Alabama History/Culture in the News: 13-16 Jan & Bonus Material

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 16, 2008
      Alabama History/Culture in the News: USE THIS ONE & Bonus Material

      NOTE:

      Materials in brackets are my additions. Items are listed more or less in reverse chronological order within each section. All links are working at the time I send this email and post them to the web page listing. Many of the articles listed are reprinted in other Alabama newspapers; in general, I do not list those reprints. Some items are listed without links because I could not find online versions.

      Feel free to forward this email as desired....

      AND NOW THE NEWS...

      Additional articles can often be found at Google, Topix or Yahoo news sites:

      http://news.google.com/

      http://www.topix.net/

      http://news.yahoo.com/

      Please note that many articles continue beyond the single web page I have linked here. Web sites related to some articles often appear in the "Bonus Material" section.

      COMING EVENTS*HISTORY**CULTURE**DEATHS*BONUS MATERIAL

      ================

      **COMING EVENTS

      ================

      ** Alabama History Community Calendar
      http://www.archives.alabama.gov/adahcalendar.html

      **Traditional Cultural Events in Alabama
      http://www.alabamafolklife.org/folkevents.html

      **Literary Events in Alabama [via Alabama Writers Forum]
      http://www.writersforum.org/calendar/default.aspx

      **Unitarian Universalist Fellowship to present A Southern Rendition on Friday
      [Features local musician and author Karren Pell and others]
      http://tinyurl.com/2xwpog
      Montgomery Advertiser 15 January 2008

      **
      Storytelling festival on tap in Pike County [Jan. 25-26]
      http://tinyurl.com/2uy4ht
      Eufaula Tribune 15 January 2008

      **
      Birmingham artist to exhibit photos [Sonja Rieger, at UNA]
      http://tinyurl.com/2wgutm
      Florence Times-Daily 15 January 2008

      **Counting down

      Huntsville's role in space program to be highlighted
      [Launch of Explorer I 50th anniversary is January 31]
      http://tinyurl.com/27e8lf
      Huntsville Times 15 January 2008

      **
      Huntsville has 10 days of events planned leading to the big celebration
      http://tinyurl.com/ytupew
      Huntsville Times 15 January 2008

      **Murder in the Magic City [mystery fiction conference]
      February 9, Homewood Library
      http://www.murderinthemagiccity.com/

      **2008 Southern Voices [writers] conference returns to its roots [Feb. 15-17]
      http://tinyurl.com/yw8bbk
      Birmingham News 16 January 2008

      **"On the Road to Freedom" author to speak Feb. 20 in Montgomery
      [Charles E. Cobb, Jr.’s book is subtitled “A Guided Tour of the Civil Rights Trail” and includes Alabama ]
      http://tinyurl.com/2sxqgb
      Montgomery Advertiser 16 January 2008

      =============
      **HISTORY
      =============

      **Final resting place of 1900s undertaker [ Madison ’s James P. Ashford, Jr.] unknown

      http://tinyurl.com/2zl7x3
      Huntsville Times 16 January 2008

      **St. John Baptist Church in Edgewater to dedicate historic [Lakeview] cemetery Sunday
      http://tinyurl.com/24s737
      Birmingham News 16 January 2008

      **Changes coming to Helena 's Old Town
      http://tinyurl.com/27nbtb
      Birmingham News 16 January 2008

      **Damaged graves discovered [in abandoned Flatwoods Cemetery ]
      http://tinyurl.com/27eou6
      Gadsden Times 16 January 2008

      **Veterans cemetery to be near Montevallo

      http://tinyurl.com/2teupf
      Montgomery Advertiser 16 January 2008

      **ALABAMA HISTORY
      Tuscumbia Railroad was state's first

      http://tinyurl.com/2u8re2
      Montgomery Advertiser 16 January 2008

      **Teens charged in [Confederate memorial] monument vandalism will be tried as juveniles

      http://tinyurl.com/2txko8
      Montgomery Advertiser 16 January 2008

      **Montgomery preservationists oppose RSA plan to build new downtown office complex

      Preservationists claim building will alter historic Dexter Avenue view

      http://tinyurl.com/2flynl
      Birmingham News 15 January 2008

      **Honoring confederate vets
      http://tinyurl.com/2wrx3j
      Clanton Advertiser 15 January 2008

      **QA: Ace Atkins [ Alabama native]
      [His new novel, Wicked City , is based on 1950s events in Phenix City ]
      http://tinyurl.com/3yc24t
      Library Journal 15 January 2008

