Alabama History/Culture in the News: 23-25 Jan & Bonus Material

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 25 8:44 AM
      Alabama History/Culture in the News: USE THIS ONE & Bonus Material

      NOTE:

      Materials in brackets are my additions. Items are listed more or less in reverse chronological order within each section. All links are working at the time I send this email and post them to the web page listing. Many of the articles listed are reprinted in other Alabama newspapers; in general, I do not list those reprints. Some items are listed without links because I could not find online versions.

      Feel free to forward this email as desired....

      AND NOW THE NEWS...

      Additional articles can often be found at Google, Topix or Yahoo news sites:

      http://news.google.com/

      http://www.topix.net/

      http://news.yahoo.com/

      Please note that many articles continue beyond the single web page I have linked here. Web sites related to some articles often appear in the "Bonus Material" section.

      COMING EVENTS*HISTORY**CULTURE**DEATHS*BONUS MATERIAL

      ================

      **COMING EVENTS

      ================

      ** Alabama History Community Calendar
      http://www.archives.alabama.gov/adahcalendar.html

      **Traditional Cultural Events in Alabama
      http://www.alabamafolklife.org/folkevents.html

      **Literary Events in Alabama [via Alabama Writers Forum]
      http://www.writersforum.org/calendar/default.aspx

      ** Alabama Stories
      Explorer I
      Friday, January 25, 2008 at 7:00PM on Alabama Public Television
      This program examines Alabama ’s role in American space exploration as it celebrates the 50th Anniversary of the launch of Explorer I, the first U.S. satellite. Explorer I was launched January 31, 1958 by the Jupiter-C rocket that was developed at Huntsville ’s Redstone Arsenal.

      **
      Leslie Bailey's Southern View
      Selma
      Saturday, January 26, 2008 at 1:00PM on Alabama Public Television
      Today we’re in Selma , where we learn about the city’s annual historic pilgrimage tour of homes. The show also features a segment on the interactive center for Civil Rights, which is located just outside Selma ’s city limits, and includes an interview with Mrs. Johnnie Carr, Civil Rights activist, and her son Arlem, who was one of the first African Americans to integrate Montgomery schools. The program again features Bailey preparing a tasty dish in her kitchen and highlights more of the “100 Dishes to Eat in Alabama Before You Die.” Dave Finger takes us to the Raptor Center at Auburn University .

      **
      Museum's Winter Festival continues [Jan. 27]

      “ Baldwin County Heritage Museum 's second annual Winter Festival continues Sunday with a slide presentation and discussion by Harriett Outlaw on the "Little Red Schoolhouse."  [Outlaw is documenting the history of schools in Baldwin Co.]
      http://tinyurl.com/yt6sg3
      Mobile Press-Register 24 January 2008

      **Genealogy Conference in Selma , February 15-16, 2008
      [Sponsored by the Black Belt African-American Genealogical and Historical Society]

      http://www.bbaaghs.org/conference/

      **
      Blind Boys of Alabama retrace their steps; book concert at Talladega school [Feb. 29]
      http://tinyurl.com/ynp7p2
      Birmingham News 23 January 2008

      =============
      **HISTORY
      =============

      **Friendly 5 dedicates Union monument
      http://tinyurl.com/227fn2
      Decatur Daily 25 January 2008

      **
      75 years and counting ...[at the same church]

      http://tinyurl.com/yqxro5
      Montgomery Advertiser 25 January 2008

      **January 25: Decatur native and actor Dean Jones turns 77
      [Internet Movie Database entry: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0427894/ ]

      **
      Birmingham's Bethel Baptist Church not alone in its claim to civil rights fame [opinion]
      [see also http://tinyurl.com/2eqj5h ]
      http://blog.al.com/archiblog/
      Birmingham News/John Archibald blog 24 January 2008

      **Germans on mountain
      Rocket families helped transform community
      http://tinyurl.com/2busby
      Huntsville Times 24 January 2008

      **Bethel, Sixteenth Street churches named as potential World Heritage Sites

      http://tinyurl.com/ywatlm
      Birmingham News 24 January 2008

      **Rosa Parks chosen for induction into Alabama Women's Hall of Fame
      http://tinyurl.com/ynndj4
      Birmingham News 24 January 2008

      **Making historic Collegeville neighborhood an example for revitalization has potential to show Birmingham 's possibilities [editorial]
      http://tinyurl.com/23g6z6
      Birmingham News 24 January 2008

      **Monument to be dedicated to Union soldiers Thursday [in Moulton]
      http://tinyurl.com/yv42zr
      Decatur Daily 24 January 2008

