[Truman] Capote Revisited (panel, ALA, May 2009)

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 30, 2008
      -----Original Message-----
      From: U.S. Southern Literature [mailto:H-SOUTHERN-LIT@...] On
      Behalf Of Martyn Bone
      Sent: Thursday, October 30, 2008 5:25 AM
      To: H-SOUTHERN-LIT@...
      Subject: CFP: Capote Revisited (panel, ALA, May 2009)

      Fra: Kristen Proehl [mailto:kbproe@...]
      Sendt: 30. oktober 2008 00:55
      Emne: CFP

      Panel Proposal: Capote Revisited

      A Panel for the Annual Conference of the
      American Literature Association
      Boston, May 21-24, 2009

      Due to the overlapping film productions of _Infamous (2006) and _Capote
      (2005), as well the 2005 Random House publication of the "lost" _Summer
      Crossing manuscript, Truman Capote is receiving yet another wave of
      attention amongst academic and popular American audiences. For this
      panel proposal, we welcome a variety of different critical approaches to
      understanding Capote's literature and his complex evolution as an
      American literary icon. We are particularly interested in papers that
      reflect critically upon the recent surge of interest in Capote's work,
      offer innovative new interpretations of his texts, or analyze the
      influence of _Summer Crossing, _Infamous and/or _Capote on our
      understanding of his life and work.

      Panelists might explore the following topics, among others:

      - Issues of authorship in _Capote or _Summer Crossing.
      - Approaches to teaching Capote's work and/or _Infamous and _Capote.
      - Comparative analysis of _Infamous and _Capote.
      - New Orleans and Truman Capote.
      - Issues of celebrity and Capote's vexed literary relationships.
      - Harper Lee and Capote.
      - Violence in Capote's fiction and recent films about his life.
      - Sexuality in Capote's work and/or the recent films.
      - Analysis of the 1967 film version of _In Cold Blood, perhaps in
      conjunction with the recent films.

      Please send a 250-500 word abstract and 1-page CV to both Kristen B.
      Proehl and John D. Miller, College of William and Mary, kbproe@...
      and
      jdmil4@.... Due by January 1, 2009.

      Kristen Proehl