FW: Gracefully Aging Southern Women [by Bham author]

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 9, 2006
      From: Capitol Book [mailto:capitolbook@...]
      Sent: Monday, October 09, 2006 10:35 AM
      To: Capitol Book
      Subject: Gracefully Aging Southern Women

       The Capitol Book Newsletter
      Monday, October 9, 2006

      Today's Contents:
      1. Surprise Runaway Bestselling Author Here Tomorrow

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      We're Not All Old, But We Are All Aging

      We certainly did not see this one coming, but our bestselling book of
      the year is SWAG, which was written by Melinda Rainey Thompson from
      Birmingham, and which stands for Southern Women Aging Gracefully.

      Melinda graduated from Tulane University and has her Masters in English
      from UAB. She has served on the faculty of Birmingham-Southern College,
      and still lives in Birmingham. A few years ago she began a monthly
      mailing of her humorous essays about ordinary events from a Southern
      woman's perspective. Folks loved it, and her subscription list
      quickly grew to nearly 5,000 people in 28 states. The best of the essays
      have now been collected into this very funny, and already very popular,
      book. Covering topics that range from swimsuit shopping, to family
      reunions, to squirrel battles, to sick children, to cemetery etiquette,
      SWAG will fit right alongside the Sweet Potato Queens and the Ya-Ya
      Sisterhood and especially Being Dead Is No Excuse.

      How popular is the book? We bought lots of copies for this booksigning,
      and then sold out of all those. When we tried to reorder from the
      publisher we learned they, too, were sold out! So we scrambled, begged
      and borrowed, and now we have what we hope will be enough books for
      Melinda's appearance HERE AT THE STORE TOMORROW, TUESDAY OCTOBER 10,
      FROM 4-5:30. ($14.95 paperback)

      Cheryl and Thomas Upchurch
      Capitol Book & News Company
      Voice 334.265.1473