Alabama History/Culture in the News: 7-11 May & Bonus Material

    Message 1 of 1 , May 11, 2007
      Listings since July 2002:

      Alabama History & Culture in the News

      http://www.anes.uab.edu/alahistnews0.htm

      Listings prior to that date are in the Yahoo archives.

      alabamahistory archives at Yahoo:

      Materials in brackets are my additions. Items are listed more or less in
      reverse chronological order within each section. All links are working
      at the time I send this email and post them to the web page listing.
      Some items are listed without links because I could not find online
      versions.

      Feel free to forward this email as desired....

      **THIS MONTH IN ALABAMA HISTORY

      http://www.archives.state.al.us/thisweek/month.html

      **Alabama County Historical & Genealogical Societies & Records
      Repositories
      http://www.archives.state.al.us/referenc/hsglist.html

      **Alabama Historical Association Marker Index
      http://www.archives.state.al.us/markers/histmarkindex.html

      **Alabama History Resources on the Internet
      http://www.archives.alabama.gov/teacher/netres.html

      **activeculture.info [cultural events calendar for central Alabama]
      http://activeculture.info/index.asp

      **activeculture.info History Events
      http://tinyurl.com/hn3lf

      **activeculture.info Literature Events
      http://tinyurl.com/fnf5l

      AND NOW THE NEWS...

      Additional articles can often be found at Google, Topix or Yahoo news
      sites:

      http://news.google.com/
      http://www.topix.net/
      http://news.yahoo.com/

      Please note that many articles continue beyond the single web page I
      have linked here. Web sites related to some articles often appear in the
      "Bonus Material" section.

      COMING EVENTS*HISTORY**CULTURE**DEATHS*BONUS MATERIAL

      ================
      **COMING EVENTS
      ================

      **The Literacy Council's 2007 Historic Footnotes Loft Tour
      Saturday, May 12 from 1:00 - 5:00 pm
      Mother's Day weekend. Bring your Mom! The Historic Footnotes Loft Tour
      celebrates the history and uniqueness of life in Birmingham's vibrant
      downtown area. The self-paced, self-guided tour will give you an open
      door into the history of some of Birmingham's oldest buildings - and
      some fabulous homes and offices as well. All proceeds of this event
      support the work of The Literacy Council.
      http://www.literacy-council.org/

      **WWII pilot to speak to Friends of Avondale Park [May 14]
      [Bill Barnes, who grew up in Avondale]
      http://tinyurl.com/33etlm
      Birmingham News 10 May 2007

      =============
      **HISTORY
      =============

      **[Angus R.] Cooper inducted into [International] Maritime Hall of Fame
      http://tinyurl.com/34pvk9
      Mobile Press-Register 11 May 2007

      **Ex-trooper freed on bond in 1965 shooting death
      Lawyer may push to move Perry trial
      http://tinyurl.com/3yoae8
      Birmingham News 11 May 2007

      **Agency marks 90 years of relief
      [American Red Cross of Central Alabama]
      http://tinyurl.com/3678hj
      Montgomery Advertiser 11 May 2007

      **Ex-trooper surrenders in 1965 slaying
      http://tinyurl.com/2k6rqb
      Montgomery Advertiser 11 May 2007

      **Pioneer Days festival teaches history lessons [in Madison]
      http://tinyurl.com/2yplpz
      Madison Record 10 May 2007

      **Indicted ex-trooper will turn himself in
      Lawyer maintains officer protected self in 1965 shooting
      http://tinyurl.com/2lfmt3
      Birmingham News 10 May 2007

      **Not slipping away
      Restored 50-year-old boat has a family-like history
      http://tinyurl.com/2nf9fs
      Decatur Daily 10 May 2007

      **Indictment issued in civil rights-era slaying
      http://tinyurl.com/2m3k2b
      Montgomery Advertiser 10 May 2007

      **1963 May 11- One day after Reverend Fred Shuttlesworth announces
      agreement on a limited integration plan in Birmingham, Alabama, his home
      is bombed and a civil disturbance ensues.

      1963 May 10- Rev. Fred L. Shuttlesworth announces agreement on a limited
      integration plan which will end the Birmingham demonstrations.

