CFP--edited collection on Southern Populism

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 27, 2008
      From: H-Net Gilded Age and Progressive Era List
      [mailto:H-SHGAPE@...] On Behalf Of Russell Johnson
      Sent: Sunday, October 26, 2008 4:48 PM
      To: H-SHGAPE@...
      Subject: CFP--edited collection on Southern Populism

      From: James M. Beeby <jbeeby@...>
      Date: Friday, 24 Oct. 2008

      Dear Colleagues:

      I am writing to ask for contributors to a new edited book collection on
      Southern Populism. Over the past three or four years the field of
      Southern
      Populism, Southern Politics in the Gilded Age, and late
      nineteenth-century
      race relations has witnessed some excellent work by a new(ish)
      generation
      of historians.

      In order to build on this work and I am putting together an edited
      collection on Southern Populism tentatively entitled, "Southern Populism
      Revisited: New Interpretations and New Departures." I have spoken with
      an
      editor at a University Press and the press seems very interested in the
      idea. I would serve as editor of the book. Essentially the edited
      collection will focus on new research and interpretations on the
      Populist
      Movement in the South, broadly defined (from the Southern Farmers'
      Alliance through to the demise of Populism in the South in the early
      20th
      Century), and each essay can focus on a region, a state, a theme or
      issue,
      race, gender, politics, intellectual ideas or some other aspect, all
      with
      an eye to new research and interpretations of southern Populism. I have
      already secured the services of several colleagues in the field but
      there
      are a few places left for contributors to the book. If you are
      interested
      in contributing to this volume, please email me off the list at
      jbeeby@... and I can provide you with more details, time-lines and
      the
      like. This should be an exciting project and a chance to contribute to
      the
      historiography on southern Populism.

      Thank you for taking the time to read this email and I look forward to
      hearing from you in due course.

      With all best wishes,

      James M. Beeby
      James M. Beeby, Ph.D., F.R.Hist.S.