W. H. Parish Publishing and Gravure Illustration Co.

  • Zach Rice
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 14, 1998
      Here's an interesting note from another list with an Alabama history
      connnection....if anyone responds, please do so directly to the author
      as well as to alabamahistory...aj wright
      Dear SHARP-L and PHOTOHST:

      I am looking for info on the W. H. Parish Publishing Co. and the Gravure
      Illustration Co. both of Chicago and also on the phenomenon of
      subscription books, especially illustrating buildings.

      Both Parish and Gravure published from ca. 1891 to 1930 about 160
      different multi-part books of photographs of civic buildings and the
      houses of the well-to-do in cities and towns around the US. The books
      were sold locally by subscription to the owners of the houses, and
      perhaps the public. The titles of the Parish and Gravure books almost
      always begin with "Art Work of . . ." or "Artwork Scenes in . . . ."
      Some examples are "Art Work of Washtenaw County," "Art Work of Jersey
      City," "Artwork Scenes in Alabama," and "Art Work Scenes in Piedmont
      Section of South Carolina," which is the specific volume I am working
      on.

      I would appreciate any references to these publishers or their books or
      their photographers, especially in local or regional publications that
      do not show up in standard bibliographic searches.

      I am also interested in the general literature on books sold by
      subscription (as these were), especially to "patrons" who would have had
      a personal interest or stake in the things illustrated or described in
      the book.

      Zach Rice
      Pendleton, South Carolina
      zwr@...