Alabama History/Culture in the News: 19-20 Nov & Bonus Material

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 21, 2006
      NOTE TO SUBSCRIBERS: This message will probably be the last one
      distributed to the list until at least Monday, November 27. Enjoy the
      holiday break and be safe!--aj

      Listings since July 2002:

      Alabama History & Culture in the News
      http://www.anes.uab.edu/alahistnews0.htm

      Listings prior to that date are in the Yahoo archives.

      alabamahistory archives at Yahoo:

      Materials in brackets are my additions. Items are listed more or less in
      reverse chronological order within each section. All links are working
      at the time I send this email and post them to the web page listing.
      Feel free to forward this email as desired....

      **THIS MONTH IN ALABAMA HISTORY
      http://www.archives.state.al.us/thisweek/month.html

      **activeculture.info [cultural events calendar for central Alabama]
      http://activeculture.info/index.asp

      **activeculture.info History Events
      http://tinyurl.com/hn3lf

      **activeculture.info Literature Events
      http://tinyurl.com/fnf5l

      AND NOW THE NEWS...

      Additional articles can often be found at Google, Topix or Yahoo news
      sites:

      http://news.google.com/
      http://www.topix.net/
      http://news.yahoo.com/

      Please note that many articles continue beyond the single web page I
      have linked here.

      COMING EVENTS*HISTORY**CULTURE**DEATHS*BONUS MATERIAL

      ================
      **COMING EVENTS
      ================

      **Alabama Expereince:
      Animal, Vegetable, Or Mineral: The Art Of Frank Fleming
      Sunday, November 26, 2006 12:30PM APT
      When Frank Fleming produces one of his animal sculptures, the results
      sometimes surprise him. As he works, the piece "takes on its own being,
      it seems to have a soul"-- a reminder, he says, of nature's importance
      in our lives. As Fleming explains it, his childhood on a small farm in
      northwest Alabama sowed the seeds of his artistic success: a fertile
      imagination, a deep reverence for nature, and a strong work ethic.

      **Bookmark: Mark Childress
      Sunday, November 26, 2006 1:30PM APT

      =============
      **HISTORY
      =============

      **HOMEOWNERS [of renovated historic houses] WANTED
      [for HGTV series "If Walls Could Talk"]
      http://tinyurl.com/y3z549
      Tuscaloosa News 20 November 2006

      **Yesterday's News [in Mobile in 1856, 1906, etc.]
      Nov 21: http://tinyurl.com/ykudau
      Mobile Press-Register

      **Shawnees at the Muscle Shoals
      http://tinyurl.com/y7ze5r
      Florence Times-Daily 19 November 2006

      **McKibbon House [built in 1900] changes ownership, but not its
      undeniable charm
      http://tinyurl.com/ydpflt
      Birmingham News 19 November 2006

      ===========
      **CULTURE
      ===========

      **'Gee's Bend' a synthesis of drama, history and folk art
      [ASF production written by Elyzabeth Gregory Wilder]
      http://tinyurl.com/y6mjj5
      Mobile Press-Register 19 November 2006

      **'On Agate Hill' marks a turning for author Lee Smith
      [Smith was once a reporter for Tuscaloosa News]
      http://tinyurl.com/y5468g
      Tuscaloosa News 19 November 2006

      **[Wade] Hall to lecture on Pulitzer Prize-winner Shirley Ann Grau at UL
      [Author Hall is Alabama native; Grau spent some of her childhood in
      Montgomery]
      http://tinyurl.com/sh77d
      Lafayette [LA] Daily Advertiser 19 November 2006

      ===========
      **DEATHS
      ===========

      **[no entries this issue]

      ==================
      **BONUS MATERIAL
      ==================

      **[no entries this issue]

      ***************************************

      A.J. Wright, M.L.S.
      Associate Professor
      Director, Section on the History of Anesthesia

      Department of Anesthesiology Library
      University of Alabama at Birmingham
      619 19th Street South, JT965
      Birmingham AL 35249-6810