Alabama History/Culture in the News: 13-16 July & Bonus Material

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 16, 2007
      Alabama History/Culture in the News: & Bonus Material

      Listings since July 2002:

      Alabama History & Culture in the News

      http://www.anes.uab.edu/alahistnews0.htm

      Listings prior to that date are in the Yahoo archives.

      alabamahistory archives at Yahoo:

      Materials in brackets are my additions. Items are listed more or less in reverse chronological order within each section. All links are working at the time I send this email and post them to the web page listing. Some items are listed without links because I could not find online versions.

      Feel free to forward this email as desired....

      ** Alabama History Community Calendar
      http://www.archives.alabama.gov/adahcalendar.html

      **THIS MONTH IN ALABAMA HISTORY
      http://www.archives.state.al.us/thisweek/month.html

      ** Alabama County Historical & Genealogical Societies & Records Repositories
      http://www.archives.state.al.us/referenc/hsglist.html

      ** Alabama Historical Association Marker Index
      http://www.archives.state.al.us/markers/histmarkindex.html

      ** Alabama History Resources on the Internet
      http://www.archives.alabama.gov/teacher/netres.html

      **activeculture.info [cultural events calendar for central Alabama ]
      http://activeculture.info/index.asp

      **activeculture.info History Events
      http://tinyurl.com/hn3lf

      **activeculture.info Literature Events
      http://tinyurl.com/fnf5l

      AND NOW THE NEWS...

      Additional articles can often be found at Google, Topix or Yahoo news sites:

      http://news.google.com/
      http://www.topix.net/
      http://news.yahoo.com/

      Please note that many articles continue beyond the single web page I have linked here. Web sites related to some articles often appear in the "Bonus Material" section.

      COMING EVENTS*HISTORY**CULTURE**DEATHS*BONUS MATERIAL

      ================
      **COMING EVENTS
      ================

      **[no entries this issue]

      =============
      **HISTORY
      =============

      **Move old graves or build around them?

      Rules are in place, care taken, but future growth is a concern
      [ Townsend Cemetery in Hazel Green]
      http://tinyurl.com/245ok3
      Huntsville Times 16 July 2007

      **Century of Christianity
      Disciples of Christ church celebrates 100 years
      http://tinyurl.com/yr8w3j
      Tuscaloosa News 16 July 2007

      **Colbert Ferry Park's new ranger shares trace's history with visitors
      http://tinyurl.com/2dfmlh
      Florence Times-Daily 15 July 2007

      **A visit to the South pays tribute to the struggle for civil rights
      http://tinyurl.com/334cem
      Pittsburgh Post-Gazette 15 July 2007

      **Bridge named to honor heroes of World War I
      http://tinyurl.com/ypg7ds
      Gadsden Times 15 July 2007

      **Politics of division have long history
      http://tinyurl.com/38cwhz
      Tuscaloosa News 15 July 2007

      **Author recounts days of POW camp in Aliceville
      http://tinyurl.com/3a8wlg
      Tuscaloosa News 15 July 2007

      **State seeks historical farms

      http://tinyurl.com/33bm5e
      Montgomery Advertiser 14 July 2007

      **Trial in 1965 Marion killing tentatively set for January
      http://tinyurl.com/2j24wv
      Birmingham News 14 July 2007

      **[ Birmingham native] 1988 July 15- Carl Lewis runs 100 meters in 9.78
       seconds.

      1894 July 16- A group of African-American miners in Alabama is killed by
                  striking white miners.

      1973 July 15- Willie McCovey becomes 15th major league player to hit 400
              Home Runs.

      1951 July 14- The George W. Carver National Monument is dedicated in
              Joplin , Missouri .  This is the first national monument to
              honor an African American.

      1968 July 14- Hank Aaron hit his 500th career home run in Atlanta , Georgia
              leading the Braves to a 4-2 win over the San Francisco
              Giants.  (In April of 1974, Hammerin' Hank will eclipse the
              old home run mark of 714 held by Babe Ruth.)
      FROM: Today in Black History
      http://listserv.icors.org/archives/Munirah.html

      **07-14-1928 - George Rose - Limestone County , AL - d. 12-16-2006
      disk jockey: Cousin Josh "The Cousin Josh Jam-O-Ree" [radio show]
      07-14-1928 - George "Cousin Josh" Rose - Huntsville , AL - d. 12-16-2006
      country singer: "Grand Ole Opry" [radio]

      **Yesterday's New [in Mobile in 1857, 1907, etc.]
      July 15: http://tinyurl.com/ysxr9p
      July 14: http://tinyurl.com/33a45y
      Mobile Press Register

      **Remembering the dead: Preserving our local cemeteries and their memories
      http://tinyurl.com/2s52vm
      Clanton Advertiser 13 July 2007

      ===========
      **CULTURE
      ===========

      ** Mobile to host special preview of [Ken] Burns' film
      http://tinyurl.com/ypjjce
      Mobile Press-Register 15 July 2007

      **Veteran [J.W. Hogan] writes what he knows in novel
      ‘On Butterfly Wings’ author to speak about romance, war at library
      http://tinyurl.com/24lexh
      Decatur Daily 15 July 2007

      **Former drunk [author Barry] Hannah got our town wrong
      http://tinyurl.com/2oca37
      Tuscaloosa News 15 July 2007

      **Truck driver carves out a ministry

      Paul Porter says woodworking is 'God's gift to me'
      http://tinyurl.com/yoswzj
      Birmingham News 13 July 2007

      ===========
      **DEATHS
      ===========

      **[James Noble] Harrell was poet, philanthropist
      http://tinyurl.com/394jvo
      Montgomery Advertiser 15 July 2007

      ** Lowndes County sheriff  [Willie Vaughner] dies at 58
      http://tinyurl.com/2ushve
      Montgomery Advertiser 14 July 2007

      ==================
      **BONUS MATERIAL
      ==================

      ** U.S. GenWeb Project: Cullman County
      http://www.rootsweb.com/~alcullm2/

      ***************************************

      A.J. Wright, M.L.S.
      Associate Professor
      Director, Section on the History of Anesthesia

      Department of Anesthesiology Library
      University of Alabama at Birmingham
      619 19th Street South , JT965
      Birmingham AL 35249-6810