Alabama History/Culture in the News: 10-13 Oct & Bonus Material

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 13, 2008
      Alabama History/Culture in the News: USE THIS ONE & Bonus Material

      NOTE:

      Materials in brackets are my additions. Items are listed more or less in reverse chronological order within each section. All links are working at the time I send this email. Many of the articles listed are printed in other Alabama newspapers; in general, I do not attempt to list all appearances of an article. Some dates given are those when the item was posted to the newspaper or magazine web site. Some items are listed without links because I could not find online versions.

      Feel free to forward this email as desired....

      AND NOW THE NEWS...

      Additional articles can often be found at Google, Topix or Yahoo news sites:

      http://news.google.com/

      http://www.topix.net/

      http://news.yahoo.com/

      Please note that many articles continue beyond the single web page I have linked here. Web sites related to some articles often appear in the "Bonus Material" section.

      COMING EVENTS*HISTORY**CULTURE**DEATHS*BONUS MATERIAL

      ================

      **COMING/ONGOING EVENTS

      =================

      **Autauga Genealogical Society
      Date:  Sunday, October 19

      Time:  2 p.m.

      Location:  Prattville First Baptist Church , corner of 3rd St. and Washington .  Park in the 3rd St. parking area and use the breezeway entrance.

      Johnny Curry, Special Projects Coordinator for The American Village in Montevallo, will speak to the Autauga Genealogical Society about the on-going programs at the nationally recognized civic education institution.

      Mr. Curry notes that, "October 19th is one of the most significant days in American history as it was on that day that Lord Charles Cornwallis surrendered to General Washington at Yorktown , effectively ending The American Revolution."  He also notes that this coming year will be historic for The American Village as it will celebrate its 10th anniversary.  This year will see the completion of several new projects including the building of a near-replica of the famous Old North Bridge .  It was that bridge where "the shot heard 'round the world" was fired to signal the beginning of The American Revolution. The American Village is a not-for-profit institution that serves over 40,000 visitors each year promoting the teaching of American history and the founding of our Republic.
      http://www.americanvillage.org/

      =============
      **HISTORY
      =============

      ** Huffman Baptist Church turns 100, offers historical exhibit
      http://tinyurl.com/4m8ssb
      Birmingham News 13 October 2008

      [Local] Museums generate interest, not money
      http://tinyurl.com/4bowge
      Florence Times-Daily 13 October 2008

      **Man [Tom McKnight] discovers ancestor was Helen Keller’s cook
      http://tinyurl.com/3neh2a
      Florence Times-Daily 13 October 2008

      **Drish House [built ca. 1835] finally gets a chance to yield it [ghostly] secrets
      http://tinyurl.com/3kb5ff
      Tuscaloosa News 13 October 2008

      **Congregation celebrates 150 years [St. Mark’s Episcopal Church, Prattville ]
      Church building designed by a 15-year-old marks its centennial in same year
      http://tinyurl.com/3sbjzm
      Prattville Progress 13 October 2008

      ** Selma considers ways to honor J.L. Chestnut
      http://tinyurl.com/4gry2j
      Montgomery Advertiser 13 October 2008

      **Huffman Baptist celebrates 100th anniversary
      http://tinyurl.com/53cemd
      Birmingham News blog 12 October 2008

      **Alabama Historical Commission awards honors
      http://tinyurl.com/3wlygs
      Huntsville Times blog 12 October 2008

      **Ted Koppel looks back on 1980s lynching in Mobile
      http://tinyurl.com/4dvxrq
      Mobile Press-Register 12 October 2008

      **When hamsters ruled Mobile : Corps of Engineers draftsman credited with creating nationwide demand for furry creatures in mid-1940s
      http://tinyurl.com/4lzmme
      Mobile Press-Register 12 October 2008

      **
      Birmingham school board considers swapping one Jackson for another for elementary school name

      `Stonewall' Jackson may become Emory O. Jackson

      http://tinyurl.com/3ps823
      Birmingham News 12 October 2008

      ** Bessemer 's Jess Lanier High School is named after a former Bessemer mayor; Internet petitin circulating requesting new high school retain that name
      http://tinyurl.com/3myfp3
      Birmingham News 12 October 2008

      **127 more veterans on Honor Flight high

      Marjorie Torzillo goes on D.C. trip despite surgery
      http://tinyurl.com/4stxtb
      Huntsville Times 12 October 2008

      ** Gadsden 's float in Elk Carnival of 1901 showed competitive spirit
      http://tinyurl.com/4wthsn
      Gadsden Times 12 October 2008

      **Shoals heritage
      Keelboats kept trade flowing
      http://tinyurl.com/3rdcgu
      Florence Times-Daily 12 October 2008

      **Panelists share [Tuskegee Airmen] war stories
      http://tinyurl.com/3qvbxu
      Montgomery Advertiser 12 October 2008

      **[ Tuskegee ] Airman's wishes honored
      Pilots scatter [George] Taylor 's ashes on Moton Field
      http://tinyurl.com/4al2ck
      Montgomery Advertiser 12 October 2008

      **Rewriting history
      Author says [ Tuskegee ] Airmen didn't collide
      http://tinyurl.com/4lkw6z
      Montgomery Advertiser 12 October 2008

      History-making Alabama women seek PSC presidency [Lucy Baxley and Twinkle Andress Cavanaugh]
      http://tinyurl.com/3wm87t
      Associated Press 12 October 2008

      **[ Collinsville H.S.] Stadium named in memory of former administrator [Chad Hawkins]
      http://tinyurl.com/42yveh
      Gadsden Times 11 October 2008

