinyurl.com/5b9whh
      Montgomery Advertiser 26 November 2008

      **Jim Fuller dies at 66; worked for interests of coastal Mobile County
      Onetime Coden resident helped push for more funding to aid victims of Hurricane Katrina
      http://tinyurl.com/5tncou
      Mobile Press-Register 25 November 2008

      ==================
      **BONUS MATERIAL
      ==================

      **Autauga at War [Autauga Co. in the Civil War; this site will be closing in Feb. 2009]
      http://groups.msn.com/AutaugaatWar/

      **Minnie Bruce Pratt [author; Selma native]
      http://www.mbpratt.org/

      ================
      **USEFUL LINKS
      ================

      **Alabama History Community Calendar
      http://www.archives.alabama.gov/adahcalendar.html

      **THIS MONTH IN ALABAMA HISTORY
      http://www.archives.state.al.us/thisweek/month.html

      **Alabama County Historical & Genealogical Societies & Records Repositories
      http://www.archives.state.al.us/referenc/hsglist.html

      **Alabama Historical Association Marker Index
      http://www.archives.state.al.us/markers/histmarkindex.html

      **Alabama History Resources on the Internet
      http://www.archives.alabama.gov/teacher/netres.html

      **Birmingham Rewound
      http://www.birminghamrewound.com/

      **Project to Document the Birmingham District
      [Includes the BhamWiki and the Magic City Flickr group]
      http://tinyurl.com/yt49xj

      **activeculture.info [cultural events calendar for central Alabama]
      http://activeculture.info/index.asp

      **activeculture.info History Events
      http://tinyurl.com/hn3lf

      **activeculture.info Literature Events