Alabama History/Culture in the News: 2-7 Dec & Bonus Material

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 7, 2007
      Alabama History/Culture in the News: & Bonus Material

      NOTE:

      Materials in brackets are my additions. Items are listed more or less in reverse chronological order within each section. All links are working at the time I send this email and post them to the web page listing. Some items are listed without links because I could not find online versions.

      Feel free to forward this email as desired....

      AND NOW THE NEWS...

      Additional articles can often be found at Google, Topix or Yahoo news sites:

      http://news.google.com/

      http://www.topix.net/

      http://news.yahoo.com/

      Please note that many articles continue beyond the single web page I have linked here. Web sites related to some articles often appear in the "Bonus Material" section.

      COMING EVENTS*HISTORY**CULTURE**DEATHS*BONUS MATERIAL

      ================

      **COMING EVENTS

      ================

      ** Alabama History Community Calendar
      http://www.archives.alabama.gov/adahcalendar.html

      **Traditional Cultural Events in Alabama
      http://www.alabamafolklife.org/folkevents.html

      **Three poets to address Unitarian Fellowship [in Fairhope Dec. 9]
      [Glenda Slater, P.T. Paul, Phyllis Peck]
      http://tinyurl.com/3akgme
      Mobile Press-Register 7 December 2007

      **Greensboro's Magnolia Grove holiday open house displays opulence of old-fashioned holidays [Dec. 9]
      http://tinyurl.com/2qazja
      Birmingham News 2 December 2007

      **Sunday tea at Lowe House [built in 1902] to aid Historic Foundation [Dec. 9]
      http://tinyurl.com/2nvu7o
      Huntsville Times 5 December 2007

      **Meet the Author Event: Alabaster author Susan L. Sieweke reads her new childrens book Annie Nell Meets the Sock Gnomes on Thursday, December 13th at 4:30 p.m. Mrs. Sieweke will have books available for purchase and autographs.  Children will also get to make a holiday craft. Sign up is recommended. Albert L. Scott Library, Alabaster http://tinyurl.com/34ygvu

      **The Convergence of the Twain: Dr. King and Bishop Carpenter—Lives in Collision
      “Historian and Episcopal priest Barry Vaughn will explore the parallel lives of Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr., and Alabama ’s Episcopal bishop Charles C.J. Carpenter, both pivotal figures in the history of the Civil Rights Movement.”
      Birmingham Public Library Brown Bag Lunch Series, Wednesday, January 16, 2008
      BPL-Central Library, Arrington Auditorium 12-1pm
      http://tinyurl.com/25zeke

      =============
      **HISTORY
      =============

      **[Local] Pearl Harbor survivors to be honored today
      http://tinyurl.com/3cp5lj
      Mobile Press-Register 7 December 2007

      **[ Bailey Springs ] Historical cemetery to be dedicated
      [Has graves of 3 War of 1812 veterans]
      http://tinyurl.com/2lyh75
      Florence Times-Daily 7 December 2007

      **[Local] Vets vividly recall Pearl Harbor
      http://tinyurl.com/2o3yl2
      Montgomery Advertiser 7 December 2007

      **[Local] Sailor lucky he survived Pearl Harbor bombing

      http://tinyurl.com/32hhth
      Montgomery Advertiser 7 December 2007

      **Activists can't decide on historic [civil rights] site
      http://tinyurl.com/3asu2c
      Montgomery Advertiser 7 December 2007

      **1931 December 7- Comer Cottrell is born in Mobile , Alabama .  In 1970, he

                  will become founder and president of Pro-line

                  Corporation, the largest African American-owned business

                  in the southwest, which he will start with $ 600 and a

                  borrowed typewriter.  An entrepreneur with a wide range

                  of interests, Cottrell will also become the first

                  African American to own a part of a major league

                  baseball team, the Texas Rangers, in 1989.

      1985 December 7- Bo Jackson of Auburn University wins the Heisman Trophy.
      FROM: Today in Black History
      http://listserv.icors.org/archives/Munirah.html

      **Buy a Brick' campaign to raise funds for restoration of Birmingham 's historic Bethel Baptist Church
      http://tinyurl.com/27ykh6
      Birmingham News 6 December 2007

      **Public to weigh in on sites for civil rights center

      http://tinyurl.com/23d47o
      Montgomery Advertiser 6 December 2007

      **Jefferson County Commission votes against naming Bessemer courthouse after Medal of Honor winner [George Watson]
      http://tinyurl.com/2qfbzd
      Birmingham News 5 December 2007

      **Family erects marker at spot of 1947 slaying [of Elmore Bolling, in Lowndes Co.]
      http://tinyurl.com/2qyyh6
      Montgomery Advertiser 5 November 2007

      **1947 December 5: Joe Wolcott beats Joe Louis.
      FROM: Poor Gabriel’s Almanac poorgabriel@...

      1947 December 5- Jersey Joe Wolcott defeats Joe Louis for the heavyweight

                  boxing title.  It is also the first time a heavyweight

                  championship boxing match is televised.

