Alabama Heritage: King Cotton in Alabama

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 16, 2007

      From: Alabama Heritage <Alabama_Heritage@...>
      Sent: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 3:37 pm
      Subject: New! From the Vault: King Cotton in Alabama

      Alabama Heritage...from the Vault

      HOME
      Current Issue

      Subscribe
      Back Issues

      King Cotton in Alabama :
      A Brief History

      By Thomas W. Oliver

      Beginning in the early nineteenth century, cotton flourished in Alabama, drawing thousands of pioneers who hoped to prosper from the fleecy white staple. (From Harper's, courtesy Alabama Department of Archives and History)
      Beginning in the early nineteenth century, cotton flourished in Alabama , drawing thousands of pioneers who hoped to prosper from the "fleecy white staple." (From Harper's, courtesy Alabama Department of Archives and History)

      Dear Friends:

      There’s no better time than the dog days of summer for our latest release of Alabama Heritage: From the Vault. For your enjoyment and education, we have resurrected what we consider to be one of our most important articles ever: Thomas Oliver’s “King Cotton in Alabama : A Brief History.” Since it first appeared in the winter of 1995, this story of the 130-year lifespan of the king-turned-tyrant has been a favorite.

      Please enjoy this treat, and pass it along to friends who might not be on our email list yet. If you have suggestions for old favorites that should be resurrected, you can contact me at Donna.Cox@....

      May the temperatures drop and the creeks rise wherever you are,

      Donna Cox
      Editor, Alabama Heritage

      Click here to read "King Cotton in Alabama: A Brief History.'"

      Alabama Heritage
      325 Hackberry Lane
      Box 870342
      Tuscaloosa , Alabama 35487