Alabama History/Culture in the News: 15-17 Oct & Bonus Material

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 17, 2008

      NOTE:

      Materials in brackets are my additions. Items are listed more or less in reverse chronological order within each section. All links are working at the time I send this email. Many of the articles listed are printed in other Alabama newspapers; in general, I do not attempt to list all appearances of an article. Some dates given are those when the item was posted to the newspaper or magazine web site. Some items are listed without links because I could not find online versions.

      Feel free to forward this email as desired....

      AND NOW THE NEWS...

      Additional articles can often be found at Google, Topix or Yahoo news sites:

      http://news.google.com/

      http://www.topix.net/

      http://news.yahoo.com/

      Please note that many articles continue beyond the single web page I have linked here. Web sites related to some articles often appear in the "Bonus Material" section.

      COMING EVENTS*HISTORY**CULTURE**DEATHS*BONUS MATERIAL

      ================

      **COMING/ONGOING EVENTS

      =================

      **Heritage Day marks 25th year [Oct. 18; Silverhill]
      Community celebration Saturday to include parade
      http://tinyurl.com/6cndzd
      Mobile Press-Register 17 October 2008

      **First Methodist marks 200 years [Oct. 18-19]
      Bicentennial puts history in limelight at weekend event
      http://tinyurl.com/6qcxlk
      Huntsville Times 17 October 2008

      **First lady [Patsy Riley] to present new cookbook [Oct. 19, Montgomery ]
      http://tinyurl.com/5xlqs5
      Montgomery Advertiser 16 October 2008

      **Frontier Days coming up [Nov. 5-9, Fort Toulouse-Jackson State Historic Site]
      http://tinyurl.com/67eq4s
      Montgomery Advertiser 17 October 2008

      **American Indian History Month Festival [Nov. 22, Dothan ]

      [Seven of nine Alabama tribes to participate]
      http://tinyurl.com/6ogycq
      WTVY-TV [ Dothan ] 16 October 2008

      =============

      **HISTORY

      =============

      **Old school spirit thrives at Judson
      Professor’s ghost is big on campus, at least in myth
      http://tinyurl.com/68gwh6
      Huntsville Times 17 October 2008

      **Glomeratas [AU yearbook] provide glimpse into past
      http://tinyurl.com/55gofk
      Auburn Plainsman [AU] 16 October 2008

      **UAB groups hears of Anniston ’s PCBs history
      [from Dennis Love, author of My City Was Gone]
      http://tinyurl.com/6zspfp
      TradingMarkets.com 16 October 2008

      ** Tuskegee featured in state brochure [“Year of Alabama History”]
      http://tinyurl.com/67ywx7
      Tuskegee News 16 October 2008

      **City [of Foley], owner debate fate of Battle of Mobile mural

      Former mayor [Arthur Holk] says he still has rights to painting
      http://tinyurl.com/4ltcwj
      Mobile Press-Register 16 October 2008

      **Yesterday’s News [in Mobile in 1858, 1908, etc.]
      October 17: http://tinyurl.com/5s6agk
      October 16: http://tinyurl.com/3usq8m
      Mobile Press-Register

      ===========

      **CULTURE

      ===========

      **Ghostly experience can be jarring, but also may instill belief
      http://tinyurl.com/5qqtla
      Huntsville Times 17 October 2008

      **Local bands see challenges, success
      http://tinyurl.com/6qndmr
      Florence Times-Daily 17 October 2008

      Artful stories: Joe DeCamillis tells tales through his mixed media works
      [The Birmingham artist will be at Kentuck]
      http://tinyurl.com/6rur4n
      Birmingham News 16 October 2008

      **Thefts hamper Selma ’s butterfly art project
      http://tinyurl.com/6d7rxx
      Montgomery Advertiser 16 October 2008

      **Bama-built bike revs up [Neiman-Marcus] Christmas catalog
      http://tinyurl.com/3utfrd
      Birmingham News 15 October 2008

      **’Heart’ and Soul
      Local [marching] bands take part in challenge [for 25th year]
      http://tinyurl.com/4n79hp
      Prattville Progress 15 October 2008

      ===========

      **DEATHS

      ===========

      **[no items this issue]

      ==================

      **BONUS MATERIAL

      ==================

      **The Vagabond [Nine nations that have controlled what is now Etowah Co.]
      Gadsden Messenger 24 September 2008, p 8A

      **Jerry B. Jones Historical Research Library planned [by Etowah Co. Historical Society]

      Gadsden Messenger 17 September 2008, pp 1A, 12A

      ** Gadsden Public Library: 100 years commemorated [in new book]
      Gadsden Messenger 3 September 2008, pp 1A, 12A

      **World Champion Duck Decoy Carver [Jason Russell] from Gadsden
      Gadsden Messenger 27 August 2008, p 5A

      **Centre baseball field named in memory of J.W. Hampton
      Gadsden Messenger 27 August 2008, p 4A

      **Humongous historic Bear Bryant stamp becomes slick super-sized slip and slide
      Gadsden Messenger 20 August 2008, p 3B

      ** Central Carver Museum : Remembering a dream

      Gadsden Messenger 13 August 2008, pp 1A, 5A

      ================

      **USEFUL LINKS

      ================

      ** Alabama History Community Calendar

      http://www.archives.alabama.gov/adahcalendar.html

      **THIS MONTH IN ALABAMA HISTORY

      http://www.archives.state.al.us/thisweek/month.html

      ** Alabama County Historical & Genealogical Societies & Records Repositories

      http://www.archives.state.al.us/referenc/hsglist.html

      ** Alabama Historical Association Marker Index

      http://www.archives.state.al.us/markers/histmarkindex.html

      ** Alabama History Resources on the Internet

      http://www.archives.alabama.gov/teacher/netres.html

      ** Birmingham Rewound

      http://www.birminghamrewound.com/

      **Project to Document the Birmingham District

      [Includes the BhamWiki and the Magic City Flickr group]

      http://tinyurl.com/yt49xj

      **activeculture.info [cultural events calendar for central Alabama ]

      http://activeculture.info/index.asp

      **activeculture.info History Events

      http://tinyurl.com/hn3lf

      **activeculture.info Literature Events

      http://tinyurl.com/fnf5l

      ===============================

      **alabamahistory related links

      A.J. Wright, M.L.S.

      Associate Professor

      Director, Section on the History of Anesthesia

      Department of Anesthesiology Library

      University of Alabama at Birmingham

      619 19th Street South, JT965

      Birmingham AL 35249-6810