Re: [alabamahistory] Young Adult Authors Featured at Alabama Book Festival

  • Claire Wilson
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 26, 2008
      Will Hannah Montana be attending?

      >>> "Mark Wilson" <wilsom3@...> 02/23/08 10:11 PM >>>
      Dear Friends:

      Attached and pasted below is a new release on the talented young adult
      authors who will be featured at the Alabama Book Festival on April 19 at
      Old Alabama Town in Montgomery. Please feel free to share with your
      constituencies and help us publicize this free, statewide literary arts
      event. See www.alabamabookcenter.org for more information on over 60
      authors who will be present at ABF 2008, and don't hesitate to call us
      if you have any questions.

      Sincerely,

      Mark Wilson
      Alabama Center for the Book

      FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
      DATE: February 23, 2008
      CONTACT: Mark Wilson, Alabama Center for the Book, mwilson@...,
      334-844-4946

      YOUNG ADULT WRITERS FEATURED AT BOOK FESTIVAL ON APRIL 19th

      Who says teenagers don’t read? Not the award-winning teen writers who
      will be on hand at the Alabama Book Festival on April 19 in Montgomery.

      Among the featured young adult-or YA-and teen writers for this year’s
      festival are Jay Asher, author of Thirteen Reasons Why, R. A. Nelson,
      author of Teach Me and the recently published Breathe My Name, and
      Jennifer Echols, whose books are Major Crush and The Boys Next Door.

      These writers find an avid audience among young readers for their
      works, many of which touch on issues important to young people, ranging
      from first love to teen suicide. Their awards testify to their success.
      Asher’s Thirteen Reasons Why was named one of the Best Books for Young
      Adults in 2008 and one of Barnes & Noble’s Top 10 Best for Teens 2007.
      Nelson’s Teach Me was a New York Public Library Best Teen Book.
      Echols’s Major Crush was a National Readers' Choice. Her teen drama,
      Boy in Blue, will be published by MTV Books in March 2009.

      Echols and Nelson have Alabama connections: Echols grew up in a small
      town in Alabama and now lives in Birmingham. Nelson works at NASA’s
      Marshall Space Flight Center. He says one lesson from his book Teach Me,
      about a relationship between a teacher and student, is “not to isolate
      yourself from the important people around you, family and friends.”

      Asher is based in California, but he already has a following among
      Alabama students. “Holtville Middle School held the very first (as far
      as I know) book club discussion using my book,” notes Asher.

      “A little over a month before the discussion, their school librarian
      contacted me and we began brainstorming ways to make the meeting as
      special as possible for the students.” Asher goes on, “I sent the
      students bookmarks and autographed bookplates. They submitted questions
      about the book or my writing process, and then I recorded my answers on
      an audiocassette, which they listened to as part of their meeting.”

      Asher says, “The idea started spreading. Now schools in many states
      across the country are putting together their own Thirteen Reasons Why
      book clubs, following Holtville Middle School's format.”

      These writers and more than 50 others will be on hand at the Alabama
      Book Festival on April 19. To be held on the grounds of Montgomery’s
      historic Old Alabama Town, the festival will open at 9 a.m. and run
      until 4 p.m. It is a free event and will include exhibits, activities
      and presentations for all ages.

      Sponsored by the Alabama Center for the Book, Old Alabama Town, the
      Alabama State Council on the Arts, Alagasco, AT&T, Auburn University’s
      College of Liberal Arts and many others, the festival is a signature
      literary event for the entire state. For a full list of festival
      authors/presenters and more information, go to
      www.alabamabookcenter.org.

      --end--

      Mark Wilson, Ph.D.
      Caroline Marshall Draughon