Alabama History/Culture in the News: 10-15 September & Bonus Material

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 15, 2006
      [WARNING! A monster issue!!]

      Listings since July 2002:

      Alabama History & Culture in the News
      http://www.anes.uab.edu/alahistnews0.htm

      alabamahistory archives at Yahoo:

      Listings prior to that date are in the Yahoo archives.

      Materials in brackets are my additions. Items are listed more or less in
      reverse chronological order within each section. All links are working
      at the time I send this email and post them to the web page listing.
      Feel free to forward this email as desired....

      **THIS MONTH IN ALABAMA HISTORY
      http://www.archives.state.al.us/thisweek/month.html

      **activeculture.info [cultural events calendar for central Alabama]
      http://activeculture.info/index.asp

      AND NOW THE NEWS...

      Additional articles can often be found at Google, Topix or Yahoo news
      sites: http://news.google.com/
      http://www.topix.net/
      http://news.yahoo.com/

      Please note that many articles continue beyond the single web page I
      have linked here.

      COMING EVENTS*HISTORY**CULTURE**DEATHS*BONUS MATERIAL

      ================
      **COMING EVENTS
      ================

      2006

      **Page and Palette announces September events [mostly Alabama authors]
      http://tinyurl.com/z7kj7
      Mobile Press-Register 13 September 2006

      **Follow Alabama's first antique trail [Sept. 15-17]
      http://tinyurl.com/hovcj
      Montgomery Advertiser 15 September 2006

      **Fairhope library gala to feature 'A Novel Night' [September 16]
      Evening to include tour of new building, silent auction, celebrity
      authors and theatrical spoof [includes many Alabama authors]
      http://tinyurl.com/evvbg
      Mobile Press-Register 14 September 2006

      **Alabama Experience: Story Of Faunsdale Plantation
      Times this episode will air on APT:
      Sunday, September 17, 2006 at 12:30PM
      Faunsdale Plantation in Alabama's Black Belt has been in the same
      matrilineal line since it was settled more than 150 years ago. It's
      owners have overcame adversity such as war, Reconstruction, and economic
      uncertainty in a variety of ways, and passed to the next generation the
      only thing they could: a bit of what they'd learned.

      **September 21
      The Writings of Montgomery's First Historian, presented by Mary Ann
      Neely. ArchiTreats (Food for Thought) 12 noon until 12:50 p.m. Alabama
      Department of Archives and History. 624 Washington Street, Montgomery.

      **Storyteller Kathryn Tucker Windham will appear at two public events
      Sept. 26-27 sponsored by the University of North Alabama Distinguished
      Events Series. She will speak at 7 p.m. Sept. 26 and noon Sept. 27, both
      in Norton Auditorium. http://tinyurl.com/hfspz Birmingham News 15
      September 2006

      **The Birmingham Museum of Art
      William Christenberry Photographs: 1961-2005
      September 30 through December 24, 2006
      http://www.artsbma.org/press/releases/christenberry.html

      **November 16
      Anne Hodges and the Day the Star Fell, presented by John C. Hall.
      ArchiTreats (Food for Thought) 1 2noon until 12:50 p.m. Alabama
      Department of Archives and History. 624 Washington Street, Montgomery.

      **December 21
      Alabama Folk Pottery, presented by Joey Brackner, Alabama State Arts
      Council. ArchiTreats (Food for Thought) 1 2noon until 12:50 p.m.
      Alabama Department of Archives and History. 624 Washington Street,
      Montgomery.

      2007

      **April 21:
      Alabama Literary Festival. Montgomery. Sponsored by the Alabama Center
      for the Book. http://www.alabamabookcenter.org/

      =============
      **HISTORY
      =============

      **Helicopter to place crowning point on Alabama's tallest skyscraper
      http://tinyurl.com/kg8j8
      Mobile Press-Register 15 September 2006

      **Trail of Tears bikers set to ride area's highways
      http://tinyurl.com/ejqtf
      Huntsville Times 15 September 2006

      **UA pioneer [Autherine Lucy] Foster saluted for deed
      State senators honor her for 1956 integration attempt
      http://tinyurl.com/jlerm
      Birmingham News 15 September 2006

      **Riders have a choice
      [Trail of] Tears cyclists may head to Waterloo
      http://tinyurl.com/fos6u
      Florence Times-Daily 15 September 2006

      **1963 September 15: Four children are killed in bombing of a black
      Baptist church in Birmingham.
      FROM: Poor Gabriel's Almanac poorgabriel@...