      **[Richard]
      Arrington recalls tenure as Birmingham mayor in new memoir
      Memoir outlines long political career
      http://tinyurl.com/45ugyd
      Birmingham News 11 October 2008

      **[Fifth annual] Ceremony to honor fallen firefighters [in Alabama ]
      http://tinyurl.com/3hovsu
      Montgomery Advertiser 11 October 2008

      **Tuskegee Airmen honored at opening
      http://tinyurl.com/3uz4ht
      Montgomery Advertiser 11 October 2008

      **[ Tuskegee ] Airman recalls capture
      http://tinyurl.com/4gtdhm
      Montgomery Advertiser 11 October 2008

      **Tuskegee Historic Site opens [23 photos]
      http://tinyurl.com/4pj5rl
      Montgomery Advertiser 11 October 2008

      **Tuskegee Airmen recognition overdue
      http://tinyurl.com/4buuk6
      Montgomery Advertiser 11 October 2008

      **Clanton featured in state brochure [“Year of Alabama History”]
      http://tinyurl.com/3hz8g7
      Clanton Advertiser 11 October 2008

      **
      Alabama Sports Hall of Fame nominees include John Mitchell, Steve Kittrell, Rick Crawford, Reggie Copeland, Milt Bolling and Billy Shipp, all with Mobile ties
      http://tinyurl.com/4tr8v2
      Mobile Press-Register 11 October 2008

      **Pioneer Days festival brings past to life for museum visitors
      http://tinyurl.com/4noekg
      Troy Messenger 11 October 2008

      **Yesterday's News [in Mobile in 1858, 1908, etc.]
      October 13: http://tinyurl.com/4855d2
      October 11: http://tinyurl.com/3st8s5
      Mobile Press-Register

      ** Ala. newspapers of yore featured in book
      [Larry E. Caver, Jr.’s, book of abstracts from Marengo Co. newspapers 1846-1910]
      http://tinyurl.com/48awmp
      Jackson [MS] Clarion-Ledger 10 October 2008

      **Restoration of College Inn is recognized
      http://tinyurl.com/45ca9t
      Athens News Courier 10 October 2008

      ===========
      **CULTURE
      ===========

      **Grab your flashlight and get in on an Alabama ghost hunt
      http://tinyurl.com/4ycg5v
      Mobile Press-Register 12 October 2008

      **Nurse features 94 Baldwin County dogs in book
      [Terri Somme, The Dogs of Fairhope]
      http://tinyurl.com/4g6q7a
      Mobile Press-Register 12 October 2008

      **[Kentuck] Festival has it all, from folk art to power tool cozies and metal dresses
      http://tinyurl.com/4gdl69
      Tuscaloosa News 12 October 2008

      ===========
      **DEATHS
      ===========

      **[no items this issue]

      ==================
      **BONUS MATERIAL
      ==================

      **
      Alabama Train Wrecks, Tornadoes, Explosions and other disasters - just

      added at

      | http://www.gendisasters.com/

      | Troy , AL Cotton Warehouse Fire, Nov 1891

      | St Elmo, AL Train Wreck, Nov 1901

      | Birmingham , AL State Fair Grounds Accident, Oct 1891

      | Fackler , AL School Bus And Train Collision, Jan 1960

      | Talladega , AL NASCAR Davey Allison Dies In Helicopter Crash, July 1993

      | Eufaula , AL Boarding House Fire, Nov 1901

      | Selma , AL area Tornado, Jan 1885

      | Yolande , AL Coal Mine Explosion, Dec 1907

      | Wilhites Station , AL Freight Trains Collide On Bridge, Jan 1886

      | Mobile , AL Fire, Oct 1890

      | Belle Ellen , AL Coal Mine Explosion, Feb 1922

      | Birmingham , AL Metropolitan Hotel Fire, Feb 1900

      | Tuscaloosa , AL Boat Accident and Drownings, Jun 1919

      | Alexander City , AL Auto Wreck, Apr 1917

      | Montgomery , AL Storm and Drownings, Mar 1909

      | Montgomery , AL Auto Accident, Aug 1910

      | Birmingham , AL Building Collapse, Apr 1900

      | More Alabama Disasters online

      | http://www3.gendisasters.com/category/united-states/alabama

      ================
      **USEFUL LINKS
      ================

      ** Alabama History Community Calendar
      http://www.archives.alabama.gov/adahcalendar.html

      **THIS MONTH IN ALABAMA HISTORY
      http://www.archives.state.al.us/thisweek/month.html

      ** Alabama County Historical & Genealogical Societies & Records Repositories
      http://www.archives.state.al.us/referenc/hsglist.html

      ** Alabama Historical Association Marker Index
      http://www.archives.state.al.us/markers/histmarkindex.html

      ** Alabama History Resources on the Internet
      http://www.archives.alabama.gov/teacher/netres.html

      ** Birmingham Rewound
      http://www.birminghamrewound.com/

      **Project to Document the Birmingham District
      [Includes the BhamWiki and the Magic City Flickr group]
      http://tinyurl.com/yt49xj

      **activeculture.info [cultural events calendar for central Alabama ]
      http://activeculture.info/index.asp

      **activeculture.info History Events
      http://tinyurl.com/hn3lf

      **activeculture.info Literature Events
      http://tinyurl.com/fnf5l

      ***************************************

      A.J. Wright, M.L.S.
      Associate Professor
      Director, Section on the History of Anesthesia

      Department of Anesthesiology Library
      University of Alabama at Birmingham
      619 19th Street South , JT965
      Birmingham AL 35249-6810