FW: Today and Tomorrow [Ala. authors in Montgomery]

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 22, 2007
      The Capitol Book Newsletter
      Monday, October 22, 2007

      Today's Contents:
      1. Jennifer Davis Here Today!
      2. Kathryn Tucker Windham Tomorrow!

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      JENNIFER S. DAVIS HERE TODAY
      Jennifer S. Davis was born and raised in Alabama, where she grew up
      exploring the banks of Lake Martin and the Tallapoosa River. She has
      lived and worked in Montana, Denver, Miami, Rio de Janeiro, Washington
      state and New Orleans. She received her MFA from the University of
      Alabama and taught fiction in the MFA program at Eastern Washington
      University. Her stories have been published in such journals as Grand
      Street, Paris Review, Epoch, Georgia Review, One Story, and Oxford
      American, among others. They've also been collected into two
      collections, Her Kind of Want (2002), and her brand new one, Our Former
      Lives In Art, about which Publishers Weekly says::

      "Strange events haunt the lives of the intrepid Southern characters in
      the second collection (after "Her Kind of Want") from Alabama native
      Davis. The title story concerns the parents of a fragile, gifted child
      obsessed with drawing antiquated war scenes and mayhem perhaps gleaned
      from a past life a child... The troubled teen protagonist of "Lily,
      Love" is matched with a lonely elderly man sick... and the two find
      their senses of alienation nicely compatible. "Pilgrimage in Georgia"
      is a terrific writerly send-up about a novelist who moves to a small
      Southern town in order to gain the authenticity he lacks, only to be
      tormented by the productivity of a young writer as much a hack as he is.
      Davis creates magnificently conflicted characters with low-key stylistic
      panache."

      Come meet this really gifted young Alabama writer TODAY, MONDAY, OCTOBER
      22 FROM 4-5:30 PM here at the store. You'll be glad you did.

      Our Former Lives in Art is a Random House trade paperback, $13.95. If
      you would like a signed copy, but can't make it by, just let us know and
      we'll be happy to take care of it for you.

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      AND, coming up tomorrow.....

      KATHRYN TUCKER WINDHAM!.

      Join Alabama's beloved Kathryn Tucker Windham for a late afternoon
      program of storytelling in celebration of re-publication (by
      Montgomery's NewSouth Books) of her book Alabama, One Big Front Porch
      Bring a lawn chair, bring a friend, and listen! Limited seating will
      also be provided. We'll be there with books, with a booksigning to
      follow the storytelling. The new edition of  Alabama, One Big Front
      Porch is a hardback, $25.95, and a signed copy would make somebody a
      real nice Christmas present. We'll also have copies of many of her other
      wonderful books, too!

      This one happens TOMORROW, TUESDAY, OCTOBER 23 AT THE HAIGLER HOUSE IN
      OLD ALABAMA TOWN AT 4 PM, which is late enough in the day that you can -
      and should - bring a whole passel of school children. And in case of
      rain, the whole thing will be moved indoors at the Loeb Center. For
      directions and other info call the Alabama Writers Forum at 265-7728.
      Cheryl and Thomas Upchurch
      Capitol Book & News Company
      Voice 334.265.1473
      www.capitolbook.com