Alabama History/Culture in the News: 8, 11-15 August & Bonus Material

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 15, 2007

      NOTE:

      Materials in brackets are my additions. Items are listed more or less in reverse chronological order within each section. All links are working at the time I send this email and post them to the web page listing. Some items are listed without links because I could not find online versions.

      Feel free to forward this email as desired....

      AND NOW THE NEWS...

      Additional articles can often be found at Google, Topix or Yahoo news sites:

      http://news.google.com/

      http://www.topix.net/

      http://news.yahoo.com/

      Please note that many articles continue beyond the single web page I have linked here. Web sites related to some articles often appear in the "Bonus Material" section.

      COMING EVENTS*HISTORY**CULTURE**DEATHS*BONUS MATERIAL

      ================

      **COMING EVENTS

      ================

      ** Alabama History Community Calendar

      http://www.archives.alabama.gov/adahcalendar.html

      =============

      **HISTORY

      =============

      **Von Braun's assistant [Frank Williams] talks about life in space program
      http://tinyurl.com/yuc85u
      Birmingham News 15 August 2007

      **History man

      David Alsobrook returns to Mobile as director of the city's history museum
      http://tinyurl.com/259a2q
      Mobile Press-Register 14 August 2007

      ** [Lawrence Co.] Archives getting a new home
      http://tinyurl.com/3ag8nq
      Florence Times-Daily 14 August 2007

      **
      ALABAMA HISTORY
      Hugo Black appointed to [Supreme] court [August 12, 1937]
      http://tinyurl.com/2rz4q9
      Montgomery Advertiser 14 August 2007

      **Yesterday’s News [in Mobile in 1857, 1907, etc.]
      August 15: http://tinyurl.com/2gfpdf
      August 14: http://tinyurl.com/265r86
      Mobile Press-Register

      **
      Heat wave continues to set records across Alabama
      http://tinyurl.com/3as3td
      Tuscaloosa News 13 August 2007

      **
      Balchs have proud history of service here and abroad

      http://tinyurl.com/yodu6c
      Huntsville Times 8 August 2007

      ===========

      **CULTURE

      ===========

      **Photographer, publisher works hard to achieve his big goal
      http://tinyurl.com/2zsubt
      Mobile Press-Register 14 August 2007

      **Dancers make debut at Carver [Vulcan Performers]
      http://tinyurl.com/2dal8w
      Birmingham News 14 August 2007

      ===========

      **DEATHS

      ===========

      **Ad agency exec Mac Patrick dies
      http://tinyurl.com/yq7fmf
      Mobile Press-Register 15 August 2007

      **Richmond Flowers was rejected voice of the New South [editorial]
      http://tinyurl.com/2brdrm
      Tuscaloosa News 13 August 2007

      **Richmond Flowers Is Dead at 88; Challenged Segregation and Klan
      http://tinyurl.com/224ytw
      New York Times 11 August 2007

      ==================

      **BONUS MATERIAL

      ==================

      **Red Mountain Theatre Company
      http://www.redmountaintheatre.org/

      **TERRIBLE MASSACRE AT FORT MIMS
      http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~cmamcrk4/pkt37.html
      From Pickett’s History of Alabama: http://tinyurl.com/37svhx

      ================

      **USEFUL LINKS

      ================

      ** Alabama History Community Calendar

      http://www.archives.alabama.gov/adahcalendar.html

      **THIS MONTH IN ALABAMA HISTORY

      http://www.archives.state.al.us/thisweek/month.html

      ** Alabama County Historical & Genealogical Societies & Records Repositories

      http://www.archives.state.al.us/referenc/hsglist.html

      ** Alabama Historical Association Marker Index

      http://www.archives.state.al.us/markers/histmarkindex.html

      ** Alabama History Resources on the Internet

      http://www.archives.alabama.gov/teacher/netres.html

      **activeculture.info [cultural events calendar for central Alabama ]

      http://activeculture.info/index.asp

      **activeculture.info History Events

      http://tinyurl.com/hn3lf

      **activeculture.info Literature Events

      http://tinyurl.com/fnf5l

      ===============================

      **alabamahistory related links

      ===============================

      Listings since July 2002:

      Alabama History & Culture in the News

      http://www.anes.uab.edu/alahistnews0.htm

      Listings prior to that date are in the Yahoo archives.

      alabamahistory archives at Yahoo:

      ***************************************

      A.J. Wright, M.L.S.

      Associate Professor

      Director, Section on the History of Anesthesia

      Department of Anesthesiology Library

      University of Alabama at Birmingham

      619 19th Street South, JT965

      Birmingham AL 35249-6810