Alabama History/Culture in the News: 10-12 October & Bonus Material

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 12, 2006
      [NOTE TO SUBSCRIBERS: No messages with be distributed on alabamahistory October 13-18 while I attend a meeting in the Windy City. Enjoy the break!--aj]

      Listings since July 2002:

      Alabama History & Culture in the News
      http://www.anes.uab.edu/alahistnews0.htm

      Listings prior to that date are in the Yahoo archives:

      alabamahistory archives at Yahoo:

      Materials in brackets are my additions. Items are listed more or less in
      reverse chronological order within each section. All links are working
      at the time I send this email and post them to the web page listing.
      Feel free to forward this email as desired....

      **THIS MONTH IN ALABAMA HISTORY
      http://www.archives.state.al.us/thisweek/month.html

      **activeculture.info [cultural events calendar for central Alabama]
      http://activeculture.info/index.asp

      **activeculture.info History Events
      http://tinyurl.com/hn3lf

      **activeculture.info Literature Events
      http://tinyurl.com/fnf5l

      AND NOW THE NEWS...

      Additional articles can often be found at Google, Topix or Yahoo news
      sites: http://news.google.com/
      http://www.topix.net/
      http://news.yahoo.com/

      Please note that many articles continue beyond the single web page I
      have linked here.

      COMING EVENTS*HISTORY**CULTURE**DEATHS*BONUS MATERIAL

      ================
      **COMING EVENTS
      ================

      **[no entries this issue]

      =============
      **HISTORY
      =============

      **[Alabama] Business HOF to induct [Stanley] Robbins
      http://tinyurl.com/v5hgr
      Florence Times Daily 12 October 2006

      **Relay race to honor Tuskegee Airmen
      http://tinyurl.com/eaplp
      Montgomery Advertiser 12 October 2006

      Yesterday's News [in Mobile in 1856, 1906, etc.]
      Oct 12: http://tinyurl.com/y5mnkp
      Mobile Press-Register

      ===========
      **CULTURE
      ===========

      **'Two and a Half Men' writer [Mark Roberts] lets UAH Theater debut
      redneck play
      http://tinyurl.com/y28lfh
      Huntsville Times 12 October 2006

      ** A new deal
      FAME Records partnering with EMI Music Marketing
      http://tinyurl.com/hxmea
      Florence Times Daily 12 October 2006

      ** Hoover High seeks to stop profiteers
      Some benefit from school's name
      http://tinyurl.com/y94bjk
      Birmingham News 12 October 2006

      ** Finding Harper Lee
      http://tinyurl.com/y5gcty
      Greensboro [NC] News-Record 11 October 2006

      ** MTV, Ala. school discussing payment for year two of `Two-A-Days'
      http://tinyurl.com/h5mul
      Montgomery Advertiser 11 October 2006

      **UAB alumnus, photographer [Ryan Russell] talks music, photos
      http://tinyurl.com/n9v6x
      Kaleidoscope [UAB] 10 October 2006

      **Art show exhibits professors' works
      http://tinyurl.com/zxvnn
      Kaleidoscope [UAB] 10 October 2006

      **Locally-born band, Rewinds press play
      http://tinyurl.com/frxh4
      Kaleidoscope [UAB] 10 October 2006

      ===========
      **DEATHS
      ===========

      **[no entries this issue]

      **Title: Southern Historian Call for Papers
      Deadline: 2006-11-01
      manuscript submissions for its 2006 Edition. All submissions
      must be in the field of southern history and the author must be
      an active graduate student. Manuscripts must be received by
      November 1 and early submissions are strongly encouraged. If
      you are in ...
      Contact: shistory@...
      Announcement ID: 152821
      http://www.h-net.org/announce/show.cgi?ID=152821

      ***************************************

      A.J. Wright, M.L.S.
      Associate Professor
      Director, Section on the History of Anesthesia

      Department of Anesthesiology Library
      University of Alabama at Birmingham
      619 19th Street South, JT965
      Birmingham AL 35249-6810