      **[Alabama Women’s] Hall of fame to honor Rosa Parks
      http://tinyurl.com/2zkqwh
      Montgomery Advertiser 24 January 2008

      **Celebrating the Big 5-0
      Redstone was vital to America 's entry into space race
      http://tinyurl.com/25wx66
      Florence Times-Daily 24 January 2008

      **b. 10-20-1914 - Fayard Nicholas - Mobile , AL - d. 1-24-2006

      dancer: (The Nicholas Brothers) "Big Broadcast of 1936"; "Ben Bernie Show" [radio shows]

      **Yesterday’s News [in Mobile in 1858, 1908, etc.]
      January 25: http://tinyurl.com/323d2s
      January 24: http://tinyurl.com/2asosn
      Mobile Press-Register

      **Flag out of context in the reborn South [editorial]
      http://tinyurl.com/2au79p
      Mobile Press-Register 23 January 2008

      **[Greg] Echols tops long career by induction in [Ala. H.S.] hall of fame

      http://tinyurl.com/2ch23f
      Birmingham News 23 January 2008

      **[Tammy] Richardson took Pelham volleyball to top levels
      [And she will be inducted into the Ala. H. S. Hall of Fame]
      Birmingham News 23 January 2008 p8SC

      ===========
      **CULTURE
      ===========

      **He's got his Mojo working

      For [guitarist] Todd Simpson, music comes out of the blue

      http://tinyurl.com/25ctx3
      Birmingham News 25 January 2008

      **
      Retired lawyer [Warren Lightfoot of Birmingham ] turns to sculpture

      http://tinyurl.com/yp8a7x
      Montgomery Advertiser 25 January 2008

      **Gospel quartets perform for scouts and promoters

      Music often doesn't stop before 2 a.m. at gospel convention

      http://tinyurl.com/27lboz
      Birmingham News 24 January 2008

      **Seeing double – [ophthalmologist Drew] Mays juggles eye surgery, music with skill, artistry
      http://tinyurl.com/2c49rt
      Birmingham News 24 January 2008

      **Enthusiasm lands guide in book
      “Hyundai Motor Manufacturing Alabama tour guide Krista Hawk­ins”
      http://tinyurl.com/yvklrf
      Montgomery Advertiser 24 January 2008

      **
      Rapping their way to victory [Greene Co. H.S. girls basketball team]
      http://tinyurl.com/2bhfsa
      Tuscaloosa News 24 January 2008

      ===========
      **DEATHS
      ===========

      **Local service today for music exec Ronald Johnson [Capitol Music Group; died Dec. 30]

      http://tinyurl.com/2ltz2b
      Mobile Press-Register 25 January 2008

      ==================
      **BONUS MATERIAL
      ==================

      **Shelby County GenWeb site

      http://www.rootsweb.com/%7Ealshelby/shelby1.html

      ================
      **USEFUL LINKS
      ================

      ** Alabama History Community Calendar
      http://www.archives.alabama.gov/adahcalendar.html

      **THIS MONTH IN ALABAMA HISTORY
      http://www.archives.state.al.us/thisweek/month.html

      ** Alabama County Historical & Genealogical Societies & Records Repositories
      http://www.archives.state.al.us/referenc/hsglist.html

      ** Alabama Historical Association Marker Index
      http://www.archives.state.al.us/markers/histmarkindex.html

      ** Alabama History Resources on the Internet
      http://www.archives.alabama.gov/teacher/netres.html

      ** Birmingham Rewound
      http://www.birminghamrewound.com/

      **Project to Document the Birmingham District
      [Includes the BhamWiki and the Magic City Flickr group]
      http://tinyurl.com/yt49xj

      **activeculture.info [cultural events calendar for central Alabama ]
      http://activeculture.info/index.asp

      **activeculture.info History Events
      http://tinyurl.com/hn3lf

      **activeculture.info Literature Events
      http://tinyurl.com/fnf5l

      ===============================
      **alabamahistory related links
      ===============================

      Listings since July 2002:

      Alabama History & Culture in the News
      http://www.anes.uab.edu/alahistnews0.htm

      Listings prior to that date are in the Yahoo archives.

      alabamahistory archives at Yahoo:

      ***************************************

      A.J. Wright, M.L.S.
      Associate Professor
      Director, Section on the History of Anesthesia

      Department of Anesthesiology Library
      University of Alabama at Birmingham
      619 19th Street South , JT965
      Birmingham AL 35249-6810