      **Grave mysteries
      Historian needs help identifying 2 World War I veterans [in New Foster Cemetery ]
      http://tinyurl.com/3cwepd
      Decatur Daily 15 January 2008

      **Bronner shares his vision for downtown
      [and his disdain for “mouthy, old-guard” do-nothing preservationists]
      http://tinyurl.com/2h56cp
      Montgomery Advertiser 15 January 2008

      **Yesterday’s News [in Mobile in 1858, 1908, etc.]
      January 16: http://tinyurl.com/yoo3bk
      January 15: http://tinyurl.com/ype4pu
      Mobile Press-Register

      ===========
      **CULTURE
      ===========

      **New Vulcan mascot to be an ambassador
      http://tinyurl.com/yuo6d9
      Birmingham News 16 January 2008

      **PAYDAY [review of the 1973 film newly-released on DVD]
      [Stars Rip Torn as a singer with ambitions beyond the Alabama honky tonks]
      http://tinyurl.com/3bp9sn
      New York Times 15 January 2008

      **Shelby Lynne's Dusty Trail [singer Lynne grew up in Alabama ]
      http://tinyurl.com/2w8eqh
      New York Times Magazine 13 January 2008

      ===========
      **DEATHS
      ===========

      **Former [Atmore] councilman [John H.] Watkins dies at 79

      http://tinyurl.com/yvggd6
      Mobile Press-Register 16 January 2008

      ==================
      **BONUS MATERIAL
      ==================

      **Project Mockingbird: Public Libraries of Jefferson Co. Big Read
      http://www.projectmockingbird.org/

      **John Sayles and Maggie Renzi [interview]
      [Sayles’ latest film, Honeydripper, was shot and is set in Alabama ]
      http://tinyurl.com/2mkn8o
      Hollywood Reporter 28 December 2008

      **Southern Artistry [link to the Alabama artists]
      http://www.southernartistry.org/browse_state.cfm?what=Alabama

      **Recent Books with Alabama Connections

      Dorsey, Tim. Atomic Lobster. Morrow, 2007 [Reviewed in Publishers’ Weekly 3 December 2008, p.49]
      [latest novel from the AU graduate; see http://www.timdorsey.com/home.html ]

      ================
      **USEFUL LINKS
      ================

      ** Alabama History Community Calendar
      http://www.archives.alabama.gov/adahcalendar.html

      **THIS MONTH IN ALABAMA HISTORY
      http://www.archives.state.al.us/thisweek/month.html

      ** Alabama County Historical & Genealogical Societies & Records Repositories
      http://www.archives.state.al.us/referenc/hsglist.html

      ** Alabama Historical Association Marker Index
      http://www.archives.state.al.us/markers/histmarkindex.html

      ** Alabama History Resources on the Internet
      http://www.archives.alabama.gov/teacher/netres.html

      ** Birmingham Rewound
      http://www.birminghamrewound.com/

      **Project to Document the Birmingham District
      [Includes the BhamWiki and the Magic City Flickr group]
      http://tinyurl.com/yt49xj

      **activeculture.info [cultural events calendar for central Alabama ]
      http://activeculture.info/index.asp

      **activeculture.info History Events
      http://tinyurl.com/hn3lf

      **activeculture.info Literature Events
      http://tinyurl.com/fnf5l

      ===============================
      **alabamahistory related links
      ===============================

      Listings since July 2002:

      Alabama History & Culture in the News
      http://www.anes.uab.edu/alahistnews0.htm

      Listings prior to that date are in the Yahoo archives.

      alabamahistory archives at Yahoo:

      ***************************************

      A.J. Wright, M.L.S.
      Associate Professor
      Director, Section on the History of Anesthesia

      Department of Anesthesiology Library
      University of Alabama at Birmingham
      619 19th Street South , JT965
      Birmingham AL 35249-6810