Alabama History/Culture in the News: 4-9 Jan & Bonus Material

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 9, 2008
      Alabama History/Culture in the News: USE THIS ONE & Bonus Material

      NOTE:

      Materials in brackets are my additions. Items are listed more or less in reverse chronological order within each section. All links are working at the time I send this email and post them to the web page listing. Many of the articles listed are reprinted in other Alabama newspapers; in general, I do not list those reprints. Some items are listed without links because I could not find online versions.

      Feel free to forward this email as desired....

      AND NOW THE NEWS...

      Additional articles can often be found at Google, Topix or Yahoo news sites:

      http://news.google.com/

      http://www.topix.net/

      http://news.yahoo.com/

      Please note that many articles continue beyond the single web page I have linked here. Web sites related to some articles often appear in the "Bonus Material" section.

      COMING EVENTS*HISTORY**CULTURE**DEATHS*BONUS MATERIAL

      ================

      **COMING EVENTS

      ================

      ** Alabama History Community Calendar
      http://www.archives.alabama.gov/adahcalendar.html

      **Traditional Cultural Events in Alabama
      http://www.alabamafolklife.org/folkevents.html

      **Literary Events in Alabama [via Alabama Writers Forum]
      http://www.writersforum.org/calendar/default.aspx

      ** Alabama Stories/Alabama Public Television January 11 7:00pm
      "MiG-15" with Randy Scott http://tinyurl.com/2qyvcr
      When a young North Korean pilot decides to touch down at a U.S. Air Force base just after the Korean War, he has no idea what the future had in store for him, or even if he would survive. The year was 1953, and Lt. No Kum-Sok was willing to give the Americans – his former enemies – the MiG-15 plane they so desperately wanted to study in exchange for his freedom. Some fifty-five years later, this program traces the events of that defection and where the MiG-15, No Kum-Sok and the Alabama air policeman who befriended him are today.

      ** Alabama Stories/Alabama Public Television January 25 7:00pm
      "50th Anniversary of Explorer I" with Rhonda Colvin http://tinyurl.com/2qyvcr
      This program examines Alabama ’s role in American space exploration as it celebrates the 50th Anniversary of the launch of Explorer I, the first U.S. satellite. Explorer I was launched January 31, 1958 by the Jupiter-C rocket that was developed at Huntsville ’s Redstone Arsenal.

      **FEBRUARY 12 LECTURE ON HISTORY OF COTTON GIN

         Please join us for Discover Auburn:  A Lecture Series

      TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 12, 2008 at 3:00 p.m.

      Special Collections and Archives, located on the GROUND FLOOR of the Ralph Brown Draughon Library

      "INVENTING THE COTTON GIN:  MACHINE AND MYTH IN ANTEBELLUM AMERICA "

      Dr. Angela Lakwete, Professor of History, Auburn University

         Sponsored by:  the A.U. Libraries, the Caroline Marshall Draughon Center for the Arts & Humanities in the College of Liberal Arts , and the A.U. Bookstore.  Refreshments will follow the program.  Books will be available for purchase and signing.  For more information, please call (334) 844-4946.

      =============
      **HISTORY
      =============

      **[19th century] Madison family may be connected to Connecticut school

      http://tinyurl.com/2ltpca
      Huntsville Times 9 January 2008

      **Historic Calera Baptist Church [built in 1885], replaced by CVS drugstore
      http://tinyurl.com/34mdpx
      Birmingham News 9 January 2008

      **Our heritage must be preserved [letter]
      http://tinyurl.com/38ckow
      Tuscaloosa News 9 January 2008

      **b. 06-19-1915 - Pat Buttram - Addison , AL - d. 1-8-1994

      actor: (Sage of Winston County) "National Barn Dance" [radio show]

      **January 9: Bart Starr turns 74.

      **Yesterday’s News [in Mobile in 1858, 1908, etc.]
      January 9: http://tinyurl.com/2rxfxn
      January 8: http://tinyurl.com/ys7rnd
      Mobile Press-Register

      **Creative preservation
      [Editorial in response to choice of new executive director, Frank W. White, of Ala. Historical Comm.]
      http://tinyurl.com/2loadt
      Mobile Press-Register 7 January 2008

      **1942 January 9- Joe Louis knocks out Buddy Baer in the first round in the 20th

      title defense of his world heavyweight title in New York City .

