Alabama History/Culture in the News: 30 July-4 Aug & Bonus Material

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 4, 2008
      Alabama History/Culture in the News: USE THIS ONE & Bonus Material

      NOTE:

      Materials in brackets are my additions. Items are listed more or less in reverse chronological order within each section. All links are working at the time I send this email. Many of the articles listed are printed in other Alabama newspapers; in general, I do not attempt to list all appearances of an article. Some dates given are those when the item was posted to the newspaper or magazine web site. Some items are listed without links because I could not find online versions.

      Feel free to forward this email as desired....

      AND NOW THE NEWS...

      Additional articles can often be found at Google, Topix or Yahoo news sites:

      http://news.google.com/

      http://www.topix.net/

      http://news.yahoo.com/

      Please note that many articles continue beyond the single web page I have linked here. Web sites related to some articles often appear in the "Bonus Material" section.

      COMING EVENTS*HISTORY**CULTURE**DEATHS*BONUS MATERIAL

      ================

      **COMING/ONGOING EVENTS

      ================

      ** Alabama History Community Calendar
      http://www.archives.alabama.gov/adahcalendar.html

      **Traditional Cultural Events in Alabama
      http://www.alabamafolklife.org/folkevents.html

      **Literary Events in Alabama [via Alabama Writers Forum]
      http://www.writersforum.org/calendar/default.aspx

      **’Ocean’ finds its way to Montgomery ’s Capri Theatre [August 10]
      [Capri Theatre: http://www.capritheatre.org/ ]
      [ Florence filmmaker Tonya Holly’s When I find the Ocean, filmed in Alabama ]
      Birmingham News 1 August 2008, p4G

      **'Mockingbird' performance set for Saenger Theatre [September 6]
      http://tinyurl.com/5dmzez
      Mobile Press-Register 4 August 2008

      **[Fairhope] Centennial Artists’ work on display [August & September]
      http://tinyurl.com/6p7dgn
      Mobile Press-Register 4 August 2008

      =============
      **HISTORY
      =============

      **UA grad [Gardner Patton] seeks to vindicate grandfather with film
      “Seventy years ago, anthropologist John Patton Jr. made an intriguing discovery. He dug up a skeleton that looked to be part human, part extraterrestrial at historic Moundville Archaeological Park near Tuscaloosa . The novel that Patton wrote about the astounding discovery and its implications ruined his career as an anthropologist and shamed his family.”
      [More information on the film, “A Genesis Found”, at http://agenesisfound.blogspot.com/ ]
      http://tinyurl.com/68cvyw
      Tuscaloosa News 4 August 2008

      ** Troy may bid on [ Rosa ] Parks memorabilia
      http://tinyurl.com/67njs7
      Montgomery Advertiser 4 August 2008

      **Rosa Parks Timeline
      http://tinyurl.com/5q9kty
      Montgomery Advertiser 4 August 2008

      **1936 August 4- Jesse Owens sets a new Olympic running broad jump record by leaping 26' 5 5/16".
      FROM: Today in Black History
      http://listserv.icors.org/archives/Munirah.html

      **Mayo Clinic renames building to honor [ Rosa ] Parks
      http://tinyurl.com/6ckerb
      Tuscaloosa News 3 August 2008

      **Proposed expansion to road not loved by all [in St. Florian]
      http://tinyurl.com/5uvkaq
      Florence Times-Daily 3 August 2008

      **Celebration marks fraternity's 70 years in city
      http://tinyurl.com/5w5o3l
      Montgomery Advertiser 3 August 2008

      **Downtown pizza landmark [Picklefish] closes
      http://tinyurl.com/59dyeg
      Mobile Press-Register 3 August 2008

      **Common Threads: Vacated Mills Dot Landscape of Alabama Towns
      http://tinyurl.com/6bzgjk
      iStockAnalyst 3 August 2008

      **Family, A[thens]SU history mesh as [Robert K.] Glenn takes helm
      http://tinyurl.com/6zv64p
      Athens News Courier 2 August 2008

