Alabama History/Culture in the News: 2-5 March & Bonus Material

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 5, 2008
      Anesthesia History/Culture in the News: USE THIS ONE & Bonus Material

      NOTE:

      Materials in brackets are my additions. Items are listed more or less in reverse chronological order within each section. All links are working at the time I send this email and post them to the web page listing. Many of the articles listed are reprinted in other Alabama newspapers; in general, I do not list those reprints. Some items are listed without links because I could not find online versions.

      Feel free to forward this email as desired....

      AND NOW THE NEWS...

      Additional articles can often be found at Google, Topix or Yahoo news sites:

      http://news.google.com/

      http://www.topix.net/

      http://news.yahoo.com/

      Please note that many articles continue beyond the single web page I have linked here. Web sites related to some articles often appear in the "Bonus Material" section.

      COMING EVENTS*HISTORY**CULTURE**DEATHS*BONUS MATERIAL

      ================

      **COMING EVENTS

      ================

      ** Alabama History Community Calendar
      http://www.archives.alabama.gov/adahcalendar.html

      **Traditional Cultural Events in Alabama
      http://www.alabamafolklife.org/folkevents.html

      **Literary Events in Alabama [via Alabama Writers Forum]
      http://www.writersforum.org/calendar/default.aspx

      **Billy Bob Thornton headlines George Lindsey film festival [March 6-9]
      http://tinyurl.com/2a6nsz
      Birmingham News 4 March 2008

      **History [of Noccalula Falls ] classes  return Thursday [March 6, 13, 20]
      http://tinyurl.com/38ke82
      Gadsden Times 4 March 2008

      **[ Fitzgerald Museum ’s annual] Gatsby gala [March 7]
      http://tinyurl.com/24dyy2
      Montgomery Advertiser 5 March 2008

      =============
      **HISTORY
      =============

      **Hixson Hall bites the dust
      [named after Florence A. Hixson, founding dean of UA School of Nursing]
      http://tinyurl.com/2lubk3
      Kaleidoscope [UAB] 4 March 2008

      **[ Baldwin ] County eyes [purchase of historical Walter] Overton works
      http://tinyurl.com/yvtvn4
      Mobile Press-Register 4 March 2008

      ** AL : Growing Tourism Through History
      http://tinyurl.com/yrmp93
      WRBL-TV [ Columbus GA ] 4 March 2008

      **Group honors 2 Tuskegee Airmen
      http://tinyurl.com/yoqty6
      Montgomery Advertiser 4 March 2008

      **Civil rights tour stops in Montgomery
      http://tinyurl.com/24x782
      Montgomery Advertiser 4 March 2008

      **Yesterday’s News [in Mobile in 1858, 1908, etc.]
      March 5: http://tinyurl.com/228sye
      March 4: http://tinyurl.com/2bpslx
      Mobile Press-Register

      **Two Tuskegee Airmen among 19 vets honored by education group
      http://tinyurl.com/2elyc5
      Montgomery Advertiser 3 March 2008

      ===========
      **CULTURE
      ===========

      **Moody High School literary magazine takes national honors
      http://tinyurl.com/yu8bne
      Birmingham News 5 March 2008

      **Art Scene
      “The Birmingham Museum of Art recently opened “My Land, My People”, an exhibit featuring the photographs of journalist Kathryn Tucker Windham.”
      http://tinyurl.com/38wdp6
      Kaleidoscope [UAB] 4 March 2008

      **Organizers say [George Lindsey/UNA] film fest about telling stories
      [March 6-9]
      http://tinyurl.com/2zp8vj
      Florence Times-Daily 2 March 2008

      ===========
      **DEATHS
      ===========

      **John Hunt descendant [Lillie Bea Woods] wasn't boastful about her heritage
      http://tinyurl.com/yskpuf
      Huntsville Times 5 March 2008

      **Voice of the Shoals' Jack Voorhies dies
      [local radio personality for more than 50 years]
      http://tinyurl.com/2uf3do
      Florence Times-Daily 5 March 2008

      ==================
      **BONUS MATERIAL
      ==================

      **Joyful noise in Talladega
      The Blind Boys of Alabama come home
      http://tinyurl.com/24pece
      Birmingham Weekly 28 February 2008

      **Digesting Man Food
      New history book highlights recipes from the iron trade
      http://tinyurl.com/ywjxf4
      Birmingham Weekly 10 January 2008

      **Out of the Box
      The art of Nall now
      http://tinyurl.com/ypmyvn
      Birmingham Weekly 17 January 2008

      **Joe Minter's African Village
      A photo essay by Jonathan Purvis
      http://tinyurl.com/ypyhut
      Birmingham Weekly 21 February 2008

      **Answering history’s bell
      The good fight—and sorry treatment—of boxing legend Joe Louis
      http://tinyurl.com/2e35on
      Birmingham Weekly 21 February 2008

      ================
      **USEFUL LINKS
      ================

      ** Alabama History Community Calendar
      http://www.archives.alabama.gov/adahcalendar.html

      **THIS MONTH IN ALABAMA HISTORY
      http://www.archives.state.al.us/thisweek/month.html

      ** Alabama County Historical & Genealogical Societies & Records Repositories
      http://www.archives.state.al.us/referenc/hsglist.html

      ** Alabama Historical Association Marker Index
      http://www.archives.state.al.us/markers/histmarkindex.html

      ** Alabama History Resources on the Internet
      http://www.archives.alabama.gov/teacher/netres.html

      ** Birmingham Rewound
      http://www.birminghamrewound.com/

      **Project to Document the Birmingham District
      [Includes the BhamWiki and the Magic City Flickr group]
      http://tinyurl.com/yt49xj

      **activeculture.info [cultural events calendar for central Alabama ]
      http://activeculture.info/index.asp

      **activeculture.info History Events
      http://tinyurl.com/hn3lf

      **activeculture.info Literature Events
      http://tinyurl.com/fnf5l

      ===============================
      **alabamahistory related links
      ===============================

      Listings since July 2002:

      Alabama History & Culture in the News
      http://www.anes.uab.edu/alahistnews0.htm

      Listings prior to that date are in the Yahoo archives.

      alabamahistory archives at Yahoo:

      ***************************************

      A.J. Wright, M.L.S.
      Associate Professor
      Director, Section on the History of Anesthesia

      Department of Anesthesiology Library
      University of Alabama at Birmingham
      619 19th Street South , JT965
      Birmingham AL 35249-6810