Alabama History/Culture in the News: 29 May-4 June & Bonus Material

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 4, 2008
      Alabama History/Culture in the News: USE THIS ONE & Bonus Material

      NOTE:

      Materials in brackets are my additions. Items are listed more or less in reverse chronological order within each section. All links are working at the time I send this email and post them to the web page listing. Many of the articles listed are printed in other Alabama newspapers; in general, I do not attempt to list all appearances of an article. Some dates given are those when the item was posted to the web site. Some items are listed without links because I could not find online versions.

      Feel free to forward this email as desired....

      AND NOW THE NEWS...

      Additional articles can often be found at Google, Topix or Yahoo news sites:

      http://news.google.com/

      http://www.topix.net/

      http://news.yahoo.com/

      Please note that many articles continue beyond the single web page I have linked here. Web sites related to some articles often appear in the "Bonus Material" section.

      COMING EVENTS*HISTORY**CULTURE**DEATHS*BONUS MATERIAL

      ================

      **COMING EVENTS

      ================

      ** Alabama History Community Calendar
      http://www.archives.alabama.gov/adahcalendar.html

      **Traditional Cultural Events in Alabama
      http://www.alabamafolklife.org/folkevents.html

      **Literary Events in Alabama [via Alabama Writers Forum]
      http://www.writersforum.org/calendar/default.aspx

      **Will Rogers Festival kicks off Thursday in Guntersville [June 5]
      “Will Rogers, a writer, actor, humorist and cowboy, was the great-grandson of Guntersville's founder, John Gunter and his wife, Ghenoheli, daughter of a Cherokee Indian chief.”
      http://tinyurl.com/5nkhbo
      Huntsville Times 3 June 2008

      **Walking tours highlight Montevallo history [each Saturday in June]
      http://tinyurl.com/4qxc3n
      Shelby County Reporter 3 June 2008

      **Roundtable Technology Exchange—July 31, ADAH, Montgomery
      The Roundtable Technology Exchange will convene Alabama ’s cultural, historical, art and educational organizations to discuss our individual and shared tech opportunities and challenges. It will also feature a free seminar on e-marketing and communications by Patron Technology, Inc., provider of professional e-marketing for arts, nonprofits and creative businesses. http://media.cla.auburn.edu/cah/techexchange/index.cfm

      **"Imprinting the South: Works on Paper from the Collection of Lynn Barstis Williams and Stephen J. Goldfarb" will be on display at Auburn University 's Jule Collins Smith Museum of Fine Art through Aug. 23. The exhibition is part of the museum's continuing "Auburn Collects" series, featuring works on paper that reflect the culture, economy and landscape of the South.   Birmingham News 4 June 2008

      **The University of North Alabama has announced the dates for its 2009 George Lindsey Film Festival. The festival will be held March 5-8 and will feature works by students, faculty and professional filmmakers. Information: Cynthia Burkhead, 256-765-4790 or caburkhead@... Birmingham News 4 June 2008

      =============
      **HISTORY
      =============

      ** Bessemer council OKs $18,500 to meet grant or renovation of Bessemer Hall of History
      http://tinyurl.com/5xu4sy
      Birmingham News 4 June 2008

      **Deep digging turns up Sugars Turner's connection to Wall-Triana
      http://tinyurl.com/4ztzvx
      Huntsville Times 4 June 2008

      **Century-old steam power source may end in Birmingham
      Century-old source called inefficient
      http://tinyurl.com/69cm5e
      Birmingham News 4 June 2008

      **A list of ASWA small college athletes of the year [1983-2007]
      http://tinyurl.com/6g8oyd
      Tuscaloosa News 4 June 2008

      **Southern White House reopens to public
      [First White House of the Confederacy]
      http://tinyurl.com/5d9b9l
      Montgomery Advertiser 4 June 2008

      **1972 June 4- [Ala. native] Angela Davis is acquitted by 11 whites and one Mexican American of murder, kidnapping, and criminal conspiracy
      charges brought in connection with a 1970 courthouse shoot-out in San Rafael, California.
      FROM: Today in Black History
      http://listserv.icors.org/archives/Munirah.html

      **After 80 years, [Camp] Westmoreland still making history
      http://tinyurl.com/6d4adm
      Florence Times-Daily 3June 2008

      **Jeffco council endorses Ensley tower restoration
      http://tinyurl.com/5535xz
      Birmingham News 3 June 2008

      ** Birmingham , Alabama native [Jack Weeks] who flew CIA spyplanes to be honored in Mobile
      http://tinyurl.com/6sxm2a
      Birmingham News 3 June 2008

      **Comprehensive history of Birmingham and Jefferson County captured in book by Jim Bennett
      http://tinyurl.com/4qvzto
      Birmingham News 3 June 2008

