Alabama History/Culture in the News: 17-23 & Bonus Material

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 23, 2008
      Alabama History/Culture in the News: USE THIS ONE & Bonus Material

      NOTE:

      Materials in brackets are my additions. Items are listed more or less in reverse chronological order within each section. All links are working at the time I send this email and post them to the web page listing. Many of the articles listed are printed in other Alabama newspapers; in general, I do not attempt to list all appearances of an article. Some dates given are those when the item was posted to the web site. Some items are listed without links because I could not find online versions.

      Feel free to forward this email as desired....

      AND NOW THE NEWS...

      Additional articles can often be found at Google, Topix or Yahoo news sites:

      http://news.google.com/

      http://www.topix.net/

      http://news.yahoo.com/

      Please note that many articles continue beyond the single web page I have linked here. Web sites related to some articles often appear in the "Bonus Material" section.

      COMING EVENTS*HISTORY**CULTURE**DEATHS*BONUS MATERIAL

      ================

      **COMING/ONGOING EVENTS

      ================

      ** Alabama History Community Calendar
      http://www.archives.alabama.gov/adahcalendar.html

      **Traditional Cultural Events in Alabama
      http://www.alabamafolklife.org/folkevents.html

      **Literary Events in Alabama [via Alabama Writers Forum]
      http://www.writersforum.org/calendar/default.aspx

      **Alabama Archives plans training event [August 16]
      http://tinyurl.com/6k95dl
      Mobile Press-Register 22 July 2008

      =============
      **HISTORY
      =============

      **City council accepts park, museum

      Hank Aaron museum also given OK
      http://tinyurl.com/6y6hue
      Mobile Press-Register 23 July 2008

      **Gardendale, Alabama historians want historic road identified [ Stouts Road , dating from 1823]
      http://tinyurl.com/5ezxdo
      Birmingham News 23 July 2008

      **Born Into Battle
      [Review of THE AGITATOR'S DAUGHTER: A Memoir of Four Generations of One Extraordinary African-American Family by Sheryll Cashin; her great-grandfather, Herschel V. Cashin, and father, John L. Cashin, Jr., were active in Alabama politics]

      http://tinyurl.com/5fglkt
      Washington Post 23 July 2008

      **Soul Collection
      “The University of Alabama 's acquisition of one of the world's largest African-American cookbook collections did more than bring food to Alabama .”
      http://tinyurl.com/5ht8vg
      Tuscaloosa News 23 July 2008

      **Books trace history of soul food movement
      http://tinyurl.com/6xwsdr
      Tuscaloosa News 23 July 2008

      **Nearly 40-year-old downtown shop shutters its doors [Downtown Trading Co.]
      http://tinyurl.com/6ayxru
      Tuscaloosa News 23 July 2008

      **ALABAMA HISTORY
      [William Lowndes] Yancey's death brought city to halt

      http://tinyurl.com/6met9q
      Montgomery Advertiser 23 July 2008

      **Mansion [in Bon Secour built in 1882] on track for tours

      Swift-Coles home donated by late Nick Coles needs about $50,000 in work before it can be opened this fall
      http://tinyurl.com/59vw9k
      Mobile Press-Register 22 July 2008

      **
      A wealth of civil rights history
      Auctioneer hopes to find an appropriate home for more than 2,000 of Rosa Parks' belongings.
      http://tinyurl.com/5dam9f
      Philadelphia Inquirer 22 July 2008

      **Hank Aaron's childhood home will be museum
      http://tinyurl.com/65b46a
      Montgomery Advertiser 22 July 2008

      **Open House [Hank Aaron visits childhood home]
      http://tinyurl.com/6g5n5j
      Mobile Press-Register 22 July 2008

      **Yesterday’s News [in Mobile in 1858, 1908, etc.]
      July 23: http://tinyurl.com/5lah7e
      July 22: http://tinyurl.com/6zz3tw
      Mobile Press-Register

      **
      Memorial honors [ Florence police] officers who have fallen in line of duty
      http://tinyurl.com/62j5nj
      Florence Times-Daily 21 July 2008

