Alabama History/Culture in the News: 30 June-7 July [Part 2]

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 7 10:49 AM

      NOTE:

      Materials in brackets are my additions. Items are listed more or less in reverse chronological order within each section. All links are working at the time I send this email and post them to the web page listing. Many of the articles listed are printed in other Alabama newspapers; in general, I do not attempt to list all appearances of an article. Some dates given are those when the item was posted to the web site. Some items are listed without links because I could not find online versions.

      Feel free to forward this email as desired....

      AND NOW THE NEWS...

      Additional articles can often be found at Google, Topix or Yahoo news sites:

      http://news.google.com/

      http://www.topix.net/

      http://news.yahoo.com/

      Please note that many articles continue beyond the single web page I have linked here. Web sites related to some articles often appear in the "Bonus Material" section.

      COMING EVENTS*HISTORY**CULTURE**DEATHS*BONUS MATERIAL

      ================

      **COMING EVENTS

      ================

      ** Alabama History Community Calendar

      http://www.archives.alabama.gov/adahcalendar.html

      **Traditional Cultural Events in Alabama

      http://www.alabamafolklife.org/folkevents.html

      **Literary Events in Alabama [via Alabama Writers Forum]

      http://www.writersforum.org/calendar/default.aspx

      =============

      **HISTORY

      =============

      **
      Proposal made to move lighthouse [123-year-old Middle Bay Lighthouse]
      http://tinyurl.com/556tps
      Mobile Press-Register 7 July 2008

      **Pistols banned here - in 1908
      http://tinyurl.com/5bpozf
      Mobile Press-Register 7 July 2008

      **"Cousin Cliff" Holman begins final chapter with his true love by his side
      http://tinyurl.com/5w7nm9
      Birmingham News 6 July 2008

      **
      Kathy Kemp column - Original farmers market in Birmingham hasn't changed much since 1957
      http://tinyurl.com/565sqs
      Birmingham News 6 July 2008

      **Olympic Swim Trials
      Auburn ’s [Margaret] Heolzer sets world record
      Birmingham News 6 July 2008, p7D

      **
      James Dawson's tumultuous legacy [on Huntsville school board]
      http://tinyurl.com/5vmlh2
      Huntsville Times 6 July 2008

      **New brochures are all part of group's 'Hallelujah Trail' [historic churches in north Alabama ]
      http://tinyurl.com/6s9eds
      Huntsville Times 4 July 2008

      **Holding family obelisks tallest in [ Madison City ] cemetery
      http://tinyurl.com/67pl43
      Huntsville Times 2 July 2008

      **Change to historic board denied [ Mobile ’s Architectural Review Board]
      http://tinyurl.com/5m3xpb
      Mobile Press-Register 2 July 2008

      **Historic group against board changes

      Council to weigh proposal that would alter how architectural panel is appointed
      http://tinyurl.com/5893pg
      Mobile Press-Register 1 July 2008

      **Yesterday’s News [in Mobile in 1858, 1908, etc.]
      July 7: http://tinyurl.com/65y4ms
      July 5: http://tinyurl.com/57mvt4
      July 4: http://tinyurl.com/5kne8s
      July 3: http://tinyurl.com/5v393f
      July 1: http://tinyurl.com/5zjmcm

      Mobile Press-Register

      **Charley Pell keeps fighting in special film [“The Legacy of Charley Pell”]

      Birmingham News 30 June 2008, p8C

      ===========

      **CULTURE

      ===========

      **
      Book by local author honored [Harold Winton]
      http://tinyurl.com/5g6j2z
      Montgomery Advertiser 7 July 2008

      **Clay-area couple create museum-quality wooden works of art [Suzanne & Bud Richards]
      http://tinyurl.com/59gh4f
      Birmingham News 6 July 2008

      **Physician's poem gets AMA nod for publication [Dr. Scott Williams]
      http://tinyurl.com/6y2wbe
      Huntsville Times 5 July 2008

      **Film starring [Vivica A.] Fox to be shot in city
      http://tinyurl.com/6n3wfj
      Birmingham News 3 July 2008

      ===========

      **DEATHS

      ===========

      **Kenneth Daniel, former ACIPCO president, dies at 94
      http://tinyurl.com/6gpy8a
      Birmingham News 7 July 2008

      ==================

      **BONUS MATERIAL

      ==================

      **[no entries this issue]

      ================

      **USEFUL LINKS

      ================

      ** Alabama History Community Calendar

      http://www.archives.alabama.gov/adahcalendar.html

      **THIS MONTH IN ALABAMA HISTORY

      http://www.archives.state.al.us/thisweek/month.html

      ** Alabama County Historical & Genealogical Societies & Records Repositories

      http://www.archives.state.al.us/referenc/hsglist.html

      ** Alabama Historical Association Marker Index

      http://www.archives.state.al.us/markers/histmarkindex.html

      ** Alabama History Resources on the Internet

      http://www.archives.alabama.gov/teacher/netres.html

      ** Birmingham Rewound

      http://www.birminghamrewound.com/

      **Project to Document the Birmingham District

      [Includes the BhamWiki and the Magic City Flickr group]

      http://tinyurl.com/yt49xj

      **activeculture.info [cultural events calendar for central Alabama ]

      http://activeculture.info/index.asp

      **activeculture.info History Events

      http://tinyurl.com/hn3lf

      **activeculture.info Literature Events

      http://tinyurl.com/fnf5l

      ===============================

      **alabamahistory related links

      ===============================

      Listings since July 2002:

      Alabama History & Culture in the News

      http://www.anes.uab.edu/alahistnews0.htm

      Listings prior to that date are in the Yahoo archives.

      alabamahistory archives at Yahoo:

      ***************************************

      A.J. Wright, M.L.S.

      Associate Professor

      Director, Section on the History of Anesthesia

      Department of Anesthesiology Library

      University of Alabama at Birmingham

      619 19th Street South, JT965

      Birmingham AL 35249-6810