      **Take a city stroll, learn a bit of history
      http://tinyurl.com/3m83n9
      Florence Times-Daily 3 June 2008

      **Group celebrates birth of Jefferson Davis
      http://tinyurl.com/5zbb4j
      Montgomery Advertiser 3 June 2008

      ** ALABAMA HISTORY: First POWs arrived at Aliceville in 1943
      http://tinyurl.com/66gq2c
      Montgomery Advertiser 3 June 2008

      **Yesterday’s News [in Mobile in 1858, 1908, etc.]
      June 4: http://tinyurl.com/3mvtno
      June 3: http://tinyurl.com/56zxof [check out this one for the story of the “Hoodoo”]
      Mobile Press-Register

      **Ties that bind
      New biography traces the life and times of Alabama ’s youngest governor [John Patterson]
      http://tinyurl.com/5gylm3
      Birmingham Weekly 29 May 2008

      ===========
      **CULTURE
      ===========

      **Bob Jones [H.S.] showcases fine arts bounty in shining event
      http://tinyurl.com/4e6zl5
      Huntsville Times 4 June 2008

      **Foley room-box artist [Ann Davis] enjoys all-around beauty of South
      http://tinyurl.com/4bh3u3
      Mobile Press-Register 4 June 2008

      **[UNA] Theater [Dept.] hopes to return to glory days of the '70s
      http://tinyurl.com/5zd7h8
      Florence Times-Daily 4 June 2008

      **Helfin barbecue house [Marie’s] is community staple
      http://tinyurl.com/5fk4ea
      Tuscaloosa News 4 June 2008

      **"Language, Power, and Identity in the Lament Psalms of the Individual," a book by Amy Cottrill, assistant professor of religion at Birmingham-Southern College, was recently published by T&T Clark International. Birmingham News 4 June 2008

      **"When they move away, I take it personally. When they don't get the jobs, I get upset."
      [Jewish community in Birmingham ]
      http://tinyurl.com/5gdwr7
      Birmingham News 3 June 2008

      **Crew shoots 'Final Destination 4' scene at raceway
      http://tinyurl.com/4wnng2
      Mobile Press-Register blog 2 June 2008

      **[Kathryn Tucker] Windham celebrates 90 years
      http://tinyurl.com/524l5v
      Selma Times-Journal 1 June 2008

      ===========
      **DEATHS
      ===========

      **Former Alabama Republican Party Executive Director Tim Baer dies at the age of 57
      http://tinyurl.com/5gw7nh
      Birmingham News 3 June 2008

      **Hall Street Baptist pastor [Frank Ray] Johnson dies
      http://tinyurl.com/5g673v
      Montgomery Advertiser 3 June 2008

      ==================
      **BONUS MATERIAL
      ==================

      **Helen Keller, 87, Dies
      http://www.nytimes.com/learning/general/onthisday/bday/0627.html
      New York Times 2 June 1968

      **Satchel Paige, Black Pitching Star, Is Dead at 75
      http://www.nytimes.com/learning/general/onthisday/bday/0707.html
      New York Times 9 June 1982

      ** Alabama - 35 new historical articles (785 total) at Newspaper Abstracts
      http://www.newspaperabstracts.com/index.php?action=displaycat&catid=314

      **Forthcoming Book with Alabama Connection

      Owen, Randy. Born Country: My Life in Alabama : How Faith, Family, and Music Brought Me Home. HarperOne, November 2008

      ================
      **USEFUL LINKS
      ================

      ** Alabama History Community Calendar
      http://www.archives.alabama.gov/adahcalendar.html

      **THIS MONTH IN ALABAMA HISTORY
      http://www.archives.state.al.us/thisweek/month.html

      ** Alabama County Historical & Genealogical Societies & Records Repositories
      http://www.archives.state.al.us/referenc/hsglist.html

      ** Alabama Historical Association Marker Index
      http://www.archives.state.al.us/markers/histmarkindex.html

      ** Alabama History Resources on the Internet
      http://www.archives.alabama.gov/teacher/netres.html

      ** Birmingham Rewound
      http://www.birminghamrewound.com/

      **Project to Document the Birmingham District
      [Includes the BhamWiki and the Magic City Flickr group]
      http://tinyurl.com/yt49xj

      **activeculture.info [cultural events calendar for central Alabama ]
      http://activeculture.info/index.asp

      **activeculture.info History Events
      http://tinyurl.com/hn3lf

      **activeculture.info Literature Events
      http://tinyurl.com/fnf5l

      ===============================
      **alabamahistory related links
      ===============================

      Listings since July 2002:

      Alabama History & Culture in the News
      http://www.anes.uab.edu/alahistnews0.htm

      Listings prior to that date are in the Yahoo archives.

      alabamahistory archives at Yahoo:

      ***************************************

      A.J. Wright, M.L.S.
      Associate Professor
      Director, Section on the History of Anesthesia

      Department of Anesthesiology Library
      University of Alabama at Birmingham
      619 19th Street South , JT965
      Birmingham AL 35249-6810