      **2008 July 22: Actress and Birmingham native Louise Fletcher turns 74.

      ** Prattville celebrates its founder's birthday
      http://tinyurl.com/6aowjf
      Montgomery Advertiser 21 July 2008

      **b. 07-21-1915 - Floyd McDaniel - Athens , AL - d. 7-22-1995 guitarist, vocalist: (Member of the Ink Spots) "The Four Ink Spots"; "Let's Go Nightclubbing" [radio shows]
      old.time.radio Digest V2008 Issue #179
      http://lists.oldradio.net/

      **Handiwork of family restored and treasured [ Helena ’s C.T. Davidson House, built in 1895]
      http://tinyurl.com/65pbyq
      Shelby County Reporter 18 July 2008

      ===========
      **CULTURE
      ===========

      **The First 48' film crews to shadow homicide detectives as they track killers in Birmingham
      http://tinyurl.com/6fsepz
      Birmingham News 23 July 2008

      **
      Street party back for W.C. Handy Festival
      http://tinyurl.com/5jfats
      Florence Times-Daily 23 July 2008

      **'Voice of Legion Field' Simpson Pepper in grave health
      http://tinyurl.com/6jvtz3
      Birmingham News 22 July 2008

      **This One’s for Daddy
      [review of Rick Bragg’s The Prince of Frogtown]
      http://tinyurl.com/6chpdy
      New York Times 20 July 2008

      **Metal core band [I Am Terrified] to release EP in Pelham
      http://tinyurl.com/69dmuq
      Shelby County Reporter 17 July 2008

      ===========
      **DEATHS
      ===========

      **Longtime local physician Adrien Bodet Jr. dies

      Noted internist and cardiologist moved here in the 1950s to lead medical education at Mobile County Hospital

      http://tinyurl.com/5clao2
      Mobile Press-Register 23 July 2008

      **Our view: A history of a historian [Wendell Stepp, who died July 21]
      [Stepp was co-author of Dothan, A Pictorial History]
      http://tinyurl.com/5fyz4v
      Dothan Eagle 22 July 2008

      **Friends mourn Dothan historian [Wendell Stepp]
      http://tinyurl.com/6ejm58
      Dothan Eagle 22 July 2008

      **History teacher, 'Golden Soror' dies
      [Bertha Underwood, longtime teacher at ASU; hopefully this link works!]
      http://tinyurl.com/6lvo2m
      Montgomery Advertiser 18 July 2008

      ==================
      **BONUS MATERIAL
      ==================

      ** Alabama Prison Arts + Education Project
      http://media.cla.auburn.edu/apaep/index.cfm

      ** Eastern Shore Art Center [Fairhope]
      http://www.esartcenter.com/ArtWalks.shtml

      ================
      **USEFUL LINKS
      ================

      ** Alabama History Community Calendar
      http://www.archives.alabama.gov/adahcalendar.html

      **THIS MONTH IN ALABAMA HISTORY
      http://www.archives.state.al.us/thisweek/month.html

      ** Alabama County Historical & Genealogical Societies & Records Repositories
      http://www.archives.state.al.us/referenc/hsglist.html

      ** Alabama Historical Association Marker Index
      http://www.archives.state.al.us/markers/histmarkindex.html

      ** Alabama History Resources on the Internet
      http://www.archives.alabama.gov/teacher/netres.html

      ** Birmingham Rewound
      http://www.birminghamrewound.com/

      **Project to Document the Birmingham District
      [Includes the BhamWiki and the Magic City Flickr group]
      http://tinyurl.com/yt49xj

      **activeculture.info [cultural events calendar for central Alabama ]
      http://activeculture.info/index.asp

      **activeculture.info History Events
      http://tinyurl.com/hn3lf

      **activeculture.info Literature Events
      http://tinyurl.com/fnf5l

      ===============================
      **alabamahistory related links
      ===============================

      Listings since July 2002:

      Alabama History & Culture in the News
      http://www.anes.uab.edu/alahistnews0.htm

      Listings prior to that date are in the Yahoo archives.

      alabamahistory archives at Yahoo:

      ***************************************

      A.J. Wright, M.L.S.
      Associate Professor
      Director, Section on the History of Anesthesia

      Department of Anesthesiology Library
      University of Alabama at Birmingham
      619 19th Street South , JT965
      Birmingham AL 35249-6810