FW: "Capote Revisited" (ALA, May 2008)

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 12, 2007
      From: U.S. Southern Literature [mailto:H-SOUTHERN-LIT@...] On
      Behalf Of Martyn Bone
      Sent: Monday, November 12, 2007 3:37 AM
      To: H-SOUTHERN-LIT@...
      Subject: CFP: "Capote Revisited" (ALA, May 2008)

      From: Kristen Proehl [mailto:kbproe@...]
      Sent: 11. november 2007 19:57
      Subject: CFP: ALA Panel, Capote Revisited

      A Panel for the Annual Conference of the

      American Literature Association

      San Francisco, CA, May 22-28, 2008

      Panel Proposal: Capote Revisited

      Due to the overlapping film productions of _Infamous_ (2006) and
      _Capote_
      (2005),

      as well the 2005 Random House publication of the "lost" _Summer
      Crossing_

      manuscript, Truman Capote has received yet another wave of attention
      amongst

      academic and popular American audiences. For this panel proposal, I
      welcome

      variety of different critical approaches to understanding Capote's
      literature and

      his complex role as an American literary icon. I am particularly
      interested
      in

      papers that reflect critically upon the recent surge of interest in
      Capote's
      work,

      offer innovative new interpretations of his texts, or analyze the
      influence
      of

      _Summer Crossing_, _Infamous_ and/or _Capote_ on our understanding of
      his
      life and

      work.

      Panelists might explore the following topics, among others:

      - Issues of authorship in _Capote_ or _Summer
      Crossing_.

      - Approaches to teaching Capote's work and/or
      _Infamous_
      and _Capote_.

      - Comparative analysis of _Infamous_ and _Capote_.

      - New Orleans and Capote.

      - Issues of celebrity and Capote's vexed literary
      relationships.

      - Harper Lee and Capote.

      - Violence in Capote's work and/or Capote.

      - Sexuality in Capote's work and/or the recent
      films.

      - Analysis of the 1967 film version of _In Cold
      Blood_,
      perhaps in conjunction

      with the recent films.

      By Jan. 1, 2008, please send a 250 word abstract and a brief CV or bio
      Kristen

      B. Proehl, College of William and Mary, kbproe@....

      Kristen B. Proehl

      College of William and Mary