Alabama History/Culture in the News: 4-5 Oct & Bonus Material

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 5, 2007

      NOTE:

      Materials in brackets are my additions. Items are listed more or less in reverse chronological order within each section. All links are working at the time I send this email and post them to the web page listing. Some items are listed without links because I could not find online versions.

      Feel free to forward this email as desired....

      AND NOW THE NEWS...

      Additional articles can often be found at Google, Topix or Yahoo news sites:

      http://news.google.com/

      http://www.topix.net/

      http://news.yahoo.com/

      Please note that many articles continue beyond the single web page I have linked here. Web sites related to some articles often appear in the "Bonus Material" section.

      COMING EVENTS*HISTORY**CULTURE**DEATHS*BONUS MATERIAL

      ================

      **COMING EVENTS

      ================

      ** Alabama History Community Calendar

      http://www.archives.alabama.gov/adahcalendar.html

      **Traditional Cultural Events in Alabama

      http://www.alabamafolklife.org/folkevents.html

      =============

      **HISTORY

      =============

      **Search starts for kin of black submariner killed in WWII

      Woodlawn's [Cornelius] Paul died aboard Grunion
      http://tinyurl.com/3bc92s
      Birmingham News 5 October 2007

      **Lady Justice returns to Morgan courthouse after getting face lift

      [statue erected in 1892]
      http://tinyurl.com/39xm4r
      Decatur Daily 5 October 2007

      **Preservationists look to purchase old county jail

      Trust wants to renovate building, lease it to Capitol School

      http://tinyurl.com/3cd4lc
      Tuscaloosa News 5 October 2007

      **Sputnik plus 50

      Von Braun and his rocket team were not surprised by launch
      http://tinyurl.com/2jooo4
      Huntsville Times 4 October 2007

      **The truths about Sputnik

      Dispelling whether myths were based on fact or fiction
      http://tinyurl.com/36bmj4
      Huntsville Times 4 October 2007

      **Miles endowment preserves memory of man [Johnny Morrow] who helped students
      http://tinyurl.com/2lbde4
      Birmingham News 4 October 2007

      **No Civil War feud among neighbors

      A civil Battleground rivalry

      Choosing sides all about fun for battlefield's residents
      http://tinyurl.com/3dxx5c
      Decatur Daily 4 October 2007

      **Preserve it, protect it: Our history, gathering dust [editorial]
      http://tinyurl.com/2halgv
      Anniston Star 4 October 2007

      **Yesterday's News [in Mobile in 1857, 1907, etc.]
      October 5: http://tinyurl.com/37u9rl
      October 4: http://tinyurl.com/3dau9w
      Mobile Press-Register 4 October 2007

      **b. 05-22-1891 - Parks Johnson - Sheffield, AL - d. 10-4-1970 emcee, interviewer: "Vox Pox" [radio show]

      ===========

      **CULTURE

      ===========

      **Gee's Bend quilters try sales on Web
      http://tinyurl.com/23bcod
      Montgomery Advertiser 4 October 2007

      **[ Mobile ] Arts Council creates new artists directory
      http://tinyurl.com/27zuau
      Mobile Press-Register 30 September 2007

      ===========

      **DEATHS

      ===========

      **[Margaret Lyons] Meaher, Carnival queen in 1935, dies at 94

      Family donated land where state park sits on Causeway
      http://tinyurl.com/3ykdaz
      Mobile Press-Register 5 October 2007

      **Amiable, effective leader at Gayfers, [John Francis Tynan dies at 76
      http://tinyurl.com/36pqs9
      Tuscaloosa News 5 October 2007

      **Rev. James Crutcher dies at 74
      "a former pastor of Sixteenth Street Baptist Church who also was UAB's first black hospital chaplain"
      http://tinyurl.com/2jhmhk
      Birmingham News 4 October 2007

      ==================

      **BONUS MATERIAL

      ==================

      ** Alabama Poorhouse History
      http://www.poorhousestory.com/poorhouses_in_alabama.htm

      **History of UAB's Sterne Library
      http://www.mhsl.uab.edu/history/

      ================

      **USEFUL LINKS

      ================

      ** Alabama History Community Calendar

      http://www.archives.alabama.gov/adahcalendar.html

      **THIS MONTH IN ALABAMA HISTORY

      http://www.archives.state.al.us/thisweek/month.html

      ** Alabama County Historical & Genealogical Societies & Records Repositories

      http://www.archives.state.al.us/referenc/hsglist.html

      ** Alabama Historical Association Marker Index

      http://www.archives.state.al.us/markers/histmarkindex.html

      ** Alabama History Resources on the Internet

      http://www.archives.alabama.gov/teacher/netres.html

      **Project to Document the Birmingham District

      [Includes the BhamWiki and the Magic City Flickr group]

      http://tinyurl.com/yt49xj

      **activeculture.info [cultural events calendar for central Alabama ]

      http://activeculture.info/index.asp

      **activeculture.info History Events

      http://tinyurl.com/hn3lf

      **activeculture.info Literature Events

      http://tinyurl.com/fnf5l

      ===============================

      **alabamahistory related links

      ===============================

      Listings since July 2002:

      Alabama History & Culture in the News

      http://www.anes.uab.edu/alahistnews0.htm

      Listings prior to that date are in the Yahoo archives.

      alabamahistory archives at Yahoo:

      ***************************************

      A.J. Wright, M.L.S.

      Associate Professor

      Director, Section on the History of Anesthesia

      Department of Anesthesiology Library

      University of Alabama at Birmingham

      619 19th Street South , JT965

      Birmingham AL 35249-6810