Alabama History/Culture in the News: 26-29 Oct & Bonus Material

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 29, 2008
      Alabama History/Culture in the News: USE THIS ONE & Bonus Material

      NOTE:

      Materials in brackets are my additions. Items are listed more or less in reverse chronological order within each section. All links are working at the time I send this email. Many of the articles listed are printed in other Alabama newspapers; in general, I do not attempt to list all appearances of an article. Some dates given are those when the item was posted to the newspaper or magazine web site. Some items are listed without links because I could not find online versions.

      Feel free to forward this email as desired....

      AND NOW THE NEWS...

      Additional articles can often be found at Google, Topix or Yahoo news sites:

      http://news.google.com/

      http://www.topix.net/

      http://news.yahoo.com/

      Please note that many articles continue beyond the single web page I have linked here. Web sites related to some articles often appear in the "Bonus Material" section.

      COMING EVENTS*HISTORY**CULTURE**DEATHS*BONUS MATERIAL

      ================

      **COMING/ONGOING EVENTS

      =================

      **Program to focus on [James Thomas] Rapier [Nov. 2]
      [ Ala. author Richard Bailey will talk about the Lauderdale native who served in the U.S. House 1873-1875.]
      http://tinyurl.com/5gb5ny
      Florence Times-Daily 29 October 2008

      **Nov 6, 7:30 pm, [Ala. Author] Rodney Jones, Smith Hall Gallery, the University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, http://amnh.ua.edu/about.html

      **Business in the Arts

      Awards luncheon set for Nov. 6

      http://tinyurl.com/55l293

      Montgomery Advertiser 23 October 2008

      **Tuskegee Airman [Ernest Craigwell, Jr.] to speak at Veterans Day program [Nov. 11]

      http://tinyurl.com/6xdtp4

      Montgomery Advertiser 23 October 2008

      ** Monroeville holidng Fruitcake festival, performing Truman Capote work [begins. Nov.13]
      http://tinyurl.com/58ms7n
      Birmingham News 26 October 2008

      **
      Miss Indian Alabama competition kicks off American Indian Heritage Month [Nov. 14]
      [ Alabama has nine state-recognized trial governments.]
      http://tinyurl.com/59gf4c
      Montgomery Advertiser 27 October 2008

      **Nov 14-15, Book, Zine, and Music Fair, Greencup Books, Birmingham http://www.greencupbooks.org/

      =============
      **HISTORY
      =============

      ** Marshall marks NASA’s 50th with memories
      http://tinyurl.com/5cn9qz
      Huntsville Times 29 October 2008

      **Early [Madison Co.] citizen [Ferdinand M.] Trotman always kept his wives separated
      http://tinyurl.com/5e6hlu
      Huntsville Times 29 October 2008

      **Railroad enthusiasts’ group forming, setting up home, museum in Leeds
      http://tinyurl.com/5wu23l
      Birmingham News 29 October 2008

      **Muscle Shoals Rhythm Section inducted in [Musicians] hall of fame
      http://tinyurl.com/5lswof
      Florence Times-Daily 29 October 2008

      **
      1948 October 29: Kate Jackson (in Alabama ), actor (Charley's Angels, Making Love,           Scarecrow and Mrs. King)[is born.]
      FROM: Poor Gabriel’s Almanac poorgabriel@...

      **School spirits [ghost stories at UM]
      http://tinyurl.com/5hl6zq
      Shelby County Reporter 28 October 2008

      **Harpersville tour highlights history
      http://tinyurl.com/5s6gv7
      Shelby Country Reporter 28 October 2008

      **[Lucy] Baxley or [Twinkle] Cavanaugh will make history in PSC race
      http://tinyurl.com/5vcghc
      Gadsden Times 28 October 2008

      **Hank Aaron’s family home moved to stadium in Mobile
      http://tinyurl.com/6ckjme
      Mobile Press-Register 28 October 2008

      **Residents recall life during those tough days [Great Depression]
      http://tinyurl.com/5nnxkm
      Florence Times-Daily 28 October 2008

      **Local haunts
      http://tinyurl.com/5p28rq
      Tuscaloosa News 28 October 2008

      **Yesterday’s News [in Mobile in 1858, 1908, etc.]
      October 29: http://tinyurl.com/575xnl
      October 28: http://tinyurl.com/5h9weg
      Mobile Press-Register

      **[Political columnist Steve] Flowers talks politics with historical group [Pike Co.]
      http://tinyurl.com/64o4ov
      Troy Messenger 27 October 2008

      **Liquor: a history of how Alabama regulates alcohol [by historian Hardy Jackson]
      http://tinyurl.com/5lkkp2
      Mobile Press-Register 26 October 2008

      **Scientists have new clue to mystery of sunken sub
      [Confederate sub H.L. Hunley was built in Mobile .]
      http://tinyurl.com/5e7bbd
      Associated Press/Yahoo News 17 October 2008

      ===========
      **CULTURE
      ===========

      **Surrealist artist [Alabaster’s Brandon Hearn] shows at Bluff Park Gallery
      http://tinyurl.com/677mvk
      Birmingham News 29 October 2008

