Alabama History/Culture in the News: 16-18 Jan & Bonus Material

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 18, 2008
      Alabama History/Culture in the News: USE THIS ONE & Bonus Material

      NOTE:

      Materials in brackets are my additions. Items are listed more or less in reverse chronological order within each section. All links are working at the time I send this email and post them to the web page listing. Many of the articles listed are reprinted in other Alabama newspapers; in general, I do not list those reprints. Some items are listed without links because I could not find online versions.

      Feel free to forward this email as desired....

      AND NOW THE NEWS...

      Additional articles can often be found at Google, Topix or Yahoo news sites:

      http://news.google.com/

      http://www.topix.net/

      http://news.yahoo.com/

      Please note that many articles continue beyond the single web page I have linked here. Web sites related to some articles often appear in the "Bonus Material" section.

      COMING EVENTS*HISTORY**CULTURE**DEATHS*BONUS MATERIAL

      ================

      **COMING EVENTS

      ================

      ** Alabama History Community Calendar
      http://www.archives.alabama.gov/adahcalendar.html

      **Traditional Cultural Events in Alabama
      http://www.alabamafolklife.org/folkevents.html

      **Literary Events in Alabama [via Alabama Writers Forum]
      http://www.writersforum.org/calendar/default.aspx

      ** Leslie Bailey's Southern View
      Tuscaloosa
      Saturday, January 19, 2008 at 1:00PM Alabama Public Television
      From Tuscaloosa, Bailey features a segment on the 19th annual “Realize the Dream” concert honoring Dr. Martin Luther King at Moody Music Concert Hall on the University of Alabama campus; she’ll treat viewers to a tour of the Bear Bryant Museum; interviews Deanette Bishop, the daughter of Dreamland Barbeque’s founder; and features more of the “100 Dishes to Eat in Alabama Before You Die.” Dave Finger visits McWane Science Center for a glimpse of a model railroad that takes us back to railroad’s heyday. Back at Marengo, Bailey whips up another yummy recipe in her kitchen.

      ** Birmingham Arts Journal Fifth Anniversary Celebration [Feb. 29]
      http://tinyurl.com/2g3xs2

      **Alabama Book Festival [April 19, Montgomery ]
      http://www.alabamabookcenter.org/events/2008Festivalhomepage.html

      =============
      **HISTORY
      =============

      **[157 year-old] Capitol gets yet another facelift

      http://tinyurl.com/3yda5j
      Montgomery Advertiser 18 January 2008

      **Generating power
      Having a president in Alabama was electric [Franklin D. Roosevelt, 75 years ago]
      http://tinyurl.com/2omw5u
      Birmingham Weekly 17 January 2008

      **Rare sight at historic [Joe Wheeler] home [in Pond Springs—snow!]
      http://tinyurl.com/yo3x9e
      Decatur Daily 17 January 2008

      **City may help with [Southern Hills] cemetery
      http://tinyurl.com/269gpp
      Gadsden Times 17 January 2008

      **Veteran [Tom Richardson] finally recognized as POW [in WWII]
      http://tinyurl.com/2gnrgv
      Montgomery Advertiser 17 January 2008

      **Yesterday’s News [in Mobile in 1858, 1908, etc.]
      January 18: http://tinyurl.com/2lqr7w
      January 17: http://tinyurl.com/yodgaj
      Mobile Press-Register

      **WWII veteran [ Bill Center ] recalls service on two different fronts

      Fought in both Pacific and European theaters

      http://tinyurl.com/242q3e
      Redstone Rocket 16 January 2008

      ===========
      **CULTURE
      ===========

      **Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus ringmaster got his dramatic start in Alabama

      http://tinyurl.com/2qgltl
      Birmingham News 18 January 2008

      ** Fox 6 anchor Janet Hall to sing at weekend concert

      http://tinyurl.com/yp39zr
      Birmingham News 17 January 2008

      ===========
      **DEATHS
      ===========

      **Jones family celebrates life of a pioneer [Prince Albert Jones, Sr., who died Sunday age 91]
      http://tinyurl.com/2lnpsg
      Montgomery Advertiser 18 January 2008

      **[Steven Allan]
      Sullivan, Nicol’s fire chief, dies at 54

      http://tinyurl.com/2hda9w
      Tuscaloosa News 18 January 2008

      **Thomas ‘Harlon’ Joiner Sr. remembered for leadership [died Wednesday]
      http://tinyurl.com/2rx5zv
      Decatur Daily 18 January 2008

      ==================
      **BONUS MATERIAL
      ==================

      ** Alabama Arts Radio Series
      http://www.arts.state.al.us/actc/1/radioseries.html

      ================
      **USEFUL LINKS
      ================

      ** Alabama History Community Calendar
      http://www.archives.alabama.gov/adahcalendar.html

      **THIS MONTH IN ALABAMA HISTORY
      http://www.archives.state.al.us/thisweek/month.html

      ** Alabama County Historical & Genealogical Societies & Records Repositories
      http://www.archives.state.al.us/referenc/hsglist.html

      ** Alabama Historical Association Marker Index
      http://www.archives.state.al.us/markers/histmarkindex.html

      ** Alabama History Resources on the Internet
      http://www.archives.alabama.gov/teacher/netres.html

      ** Birmingham Rewound
      http://www.birminghamrewound.com/

      **Project to Document the Birmingham District
      [Includes the BhamWiki and the Magic City Flickr group]
      http://tinyurl.com/yt49xj

      **activeculture.info [cultural events calendar for central Alabama ]
      http://activeculture.info/index.asp

      **activeculture.info History Events
      http://tinyurl.com/hn3lf

      **activeculture.info Literature Events
      http://tinyurl.com/fnf5l

      ===============================
      **alabamahistory related links
      ===============================

      Listings since July 2002:

      Alabama History & Culture in the News
      http://www.anes.uab.edu/alahistnews0.htm

      Listings prior to that date are in the Yahoo archives.

      alabamahistory archives at Yahoo:

      ***************************************

      A.J. Wright, M.L.S.
      Associate Professor
      Director, Section on the History of Anesthesia

      Department of Anesthesiology Library
      University of Alabama at Birmingham
      619 19th Street South , JT965
      Birmingham AL 35249-6810