Southeast Alabama books, genealogy, etc.

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 23, 2007
      FYI... ajwright@...

      -----Original Message-----
      From: genealib-bounces@...
      [mailto:genealib-bounces@...] On Behalf Of Ceya
      Sent: Thursday, March 22, 2007 4:23 PM
      To: genealib@...
      Subject: [Genealib] Southeast Alabama books... Just to make you aware...

      For your information... Trying to get the word out and make you
      aware...

      Craig Remington, head of the cartographic lab at the University of
      Alabama,
      has--over the years--had his class go out and locate cemeteries in
      Alabama,
      and give directions to it. He appreciates any errors being corrected
      and/or
      additions to his rather thick book. The book is still for sale and has

      excellent maps with known, unknown, etc. cemeteries marked, etc. You
      really should email Craig and order his book. Also send any corrections
      cemeteries, send information on cemeteries not in book, etc. Email
      Craig
      at: cartlab@... In the subject line put:

      Attention: Craig Remington

      Also, I invite you to join The Southeast Alabama Genealogical and
      Historical
      Society, Inc. (SEAGHS). I co-founded this society in 1981 with Helon
      Cutler and it has been going ever since. We publish a quarterly,
      Wiregrass
      Roots, which is a benefit of membership. We also try to make you aware
      of
      what is available on southeast Alabama for researchers.

      The books you are referring to, must be the books from the estate of a
      friend of mine who died. We sold most of the books for her grandson;
      but, I
      will have to see if there are any left. Please email me again when I
      have
      time to check on this.

      A friend of mine, Mrs. Sarah Fowler, has just published her book on "A
      Window in Time: The 1860 Dale County, Alabama Census" w/annotations on
      almost each family in Dale County. If you are interested in purchasing

      this new publication, please email Sarah directly: rootsnall@...

      SEAGHS is presently working on inventorying Memory Hill Cemetery
      (Dothan,
      Houston County, Alabama and the book (only 50) will be quite thick. It
      is
      being typed now.

      SEAGHS also published--last year--An Index to History of Henry County,
      Alabama by Mrs. Marvin Scott. There are still a few copies of that for
      sale. Email: rdvalky@... if you are interested in that book
      (softbound).

      A friend and I are working on the 1820 Alabama Census (whole state
      alphabetized) with some information slightly before and right after.
      It
      may be a little ways off yet as we both have been very busy! It will be

      advertised in SEAGHS' Wiregrass Roots when it is ready--among other
      sites.

      Thanks for emailing.

      Ceya Minder U.D.C.; DAR; and SEAGHS Librarian
      Dothan, Alabama Retired teacher: Wallace Community College
      Genealogist, Preservationist,
      Conservationist,
      etc.