FW: Daily Dose: Abundance: A Novel of Marie Antoinette [by Ala. author]

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 23, 2006
      From: dailydose@... [mailto:dailydose@...]
      Sent: Saturday, October 21, 2006 2:05 AM
      To: Amos J Wright
      Subject: Daily Dose: Abundance: A Novel of Marie Antoinette

      Today's Dose is reviewed by Catherine from Richmond, British Columbia,
      Canada

      Today's prize is $20 credit.
      Catherine, to claim your gift certificate click here by 11:59
      p.m.(Pacific Time) on Saturday, October 21st:
      https://www.powells.com/dose/cgi-bin/contest/dailydose_claimprize

      <<>
      Take today's Dose in HTML at:
      http://www.powells.com/dose/cgi-bin/biblio?isbn=0060825391
      <>>

      "Abundance, a Novel of Marie Antoinette"
      by Sena Jeter Naslund

      CATHERINE'S COMMENTS
      "I have always been very inquisitive about the life, times, and
      people who had contact with Marie Antoinette and the great queen
      herself. This book answers all my questions -- and even those
      I didn't know I had -- wonderfully. It adeptly narrates a very
      factual, breathless account of what Marie Antoinette really did
      and what truly happened to and around France's last queen. How
      can one fail to be fascinated by history when it is written so
      masterfully? This book is a rare gem, and a true classic-to-be."

      PUBLISHER COMMENTS
      "Like everyone, I am born naked."

      With this opening line of Naslund's compelling new novel, a very
      human Marie Antoinette invites readers to live her story as she
      herself experiences it. From the lush gardens of Versailles to
      the lights and gaiety of Paris, the verdant countryside of France,
      and finally the stark and terrifying isolation of a prison cell,
      the young queen's life is joyful, poignant, and harrowing by turns.
      As her world of unprecedented royal splendor crumbles, the charming
      Marie Antoinette matures into a heroine of inspiring stature,
      one whose nobility arises not from the circumstance of her birth
      but from her courageous spirit.

      Marie Antoinette was a child of fourteen when her mother, the
      Empress of Austria, arranged for her to leave her family and her
      country to become the wife of the fifteen-year-old Dauphin, the
      future King of France. Coming of age in the most public of arenas,
      the young queen embraces her new family and the French people,
      and she is embraced in return. Eager to be a good wife and strong
      queen, she shows her new husband nothing but love and encouragement,
      though he repeatedly fails to consummate their marriage and in
      doing so, fails to give her the thing she -- and the people of
      France -- desire most: a child and an heir to the throne.

      Deeply disappointed and isolated in her own intimate circle apart
      from the social life of the court, the queen allows herself to
      remain ignorant of the country's growing economic and political
      crises. She entrusts her soul to her women friends, her music
      teacher, her hairdresser, the ambassador from Austria, and a certain
      Swedish count so handsome that admirers label him the Picture.
      When her innocent and well-chaperoned pilgrimage to watch the
      sun rise is viciously misrepresented in satiric pamphlets as a
      drunken orgy, the people begin to turn against her. Poor harvests,
      bitter winters, war debts, and poverty precipitate rebellion and
      revenge as the royal family and many nobles are caught up in a
      murderous time known as the Terror.

      With penetrant insight into new historical scholarship and with
      wondrous narrative skill, Naslund offers an intimate, fresh, and
      dramatic re-creation of this compelling woman that goes beyond
      popular myth. Abundance reveals a compassionate and spontaneous
      Marie Antoinette who rejected the formality and rigid protocol
      of the court; an enchanting and tenderhearted outsider who was
      loved by her adopted homeland and people until she became the
      target of revolutionary cruelty and violence; a dethroned queen
      whose depth of character sustained her in even the worst of times.

      Once again, Sena Jeter Naslund has shed new light on an important
      moment of historical change and made that time as real to us as
      the one we are living now. Exquisitely detailed, beautifully written,
      heartbreaking and powerful, "Abundance" is a novel that is impossible
      to put down.

      REVIEWS
      "If you read one book about Marie Antoinette (also the subject
      of a movie starring Kirsten Dunst this fall), let it be Sena Jeter
      Naslund's gripping, gabby and beautifully poignant novel about
      the French queen's brief reign and bloody end."
      -- USA Today

      "Intensive historical inquiry enables Naslund to re-create Marie
      Antoinette's life with empathy and irresistibly piquant detail."
      -- Seattle Times

      "Naslund has done her homework, and imagined her complex, bewitching
      protagonist in persuasive depth and detail. The result is an exemplary
      historical novel."
      -- Kirkus Reviews

      "Carefully researched details about such things as the decor at
      Versailles lend verisimilitude but also often serve as symbolic
      motifs."
      -- Booklist

      "Immersing us in the life of the French court at its most vulnerable
      and decadent time, Naslund's marvelous work is more detailed and
      has more depth than Carolly Erickson's 'The Hidden Diary of Marie
      Antoinette.'"
      -- Library Journal

      ABOUT THE AUTHOR
      Sena Jeter Naslund is Writer in Residence at the University of
      Louisville, program director of the Spalding University brief-residency
      MFA in Writing, and current Kentucky Poet Laureate. Recipient
      of the Harper Lee Award and the Southeastern Library Association
      Fiction Award, she is editor of The Louisville Review and the
      Fleur-de-Lis Press. She is the author of the novels "Ahab's Wife,"
      "Four Spirits," and "Sherlock in Love" and a collection of stories,
      "The Disobedience of Water." She lives in Louisville, Kentucky.

      COPIES NOW AVAILABLE*
      Hardcover (New) $26.95
      Compact Disc (New) $39.95
      http://www.powells.com/dose/cgi-bin/biblio?isbn=0060825391

      *Please note that copies are limited to on-hand quantity; used copies,
      in particular, may be available in extremely limited supply.

      WISH LIST
      To add this title to your Powells.com wish list, click here:
      http://www.powells.com/dose/cgi-bin/wishlist?add=0060825391

      <<><><>>

      Browse previous doses at:
      http://www.powells.com/dose/features/dailydose.html#previous

      <<>>

      ABOUT THE DAILY DOSE
      Each day shortly after midnight we post the day's featured title on our
      web
      site and in an email to Daily Dose subscribers. The reader whose
      comment we use has until day's end (11:59 p.m. Pacific Time) to visit
      our special contest page and claim the prize. Each day the prize goes
      unclaimed, we add $20 credit to the available total!

      Click here to learn more:
      http://www.powells.com/dose/cgi-bin/contest/dailydose_contest

      <>