Alabama History/Culture in the News: 2-4 Jan & Bonus Material

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 4, 2008
      Alabama History/Culture in the News: USE THIS ONE & Bonus Material

      NOTE:

      Materials in brackets are my additions. Items are listed more or less in reverse chronological order within each section. All links are working at the time I send this email and post them to the web page listing. Many of the articles listed are reprinted in other Alabama newspapers; in general, I do not list those reprints. Some items are listed without links because I could not find online versions.

      Feel free to forward this email as desired....

      AND NOW THE NEWS...

      Additional articles can often be found at Google, Topix or Yahoo news sites:

      http://news.google.com/

      http://www.topix.net/

      http://news.yahoo.com/

      Please note that many articles continue beyond the single web page I have linked here. Web sites related to some articles often appear in the "Bonus Material" section.

      COMING EVENTS*HISTORY**CULTURE**DEATHS*BONUS MATERIAL

      ================

      **COMING EVENTS

      ================

      ** Alabama History Community Calendar
      http://www.archives.alabama.gov/adahcalendar.html

      **Traditional Cultural Events in Alabama
      http://www.alabamafolklife.org/folkevents.html

      **Literary Events in Alabama [via Alabama Writers Forum]
      http://www.writersforum.org/calendar/default.aspx

      ** Profiles With Wendy Garner
      Friday, January 04, 2008 at 7:00PM Alabama Public Television
      Birmingham journalist Wendy Garner joins Alabama Public Television as host of a new interview series airing the first Friday of each month. For the premiere episode, Wendy talks with renowned fillmaker Ken Burns during a visit to Birmingham 's Southern Museum of Flight.

      ** frontstreet With Tracy Larkin
      Friday, January 04, 2008 at 7:30PM Alabama Public Television
      Hosted by Montgomery broadcaster and educator Tracy Larkin, frontstreet reports and reflects on the art, history, culture, entertainment and politics of Alabama ’s African American community. frontstreet airs the first Friday of each month.

      =============
      **HISTORY
      =============

      **American Village expands programs with civic life center
      http://tinyurl.com/ytbjta
      Birmingham News 4 January 2008

      **George Wallace and Huckabee: 1968 to 2008
      http://tinyurl.com/2v9gcn
      FoxNews.com 3 January 2008

      **Georgia preservationist takes over Alabama historical agency
      [Frank W. White has been hired as Executive Director of the Ala. Historical Commission]
      http://tinyurl.com/ysmmqx
      Columbus [GA] Ledger-Enquirer 3 January 2008

      **Quest for missing World War II pilot frustrates family
      http://tinyurl.com/2n5yn7
      Mobile Press-Register 3 January 2008

      ** Selma woman unravels family's slavery roots with research in Black Belt

      Researcher unravels roots in heart of Black Belt
      http://tinyurl.com/3d6vqe
      Birmingham News 3 January 2008

      **Historic home burns on Jackson Street
      [Home in the Albany Historic District was 110 years old]
      http://tinyurl.com/2ac5ez
      Decatur Daily 3 January 2008

      **Remembering Sam
      Panel discusses Sam Phillips' life
      http://tinyurl.com/2ncefr
      Florence Times-Daily 3 January 2008

      **b. 01-03-1891 - Gaston Anderson - d. 5-xx-1978
      disk jockey: WGWD Gasden , Alabama

      **Yesterday’s News [in Mobile in 1858, 1908, etc.]
      January 4: http://tinyurl.com/2fsbdu
      January 3: http://tinyurl.com/33k3hf
      Mobile Press-Register

      **Celebration marks Emancipation Proclamation
      http://tinyurl.com/324rl4
      Montgomery Advertiser 2 January 2008

      ===========
      **CULTURE
      ===========

      **Smart art
      Muscle Shoals schools put art education on display in exhibit
      http://tinyurl.com/3ywd93
      Florence Times-Daily 3 January 2008

      ===========
      **DEATHS
      ===========

      **Dennis Clifton, Shoals songwriter, studio engineer, dies
      http://tinyurl.com/yvvj92
      Florence Times-Daily 3 January 2008

      ==================
      **BONUS MATERIAL
      ==================

      ** Battle of Mobile Bay
      http://www.battleofmobilebay.org

      **Reviews of Books by Alabama authors [via Alabama Writers Forum]
      http://www.writersforum.org/books/default.aspx

      ================
      **USEFUL LINKS
      ================

      ** Alabama History Community Calendar
      http://www.archives.alabama.gov/adahcalendar.html

      **THIS MONTH IN ALABAMA HISTORY
      http://www.archives.state.al.us/thisweek/month.html

      ** Alabama County Historical & Genealogical Societies & Records Repositories
      http://www.archives.state.al.us/referenc/hsglist.html

      ** Alabama Historical Association Marker Index
      http://www.archives.state.al.us/markers/histmarkindex.html

      ** Alabama History Resources on the Internet
      http://www.archives.alabama.gov/teacher/netres.html

      ** Birmingham Rewound
      http://www.birminghamrewound.com/

      **Project to Document the Birmingham District
      [Includes the BhamWiki and the Magic City Flickr group]
      http://tinyurl.com/yt49xj

      **activeculture.info [cultural events calendar for central Alabama ]
      http://activeculture.info/index.asp

      **activeculture.info History Events
      http://tinyurl.com/hn3lf

      **activeculture.info Literature Events
      http://tinyurl.com/fnf5l

      ===============================
      **alabamahistory related links
      ===============================

      Listings since July 2002:

      Alabama History & Culture in the News
      http://www.anes.uab.edu/alahistnews0.htm

      Listings prior to that date are in the Yahoo archives.

      alabamahistory archives at Yahoo:

      ***************************************

      A.J. Wright, M.L.S.
      Associate Professor
      Director, Section on the History of Anesthesia

      Department of Anesthesiology Library
      University of Alabama at Birmingham
      619 19th Street South , JT965
      Birmingham AL 35249-6810