      ===========
      **DEATHS
      ===========

      **Farewell-Johnny Wallis [AU football player, banker; died Sept. 1]
      Birmingham News 26 October 2008 p14A

      ==================
      **BONUS MATERIAL
      ==================

      **
      Haunted Places in Alabama
      http://www.theshadowlands.net/places/alabama.htm
      The ShadowLands.net

      **Black Americans in Congress [includes Alabama ’s]
      http://baic.house.gov/

      **Grants For Literary Arts Projects
      The Southern Arts Federation is pleased to announce a new grant
      program for literary arts presenters. Aimed at smaller
      presenters, the Southern Fast Track Touring/Literary Arts grant
      program seeks to establish an active arts environment in
      underserved communities. This grant program offers organizations
      the opportunity to receive fee support to present writers who
      reside outside of the presenter’s state. Support is
      awarded to literary projects that contain both a reading and an
      educational component such as a writing workshop. The maximum
      request is 50% of the writer’s fee, up to $2,500. The
      postmark deadline is 60 days prior to the project start date.
      Only literary arts presenters with an annual operating budget of
      $100,000 or less are eligible to apply.
      * The guidelines and application form are available at
      www.southarts.org/grants
      * Need help finding a writer? – visit
      http://www.southernartistry.org
      About Us: The Southern Arts Federation (SAF), with support from
      the National Endowment for the Arts (NEA), offers grants and
      subsidies in an effort to strengthen nonprofit presenters'
      organizational capacity, and to sustain and expand markets for
      arts organizations and artists. For each of our grant programs,
      only nonprofit presenting organizations in the Southern Arts
      Federation's nine-state region are eligible to apply. Eligible
      project events must take place in SAF's nine-state region (in the
      presenter's state). SAF's nine-state region includes Alabama ,
      Florida , Georgia , Kentucky , Louisiana , Mississippi , North
      Carolina , South Carolina , and Tennessee . For more information or
      assistance, please contact Nikki Estes,
      Program Director - Presenting and Touring, at 404-874-7244, ext. 16.

      **[ Tuskegee ]
      Airman Flies In Museum 2

      Craig Robinson, who plays a museum exhibit brought to life in Night at the Museum 2: Battle of the Smithsonian, told SCI FI Wire that his character is half of a pair of unnamed Tuskegee Airmen, members of a group of history-making black pilots who flew with distinction during World War II.

      "I play Tuskegee Airman number two," Robinson said in a group interview on Oct. 19 in Beverly Hills , Calif. , where he was promoting Zack and Miri Make a Porno. Keith Powell joins Robinson as Tuskegee Airman number one.

      "Tuskegee Airman number one is always announcing what's going on, and [Tuskegee Airman number two]'s like, 'Really? You gotta do it? Come on.' That was their play," Robinson said.

      Robinson added that the Tuskegee Airmen are full-sized characters, a la Robin Williams' Teddy Roosevelt in the first Museum movie, and not miniatures like the Romans and the cowboys. "We do come alive, but we're not miniatures," he said. "We're exhibits."

      Ben Stiller returns as a security guard who must wrangle all the museum exhibits when they come to life at night. The action moves from New York 's American Museum of Natural History to Washington 's Smithsonian Institution.

      An admirer of Stiller's work, Robinson paid close attention to how the star kept his game up between long, complicated setups.

      "Ben Stiller was amazing," Robinson said. "Just a nice dude. And watching him work, I've been lucky and blessed to see a lot of people at the top of their game and see how they just get prepared for a scene. Ben would always jog in place and get his energy up. Things like that."

      Robinson also marveled at the physical sets constructed for the film. "Just the sets on that show were amazing," he said. "They rebuilt the Smithsonian. It was to the letter, so it was nice." Night at the Museum 2: Battle of the Smithsonian opens May 22, 2009. --Fred Topel

      http://www.scifi.com/sfw/news/
      Sci Fi Weekly 27 October 2008

      ================
      **USEFUL LINKS
      ================

      ** Alabama History Community Calendar
      http://www.archives.alabama.gov/adahcalendar.html

      **THIS MONTH IN ALABAMA HISTORY
      http://www.archives.state.al.us/thisweek/month.html

      ** Alabama County Historical & Genealogical Societies & Records Repositories
      http://www.archives.state.al.us/referenc/hsglist.html

      ** Alabama Historical Association Marker Index
      http://www.archives.state.al.us/markers/histmarkindex.html

      ** Alabama History Resources on the Internet
      http://www.archives.alabama.gov/teacher/netres.html

      ** Birmingham Rewound
      http://www.birminghamrewound.com/

      **Project to Document the Birmingham District
      [Includes the BhamWiki and the Magic City Flickr group]
      http://tinyurl.com/yt49xj

      **activeculture.info [cultural events calendar for central Alabama ]
      http://activeculture.info/index.asp

      **activeculture.info History Events
      http://tinyurl.com/hn3lf

      **activeculture.info Literature Events