      **Save this reminder: Don't destroy Bryce Hospital
      http://tinyurl.com/6xqj6y
      Anniston Star 2 August 2008

      **A piece of city history restored
      [The bust of former Montgomery Mayor William Adams Gunter]
      http://tinyurl.com/6glue3
      Montgomery Advertiser 2 August 2008

      **ALABAMA HISTORY: State passed first constitution
      http://tinyurl.com/5t4ezk
      Montgomery Advertiser 2 August 2008

      **Yesterday's News [in Mobile in 1858, 1908, etc.]
      August 4: http://tinyurl.com/6l36qs
      August 3: http://tinyurl.com/6ps6h8
      August 2: http://tinyurl.com/5oqt6x
      Mobile Press-Register

      **b. 01-05-1923 - Sam Phillips - Florence , AL - d. 7-30-2003
      owner Sun Records: "Lost and Found Sound" [NPR radio program]
      old.time.radio Digest V2008 Issue #187
      http://lists.oldradio.net/

      ===========
      **CULTURE
      ===========

      **M.A.D Skillz dance group competes on BET in NYC
      http://tinyurl.com/6jhzvv
      Birmingham News 4 August 2008

      **'Tinyard Hill' gets world premiere at Red Mountain Theatre Company
      [by Mark Allen, Samford graduate and Tommy Newman, Troy graduate]
      http://tinyurl.com/6jmjf9
      Birmingham News 3 August 2008

      **The secret's out about Mobile 's Mardi Gras
      http://tinyurl.com/57ltj9
      Mobile Press-Register 3 August 2008

      **Working with wood enduring legacy for furniture builder [Doug Hall]
      http://tinyurl.com/669kqn
      Mobile Press-Register 3 August 2008

      **We've made the cut with style mavens [two Mt. Brook hair studios]
      http://tinyurl.com/5peqnt
      Birmingham News 3 August 2008

      **Local filmmaker’s  [Michael Langan] work included in tour Saturday
      http://tinyurl.com/5c5ja7
      Montgomery Advertisere 1 August 2008

      **UAB "Art Matters" on BHN cable network
      http://tinyurl.com/6knqkr
      UAB Reporter Online 31 July 2008

      ===========
      **DEATHS
      ===========

      **Tide loses beloved family member
      John Mark Stallings | 1962-2008
      http://tinyurl.com/5ldjp7
      Tuscaloosa News 3 August 2008

      **Interstate [I-65 in Alabama ] engineer [John] Skinner dies at 83
      http://tinyurl.com/59q5zr
      Monttgomery Advertiser 2 August 2008

      ==================
      **BONUS MATERIAL
      ==================

      **[no entries this issue]

      ================
      **USEFUL LINKS
      ================

      ** Alabama History Community Calendar
      http://www.archives.alabama.gov/adahcalendar.html

      **THIS MONTH IN ALABAMA HISTORY
      http://www.archives.state.al.us/thisweek/month.html

      ** Alabama County Historical & Genealogical Societies & Records Repositories
      http://www.archives.state.al.us/referenc/hsglist.html

      ** Alabama Historical Association Marker Index
      http://www.archives.state.al.us/markers/histmarkindex.html

      ** Alabama History Resources on the Internet
      http://www.archives.alabama.gov/teacher/netres.html

      ** Birmingham Rewound
      http://www.birminghamrewound.com/

      **Project to Document the Birmingham District
      [Includes the BhamWiki and the Magic City Flickr group]
      http://tinyurl.com/yt49xj

      **activeculture.info [cultural events calendar for central Alabama ]
      http://activeculture.info/index.asp

      **activeculture.info History Events
      http://tinyurl.com/hn3lf

      **activeculture.info Literature Events
      http://tinyurl.com/fnf5l

      ***************************************

      A.J. Wright, M.L.S.
      Associate Professor
      Director, Section on the History of Anesthesia

      Department of Anesthesiology Library
      University of Alabama at Birmingham
      619 19th Street South , JT965
      Birmingham AL 35249-6810