FW: "Capote Revisited" (ALA, May 2008)
- View Source-----Original Message-----
From: U.S. Southern Literature [mailto:H-SOUTHERN-LIT@...] On
Behalf Of Martyn Bone
Sent: Monday, November 12, 2007 3:37 AM
Subject: CFP: "Capote Revisited" (ALA, May 2008)
From: Kristen Proehl [mailto:kbproe@...]
Sent: 11. november 2007 19:57
Subject: CFP: ALA Panel, Capote Revisited
A Panel for the Annual Conference of the
American Literature Association
San Francisco, CA, May 22-28, 2008
Panel Proposal: Capote Revisited
Due to the overlapping film productions of _Infamous_ (2006) and
as well the 2005 Random House publication of the "lost" _Summer
manuscript, Truman Capote has received yet another wave of attention
academic and popular American audiences. For this panel proposal, I
variety of different critical approaches to understanding Capote's
his complex role as an American literary icon. I am particularly
papers that reflect critically upon the recent surge of interest in
offer innovative new interpretations of his texts, or analyze the
_Summer Crossing_, _Infamous_ and/or _Capote_ on our understanding of
Panelists might explore the following topics, among others:
- Issues of authorship in _Capote_ or _Summer
- Approaches to teaching Capote's work and/or
- Comparative analysis of _Infamous_ and _Capote_.
- New Orleans and Capote.
- Issues of celebrity and Capote's vexed literary
- Harper Lee and Capote.
- Violence in Capote's work and/or Capote.
- Sexuality in Capote's work and/or the recent
- Analysis of the 1967 film version of _In Cold
perhaps in conjunction
with the recent films.
By Jan. 1, 2008, please send a 250 word abstract and a brief CV or bio
B. Proehl, College of William and Mary, kbproe@....
Kristen B. Proehl
College of William and Mary