      1891 January 7- Zora Neale Hurston, who will become a brilliant folklorist,

      novelist, and short story writer, is born in Notasulga,

      Alabama. For reasons known only to her, she will claim 1901

      as her birth year and the all-Black town of Eatonville , Florida

      as her birthplace. She will be one of the more influential

      writers of the Harlem Renaissance, known for her novel "Their

      Eyes Were Watching God" and her folklore collections,

      including "Of Mules and Men." She will join the ancestors on  January 28, 1960.
      FROM: Today in Black History
      http://listserv.icors.org/archives/Munirah.html

      ** Selma woman tracks heritage to slavery, shares knowledge
      Quest brings daughter home
      http://tinyurl.com/2w6thd
      Louisville [KY] 4 January 2008 [reprint from Birmingham News]

      ===========
      **CULTURE
      ===========

      **Local contributors to The Tonight Show with Jay Leno Show look forward to writers strike's end

      http://tinyurl.com/3yxca9
      Birmingham News 9 January 2008

      **Writer, former Alabama resident mocks AG’s sex-toy stance via YouTube
      http://tinyurl.com/2r6sjh
      Tuscaloosa News 9 January 2008

      **Taylor Hicks, `American Idol,' has lost his record deal
      http://tinyurl.com/2qs46y
      Montgomery Advertiser 8 January 2008

      **Cottage Living's food editor [and Birmingham resident] Kim Sunee cooks up a book about her life
      http://tinyurl.com/2gjtq7
      Birmingham News 8 January 2008

      **State tourism director donates Alabama folk art to visual arts center [in Decatur ]

      [Works by artists Mose Tolliver and Jimmie Lee Sudduth]
      http://tinyurl.com/2pxzmx
      Montgomery Advertiser 8 January 2008

      **Old Kingston Country Store has been a staple of Autauga County commerce, politics and family

      http://tinyurl.com/2kd9l2
      Prattville Progress 5 January 2008

      ===========
      **DEATHS
      ===========

      **Labor leader [Asa G.] Trammell dies at 82 in Daphne
      http://tinyurl.com/36moqz
      Tuscaloosa News 9 January 2008

      **[ Vernon ] Derrick played with Hank Jr. and Flatt and Scruggs

      http://tinyurl.com/2h5r5b
      Huntsville Times 8 January 2008

      ==================
      **BONUS MATERIAL
      ==================

      **Gwen Gorby [ Alabama artist]
      http://gwengorby.com/

      ================
      **USEFUL LINKS
      ================

      ** Alabama History Community Calendar
      http://www.archives.alabama.gov/adahcalendar.html

      **THIS MONTH IN ALABAMA HISTORY
      http://www.archives.state.al.us/thisweek/month.html

      ** Alabama County Historical & Genealogical Societies & Records Repositories
      http://www.archives.state.al.us/referenc/hsglist.html

      ** Alabama Historical Association Marker Index
      http://www.archives.state.al.us/markers/histmarkindex.html

      ** Alabama History Resources on the Internet
      http://www.archives.alabama.gov/teacher/netres.html

      ** Birmingham Rewound
      http://www.birminghamrewound.com/

      **Project to Document the Birmingham District
      [Includes the BhamWiki and the Magic City Flickr group]
      http://tinyurl.com/yt49xj

      **activeculture.info [cultural events calendar for central Alabama ]
      http://activeculture.info/index.asp

      **activeculture.info History Events
      http://tinyurl.com/hn3lf

      **activeculture.info Literature Events
      http://tinyurl.com/fnf5l

      ===============================
      **alabamahistory related links
      ===============================

      Listings since July 2002:

      Alabama History & Culture in the News
      http://www.anes.uab.edu/alahistnews0.htm

      Listings prior to that date are in the Yahoo archives.

      alabamahistory archives at Yahoo:

      ***************************************

      A.J. Wright, M.L.S.
      Associate Professor
      Director, Section on the History of Anesthesia

      Department of Anesthesiology Library
      University of Alabama at Birmingham
      619 19th Street South , JT965
      Birmingham AL 35249-6810