FW: 1st Alabama Confederate Infantry banner coming home

    Message 1 of 1 , May 24, 2007

      From: Breedlove, Mike [mailto:Mike.Breedlove@...]

      Sent: Thursday, May 24, 2007 7:56 AM

      To: Amos J Wright

      Subject: 1st Alabama Confederate Infantry banner coming home

      Please go to

      http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070524/NEWS02/705240343/1009/NEWS05

      to read the story online.Thanks.

      WASHINGTON -- On Wednesday [May 23, 2007], the long-missing banner of Alabama 's 1st Confederate Infantry began its journey home. Two members of the Nebraska congressional delegation, Jeff Fortenberry and Lee Terry, presented the flag to Alabama Congressmen Terry Everett and Robert Aderholt during a morning ceremony on the steps of the Cannon Congressional House Office Building.

      The Nebraska State Historical Society has been in possession of the flag since around 1919, after it was donated by the Nebraska Grand Army of the Republic. That group officially returned the banner of the 1st Regiment Alabama Volunteer Infantry by donating it to the State of Alabama . The banner was given to Ed Bridges, director of the Alabama Department of Archives and History, and will be on display at the archives in Montgomery .

      "This flag was made in Montgomery in 1861 and members of this regiment, some of whom were from counties now in my congressional district, were the first from Alabama to enter into Confederate service," Everett said. "I am honored to share this moment in history in welcoming home this banner of the 1st Regiment after 145 years."