FW: A Dog Day Afternoon [Sonny Brewer & other Ala. authors]

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 10, 2007

      From: Capitol Book [mailto: capitolbook@... ]
      Sent: Wednesday, October 10, 2007 10:29 AM
      To: Capitol Book
      Subject: A Dog Day Afternoon

      The Capitol Book Newsletter

      Wednesday, October 10, 2007

      Today's Contents:

      1. Sonny Brewer (and his dog?) TOMORROW!

      2. Too Soon Old, Too Late Smart

      3. Upcoming

      The Law of the Dog Book

      Some of you may not have read our newspaper column last week, where we wrote about, among other things, our aversion to books with dogs on the cover, since those dogs tend not to survive the book, and why would we want to put ourselves through that? The dog on the cover may be said to provoke a Pavlovian response in us, and, it turns out, in lots of other people, too. Many of whom called and came in over the past week to thank us for shedding some light on this often overlooked little psychological problem. To a person, they too said they'd never read a book with a dog on the cover, and that presents us with a little problem, since we have a really popular Alabama writer coming to the store tomorrow to sell copies of his book, which has a dog on the cover, and in the title, which also includes the word "missing," so how to get the folks who, we think, would most enjoy reading this book to come buy it, when just looking at the cover is likely to, well, freak them out?

      So here's our pitch. The author's picture is also on the cover, and he's not dead yet. Does that help? Does it at least hold out some hope that the dog too will beat the odds? We'd never give away the ending of a book, and we don't want to scar anybody for life, but we really, really do think this book is worth the risk (hey, we read it!).

      The author is Sonny Brewer of Fairhope, author of The Poet of Tolstoy Park and A Sound Like Thunder, and now Cormac: The Tale of a Dog Gone Missing, and it's technically fiction, but really it's mostly true. And all good. It's about just what it says it's about: Sonny's dog Cormac is lost, and Sonny is heartbroken and Sonny tries to find his dog while carrying on with the rest of his very real life, which can get in the way. You'll love it.

      Sonny Brewer will be here at the store TOMORROW, THURSDAY, OCTOBER 11 FROM 4-5:30 to sign copies of this one, and to hear your lost dog story, too. As always, if you can't come but want a signed book, just let us know. We'll take care of it for you. (This one's available both in hardcover at $17 and paperback at $13)

      SOLD OUT, for the time being

      Yesterday's signing with Phyllis Hoffman, author of Southern Lady: Gracious Tables was only about 10 times bigger than we expected. People came in droves, and bought the book in droves, too, and we sold out of books about 30 minutes into a 2 hour event. So we've arranged with the very gracious, and very understanding, and awfully nice Ms. Hoffman to have many more books delivered to her, to be signed and sent on to us, so that we will be able to fill all the orders of those we disappointed yesterday, AND have plenty more signed copies here. Well, we say plenty, but how do we know? The point is, if you like beautiful books about elegant Southern entertaining, this is a really good one, and if you'd like to reserve  a signed copy or two (many folks bought 10 or more copies yesterday!), let us know today so that we can get the books on the way. ($39.95 hardcover)

      We're Looking Forward To....

      Here are  few upcoming events:

      1. Monday, October 22. Jennifer Davis, author of Our Former Lives In Art (Stories). These are stories set mostly in south Alabama , and the Florida panhandle. 4 PM

      2. Tuesday, October 23. Kathryn Tucker Windham will be down at the Haigler House at Old Alabama Town , sitting on the porch there and telling tales from her newly reissued classic Alabama: One Big Front Porch. 4 PM

      3. Tuesday, November 6. Melinda Rainey Thompson will be here signing copies of her brand new one, The SWAG Life. 4 PM.

      4. Monday, November 19. Donald McCaig will be over at Huntingdon College , signing the expected-to-be-a blockbuster Rhett Butler's People, the authorized sequel to Gone With the Wind. 6:30 PM

      Cheryl and Thomas Upchurch
      Capitol Book & News Company
      1140 E. Fairview Avenue
      Montgomery , AL 36106