Diane Dieterle 1939-2007 [ Well known genealogist]

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 12, 2007
      Salt Lake Tribune, The (UT) - March 8, 2007
      Courtesy: www.GenealogyBank.com
      Diane Dieterle
      Diane Dieterle "World's Greatest Genealogist" Diane Shutley Dieterle,
      age 67, died Wednesday, March 7, 2007 in West Jordan, Utah from
      complications of Acute Myeloid Leukemia. She was born March 16, 1939 in
      Atlanta, Georgia, to Charles Crosby and Mary Weaver Williams Shutley.

      She was a graduate of Decatur High School and from Jacksonville State
      University, Jacksonville, Alabama, with a BA in History and English. She
      was a professional genealogist. She joined The Church of Jesus Christ of
      Latter-day Saints March 13, 1958 and always said it was the best
      decision she ever made. She was always active in the church and devoted
      her entire adult life to the family history program. During her lifetime
      she amassed 69,000 family names in her computer and had enough temple
      ordinances done by proxy to fill up the entire 21,000 seat LDS
      Conference Center. She married John H Dieterle June 6, 1960 in the Salt
      Lake Temple.

      She and her husband never had a "real" vacation, choosing instead to
      make every trip a genealogical trip. In the last five years she had made
      four trips back to Europe to bring home genealogical records from
      Germany, France, the Czech Republic and Switzerland. During her lifetime
      she published 13 family histories. Her church positions included
      Assistant Mission Genealogy Advisor (twice), Stake Family History
      Consultant (three times), Family History Center Director (three times),
      Ward Family History Consultant (many times), Gospel Doctrine teacher
      (for about 30 years), Primary President (twice), and a counselor in
      Relief Society and Young Women presidencies. Her favorite callings were
      always the teaching callings. She and her husband served two family
      history missions, first as the Directors of the New York City Family
      History Center, and later as missionaries at the Family History Library
      in Salt Lake City.

      Her most notable accomplishment was organizing and operating the
      Genealogical Library for the Blind and Physically Handicapped, Inc., in
      Atlanta, Georgia. She designed pedigree charts and family group sheets
      in both Braille and large print for the blind. She wrote and starred in
      a six part TV series for the deaf called "Genealogy in Sign." She also
      wrote and starred in a 12-part TV series called "Genealogy for Fun" that
      aired on PBS for 17 years and still runs on occasion in the southern
      states.

      Survived by her husband, Lt. Col. John H Dieterle, West Jordan; their
      children: Mary Lorraine Dieterle, Lehi; Claire Elizabeth Dieterle,
      Taylorsville; Benjamin Christian Dieterle, Salt Lake City; Charlotte
      McKenzie Dieterle Hatch, West Jordan; son-in-law, William Victor Hatch;
      three grandchildren: Kevin William Hatch, Elizabeth McKenzie Hatch,
      Caroline Michelle Hatch; brothers: Ronal Shutley, Alpharetta, GA; Crosby
      (Bing) Shutley, Converse, TX. She was preceded in death by her beloved
      firstborn, John H Dieterle, Jr., who received one of her kidneys. He
      died November 9, 1988 in Atlanta, Georgia. The family will receive
      visitors Saturday, March 10, 2007, 12:00-1:30 p.m. at the Cobble Creek
      Stake Center, 8150 South Grizzly Way (5410 West), West Jordan, Utah
      where the funeral will be held at 2:00 p.m. Burial will be in the family
      plot in the Decatur Cemetery, Decatur, Georgia on Monday, March 12,
      2007, 2:00 p.m. Arrangements under the direction of McDougal Funeral
      Home.
    • DaNptAl@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 12, 2007

        A DREAM REALIZED!
        On March 1, I got back from the printers my book, Prey For us All, the war letters of Benjamin Franklin Porter, 11th Alabama.

        (Yancey's Rifles, 11th Alabama, Wilcox's Brigade, Longstreet's Division, Army of Northern Virginia, R.E. Lee, commanding)

        Ben Porter was a 17 year old farm boy of moderate means who left his home at St. Stephens, Alabama in June 1861. He returned a sick, wounded man in February 1865 much older than his 21 chronological years. He was going home on sick furlough, but the War ended before he was physically able to return. A detail of union soldiers were sent up from Mobile to arrest him because he had not been properly surrendered and mustered out. His grandson (by the same name) told me that his grandfather was surrendered and paroled in the parlor of his home in St. Stephens.

        He was a prolific letter writer and he asked his sister Jane, to save them and she did. Though these letters have borne the elements of time, most of them survived in relatively good condition. Porter also began a Journal of his war years and that is included in my book as well.

        They were sent to "someone" in Hollywood in 1934 (36?) when Gone With the Wind was released to see if anyone there might have an interest in them at a time when the WBTS was popular. Nothing happened, but the letters did find their way back to St. Stephens, Al.  Then in the 1950's a University of Alabama student thought she would do something with Ben Porter's letters and took them off; but nothing came of this either, but thank God the family got the letters back.

        Porter saw action at Seven Pines, Gaines Mill, Fredericksburg, Salem Church, Wilderness, Harper's Ferry, months on end around Richmond, Petersburg, Spotsylvania Court House, North Anna River, the Crater, Reams Station, Sharpsburg.

        Although the 11th was in the Battle of Gettysburg, Benjamin Franklin Porter was not there; he was in the hospital and missed that critical engagement. He tells of his company's losses and regrets having missed being there to help. It would have been great to have had an eyewitness account of that high water mark, along with the others, but then perhaps we'd not have very many letters of Porter's had he been in the engagement.

        Ben Porter writes of  the cold Virginia snows to a south Alabama boy; homesickness, being unable to stop and comfort a comrade in the thick of battle, losing mess mates to sickness and enemy fire, being a part of the great revival that swept through Lee's army, the horror of seeing deserters shot, living for days on parched corn, wanting news from home, concern for his family's welfare, seeing Robert E. Lee. Confidence in the Cause exudes from Porter's writing. In one letter, he writes, "We have never given up a position except on orders." He writes over and over of the rightness of Southern independence.

        These letters are as close as you and I in this century can get to the front lines of that War. They speak to the integrity and honor and admirable character of "Lee's Invincibles."  I used the originals and collated them at least 4 times, (some required more) to make sure my manuscript reflects B. F. Porters letters exactly has he wrote them: nothing added, deleted or altered in any way. These are his words only.

        I have read them many times and each time I see something I missed in previous readings. And each time I close the book, I am  just a bit prouder to be a descendant of Confederate veterans like Benjamin Franklin Porter.

        I sell Prey For Us All for $19 which includes postage and handling.

        Ellen Williams
        1730 Carson Road
        Leroy, Al  36548        jeffersondavis@...
                                       251-146-9850

        The front cover of the book is an actual photograph of B.F. Porter's Confederate headstone. The back cover is his company (not regimental) flag, housed in the Alabama Department of Archives and History in Montgomery. It was returned to Alabama from a family in Virginia in 1953.