Alabama History/Culture in the News: 3-7 Nov & Bonus Material

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 7, 2008
      Alabama History/Culture in the News: USE THIS ONE & Bonus Material

      NOTE:

      Materials in brackets are my additions. Items are listed more or less in reverse chronological order within each section. All links are working at the time I send this email. Many of the articles listed are printed in other Alabama newspapers; in general, I do not attempt to list all appearances of an article. Some dates given are those when the item was posted to the newspaper or magazine web site. Some items are listed without links because I could not find online versions.

      Feel free to forward this email as desired....

      AND NOW THE NEWS...

      Additional articles can often be found at Google, Topix or Yahoo news sites:

      http://news.google.com/

      http://www.topix.net/

      http://news.yahoo.com/

      Please note that many articles continue beyond the single web page I have linked here. Web sites related to some articles often appear in the "Bonus Material" section.

      COMING EVENTS*HISTORY**CULTURE**DEATHS*BONUS MATERIAL

      ================

      **COMING/ONGOING EVENTS

      =================

      **[ Alabama ] Authors are big draw at Christmas Jubilee [Nov. 6-8]
      http://tinyurl.com/5neplb
      Mobile Press-Register 6 November 2008

      **
      EUGENE WALTER DOCUMENTARY NOVEMBER 12

      ROBERT CLEM TO SCREEN A NEW EUGENE WALTER DOCUMENTARY

      Date and Time:  WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 12 at 3 p.m.

      Location:  The Special Collections and Archives Department, located on the GROUND FLOOR of the Ralph Brown Draughon Library. Eugene Walter (1921-1998) was born in Mobile .  He was a screenwriter and poet who lived a bohemian lifestyle. Sponsored by:  the Auburn University Libraries, and the Caroline Marshall Draughon Center for the Arts & Humanities in the College of Liberal Arts .
      http://www.lib.auburn.edu/

      **Group One group art show opens Nov. 13th reception
      http://tinyurl.com/65otmd
      Montgomery Advertiser 7 November 2008

      **Scouts host Veterans exhibit [through Nov. 20; Carver Museum ]
      http://tinyurl.com/5gnlmc
      Gadsden Times 6 November 2008

      **Festival will celebrate heritage of American Indians [Nov. 22, Dothan ]
      http://tinyurl.com/6r4wka
      Dothan Eagle 7 November 2008

      =============
      **HISTORY
      =============

      **Civil War soldier honored [James Madison Medcalf]
      http://tinyurl.com/5fkdvf
      Gadsden Times 7 November 2008

      **Business Hall of Fame Laureates announced [by Junior Achievement of N. Ala. ]
      http://tinyurl.com/5mtdo6
      Huntsville Times 7 November 2008

      **Paying homage to Selma marchers
      http://tinyurl.com/6jav4t
      Toronto Star 6 November 2008

      **Local group has been meeting for 100 years
      Study Club of Huntsville pursues intellectual topics
      http://tinyurl.com/6xfa8s
      Huntsville Times 6 November 2008

      **Rikard’s Mill [ Historical Park ] set to produce cane syrup
      http://tinyurl.com/6mxwgn
      Mobile Press-Register 6 November 2008

      ** Heritage Harbor kicks off county bicentennial
      Event to feature communities from around Baldwin
      http://tinyurl.com/5vrknp
      Mobile Press-Register 6 November 2008

      **In typical fashion, Duane Reboul, Brian Shoop enter BSC [Sports] Hall of Fame together
      http://tinyurl.com/5nml5n
      Birmingham News 6 November 2008

      **Institute for Deaf and Blind celebrates 150 years
      http://tinyurl.com/5t2ha4
      Tuscaloosa News 6 November 2008

      **Yesterday’s News [ in Mobile in 1858, 1908, etc.]
      November 7: http://tinyurl.com/6nxgyl
      November 6: http://tinyurl.com/5nztyn
      Mobile Press-Register

      **Rowan Oaks is one of [ Leeds ] historical society’s accomplishments
      http://tinyurl.com/6cyeq8
      Leeds News 5 November 2008

      **My father, George Wallace, and Barack Obama [commentary by Peggy Wallace Kennedy]
      http://tinyurl.com/55c9pb
      CNN.com 3 November 2008

      ===========
      **CULTURE
      ===========

      **Means of moving a bear
      Band [Ursa Locomodus] making its mark on Shoals music scene
      http://tinyurl.com/59rewc
      Florence Times-Daily 7 November 2008

      **Firms honored for arts contributions
      http://tinyurl.com/63b3qz
      Montgomery Advertiser 7 November 2008

      ===========
      **DEATHS
      ===========

      **Mobile Area Mardi Gras Association member [Alfred] Davis dies at 91
      http://tinyurl.com/5hg98c
      Mobile Press-Register 6 November 2008

      ==================
      **BONUS MATERIAL
      ==================

      ** Birmingham , Alabama , Daily Photo & Blog
      http:/birminghamalabamadailyphoto.blogspot.com/

      **Recent Books with Alabama Connections

      Arrington, Richard. There’s Hope for the World: The Memoir of Birmingham , Alabama ’s First African American Mayor. University of Alabama Press, 2008

      Blitz, John H. Moundville. University of Alabama Press, 2008

      Long, Robert Emmet. Truman Capote, Enfant Terrible. Continuum, 2008
      [Reviewed in Publishers Weekly 1 September 2008 http://www.publishersweekly.com/ ]

      Zellner, Bob. The Wrong Side of Murder Creek: A White Southerner in the Freedom Movement. NewSouth, 2008
      [Zellner is the son of an Alabama minister; reviewed in Publishers Weekly 25 August 2008 http://www.publishersweekly.com/ ]

      ================
      **USEFUL LINKS
      ================

      ** Alabama History Community Calendar
      http://www.archives.alabama.gov/adahcalendar.html

      **THIS MONTH IN ALABAMA HISTORY
      http://www.archives.state.al.us/thisweek/month.html

      ** Alabama County Historical & Genealogical Societies & Records Repositories
      http://www.archives.state.al.us/referenc/hsglist.html

      ** Alabama Historical Association Marker Index
      http://www.archives.state.al.us/markers/histmarkindex.html

      ** Alabama History Resources on the Internet
      http://www.archives.alabama.gov/teacher/netres.html

      ** Birmingham Rewound
      http://www.birminghamrewound.com/

      **Project to Document the Birmingham District
      [Includes the BhamWiki and the Magic City Flickr group]
      http://tinyurl.com/yt49xj

      **activeculture.info [cultural events calendar for central Alabama ]
      http://activeculture.info/index.asp

      **activeculture.info History Events
      http://tinyurl.com/hn3lf

      **activeculture.info Literature Events