      **1919 May 9- [Mobile native] James Reese Europe joins the ancestors
      after being stabbed to death by a crazed band member (his drummer) after
      a concert at Mechanics Hall in Boston. Europe was one of the preeminent
      jazz bandleaders of the early 20th century, beginning with his
      association with the team of J. Rosamond Johnson and Bob Cole in The
      Shoo Fly Regiment in 1906. Founder of the Clef Club, Europe joined the
      15th, and later, 369th Infantry Regiments. The military band he formed
      during World War I was one of the most popular in all of Europe.
      [More about J.R. Europe at http://www.jass.com/Others/europe.html ]
      FROM: Today in Black History
      http://listserv.icors.org/archives/Munirah.html

      **Fire at the Rocket Center
      Near miss for space history
      Irreplaceable Saturn V instruments unit OK; nose cone scorched
      http://tinyurl.com/379r95
      Huntsville Times 9 May 2007

      **Girl helps bring city [of Madison] history alive
      Student portrays figures with help of wedding gown
      http://tinyurl.com/38q24h
      Huntsville Times 9 May 2007

      **Buildings on former [Buck Creek] cotton mills site to make way for new
      YMCA
      http://tinyurl.com/33rmcp
      Birmingham News 9 May 2007

      **Indictment likely in 1965 civil rights-related killing
      http://tinyurl.com/3yw4aa
      Birmingham News 9 May 2007

      **Damage to space museum not as bad as feared
      http://tinyurl.com/289axv
      Montgomery Advertiser 9 May 2007

      **Ex-trooper faces indictment in 1965 civil rights slaying
      http://tinyurl.com/25vxtp
      Montgomery Advertiser 9 May 2007

      **Olde Tyme Healing [feature on a book at UAB's Reynolds Historical
      Library]
      http://tinyurl.com/332cy7
      WBHM-FM 9 May 2007

      **Yesterday's News [in Mobile in 1857, 1907, etc.]
      May 11: http://tinyurl.com/3bj8or
      May 10: http://tinyurl.com/3dvcs5
      May 9: http://tinyurl.com/38hmmk
      Mobile Press-Register

      **Wilton struggles as county thrives
      '39 school fire was downfall for town that didn't grow
      Birmingham News 9 May 2007 pp 1SC, 4SC

      ===========
      **CULTURE
      ===========

      **Artists add finishing touches to [Battle Housse] hotel
      http://tinyurl.com/33bhus
      Mobile Press-Register 11 May 2007

      **From 'the Canvas' to the cinema
      Students' film studies complexities of life as a violent teenager
      http://tinyurl.com/3cnhu7
      Huntsville Times 9 May 2007

      **Harper Lee biographer Charles Shields urges kids to take risks
      Author spends time with junior English honors students
      http://tinyurl.com/2j8xn8
      Huntsville Times 9 May 2007

      **Off the Shelf
      An interview with Tony Crunk, author of "Railroad John and the Red Rock
      Run"
      [Crunk is poet, children's book author and UAB English faculty member]
      http://tinyurl.com/28mr6r
      UAB Magazine winter 2007

      ===========
      **DEATHS
      ===========

      **Fox 54, WAMY owner Milton Grant dies at 84
      http://tinyurl.com/273rnu
      Huntsville Times 11 May 2007

      **Sherman Holland, developer, dies
      Brought commercial growth to Alabaster
      http://tinyurl.com/2l8s6r
      Birmingham News 9 May 2007

      **[Birmingham] Alabama native bluesman 'Big' Joe Duskin dead at 86
      http://tinyurl.com/396qxg
      Associated Press 8 May 2007

      **Blues pianist Big Joe Duskin dead at 85
      http://tinyurl.com/2kq48w
      Cincinnati Enquirer 7 May 2007

      ==================
      **BONUS MATERIAL
      ==================

      **World War II: Alabama Remembers
      It's been called America's "greatest generation."
      Now, it's a generation rapidly disappearing. In an effort to retain the
      stories, voices and images of these American heroes, Alabama Public
      Television proudly launches "WWII: Alabama Remembers". This statewide
      oral history project will record the memories of Alabama veterans, their
      spouses and other civilians involved in the war effort.
      Tell Us Your Story
      We are looking for stories of both soldiers and civilians who were alive
      during WWII and have poignant memories of the war. Please consider
      submitting your story online or mailing them to:
      WWII: Alabama Remembers
      Alabama Public Television
      2112 11th Ave. South, Suite 400
      Birmingham, AL 35205
      Please include establishing information such as your rank and location
      during the war or your relationship to a veteran. At our discretion,
      we will post stories on our website and may contact you for an
      interview.
      http://www.aptv.org/alabamaww2/index.asp

      **_The Meteor_ [newspaper by Bryce Hospital patients, 1871-1881]
      http://www.archives.alabama.gov/meteor/meteor.html

      ***************************************

      A.J. Wright, M.L.S.
      Associate Professor
      Director, Section on the History of Anesthesia

      Department of Anesthesiology Library
      University of Alabama at Birmingham
      619 19th Street South, JT965
      Birmingham AL 35249-6810