      1955 December 5- The Montgomery bus boycott begins as a result of Rosa

                  Parks' refusal to ride in the back of a city bus four

                  days earlier. At a mass meeting at the Holt Street

                  Baptist Church , Martin Luther King Jr. is elected

                  president of the boycott organization. The boycott will

                  last a little over a year and be the initial victory in

                  the civil rights struggle of African Americans in the

                  United States .

      1957 December 5- Martin Luther King Jr. is awarded the NAACP's Spingarn

                  Medal for his leadership of the Montgomery Bus Boycott.
      FROM: Today in Black History
      http://listserv.icors.org/archives/Munirah.html

      **Yesterday’s News [in Mobile in 1857, 1907, etc.]
      December 7: http://tinyurl.com/2ncjp4
      December 5: http://tinyurl.com/3d5up9
      Mobile Press-Register

      **
      Learning about our past
      http://tinyurl.com/3e55xq
      Fort Payne Times-Journal 4 December 2007

      **2007 Century & Heritage Farm Recipients
      [info on this program: http://tinyurl.com/yqgw28 ]
      Alabama Farmers and Consumers Bulletin V55N12 December 2007, p7

      ===========
      **CULTURE
      ===========

      **
      Greenhill man [Chris Tompkins] nominated for two Grammys
      http://tinyurl.com/38bnbt
      Florence Times-Daily 7 December 2007

      **Screen stars: Montgomery actors take pride in film roles
      [in John Sayles’ new film, “Honeydripper,” set and shot in Alabama ]
      http://tinyurl.com/2hu3t4
      Montgomery Advertiser 6 December 2007

      **Party Politics [review of The Holiday Season, new fiction by Alabama native Michael Knight]
      http://tinyurl.com/2qowyx
      New York Times 2 December 2007

      **'Community in Alabama ': vision for a human space

      [review of new book from the Alabama Architectural Foundation]
      http://tinyurl.com/3cdjt9
      Mobile Press-Register 2 December 2007

      ===========
      **DEATHS
      ===========

      **Alabama-native author, evangelist dies at 85 [Charles Oren Mashburn]

      http://tinyurl.com/2r9tnr
      Alabama Baptist 6 December 2007

      **Longtime journalist Mike Sherman dies at 64

      http://tinyurl.com/3bltlx
      Montgomery Advertiser 6 December 2007

      **Veteran Alabama journalist Mike Sherman dies at 64

      http://tinyurl.com/2r68bv
      Associated Press 5 December 2007

      **Autauga political icon Fred Posey dead at 95
      http://tinyurl.com/3y6s78
      Prattville Progress 5 December 2007

      **Pioneering real estate entrepreneur Augustine Little dies
      among the area's earliest black female real estate brokers…”
      http://tinyurl.com/3y9s2a
      Mobile Press-Register 5 December 2007

      ==================
      **BONUS MATERIAL
      ==================

      ** Birmingham Rewound
      http://www.birminghamrewound.com/features/this_month.htm

      Birmingham Rewound is spotlighting Christmases past (1947, 1957, 1967, 1977) in this month's "issue."  For all of those who were trying to remember the names of all the theaters in town, you'll find a lot of them in the pieces about the individual years.

      **Recent Books with Alabama Connections

      Whetstone, Bob. Grave Dancin’. Lulu.com, 2006 [ Hoover resident Whetstone’s novel is set in an Alabama mill town during the Depression]

      **Horace King, Bridge Builder
      by Thomas L. French, Jr., and Edward L. French
      http://tinyurl.com/2vkqas
      Alabama Heritage Issue #11 winter 1989 pp. 34-47

      **FBI Research Reports on the KKK 1865-1958 [includes Alabama ]
      http://www.thememoryhole.org/fbi/kkk.htm

      ================
      **USEFUL LINKS
      ================

      ** Alabama History Community Calendar
      http://www.archives.alabama.gov/adahcalendar.html

      **THIS MONTH IN ALABAMA HISTORY
      http://www.archives.state.al.us/thisweek/month.html

      ** Alabama County Historical & Genealogical Societies & Records Repositories
      http://www.archives.state.al.us/referenc/hsglist.html

      ** Alabama Historical Association Marker Index
      http://www.archives.state.al.us/markers/histmarkindex.html

      ** Alabama History Resources on the Internet
      http://www.archives.alabama.gov/teacher/netres.html

      ** Birmingham Rewound
      http://www.birminghamrewound.com/

      **Project to Document the Birmingham District
      [Includes the BhamWiki and the Magic City Flickr group]
      http://tinyurl.com/yt49xj

      **activeculture.info [cultural events calendar for central Alabama ]
      http://activeculture.info/index.asp

      **activeculture.info History Events
      http://tinyurl.com/hn3lf

      **activeculture.info Literature Events
      http://tinyurl.com/fnf5l

      ===============================
      **alabamahistory related links
      ===============================

      Listings since July 2002:

      Alabama History & Culture in the News
      http://www.anes.uab.edu/alahistnews0.htm

      Listings prior to that date are in the Yahoo archives.

      alabamahistory archives at Yahoo:

      ***************************************

      A.J. Wright, M.L.S.
      Associate Professor
      Director, Section on the History of Anesthesia

      Department of Anesthesiology Library
      University of Alabama at Birmingham
      619 19th Street South , JT965
      Birmingham AL 35249-6810