      **Alabama's tallest building gets its crown Saturday [in Mobile]
      [also Tuscaloosa News http://tinyurl.com/g6pj5 and
      Florence Times-Daily http://tinyurl.com/hclh4 ]
      http://tinyurl.com/j3oz7
      Montgomery Advertiser 14 September 2006

      **Panel denies News' demolition request
      90-year-old building to stand 6 more months
      http://tinyurl.com/ekgf6
      Birmingham News 14 September 2006

      **Ferry set to cross river, connect Gees Bend, Camden
      Rides free this month in attempt to build ridership, good will
      http://tinyurl.com/jo43l
      Birmingham News 14 September 2006

      **Cemetery's historic designation an opportunity to recall the past
      [Harpersville Garden of Memories]
      http://tinyurl.com/fa22a
      Birmingham News 14 September 2006

      **More than 100,000 expected for Trail of Tears ride
      http://tinyurl.com/gv7ju
      Decatur Daily 14 September 2006

      **[Alabama] Power company flexes history
      http://tinyurl.com/o87p7
      Tuscaloosa News 14 September 2006

      **Old beach park hotel [at Gulf State Park] to be razed
      http://tinyurl.com/gu4sp
      Montgomery Advertiser 14 September 2006

      **[C.C. Clay] Bridge demolished
      http://tinyurl.com/ffctw
      Montgomery Advertiser 14 September 2006

      **Historic records available for viewing on microfilm
      The Chilton County Probate Office is catching up to the 21st century.
      http://tinyurl.com/he7r6
      Clanton Advertiser 13 September 2006

      **One of oldest churches expands for future
      [Madison United Methodist Church organized in 1828]
      http://tinyurl.com/k5q5f
      Huntsville Times 13 September 2006

      **Museum [of Mobile] celebrates anniversary
      http://tinyurl.com/zrmzz
      Mobile Press-Register 13 September 2006

      **[Possibly historic] Island shipwreck taken to landfill
      http://tinyurl.com/gg5u4
      Mobile Press-Register 13 September 2006

      **Bessemer's Sweet House mansion getting an uplift
      [built in 1906 by Henry Sweet, Sr., Bessmer's first mortician]
      http://tinyurl.com/grbhx
      Birmingham News 13 September 2006

      **[Former] Red Mtn. Museum site nearer for possible sale
      http://tinyurl.com/e6l4q
      Birmingham News 13 September 2006

      **Trail of Tears participants to be directed to McFarland
      http://tinyurl.com/els8w
      Florence Times-Daily 13 September 2006

      **Looking back: 50 years ago [25 years ago, etc.] this week
      http://tinyurl.com/eqspa
      Tuscaloosa News 13 September 2006

      **Second hatch on [CSS] Hunley [built in Mobile] being removed
      [also Tuscaloosa News http://tinyurl.com/kfq73 and
      Florence Times-Daily http://tinyurl.com/jdmop ]
      http://tinyurl.com/fs5tq
      Montgomery Advertiser 13 September 2006

      **1948 September 13: Nell Carter, actor, singer [is born. Birmingham
      native died in 2003. Internet Movie Database entry:
      http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0141846/ ]
      FROM: Poor Richard's Almanac poorgabriel@...

      **1948 September 13- Nell Carter is born in Birmingham, Alabama. She
      will become a Broadway sensation as a singer and actress in Broadway's
      "Bubbling Brown Sugar", "Ain't Misbehavin' " (for which she will win a
      Tony), and for five seasons in television's "Gimme a Break".

      1965 September 13- Willie Mays hits his 500th career home run.

      1972 September 13- Two African Americans, Johnny Ford of Tuskegee and
      A.J. Cooper of Prichard, are elected mayors in Alabama.

      1913 September 12- James Cleveland Owens is born in Oakville, Alabama.
      He will be better known as Jesse Owens, one of the greatest track and
      field stars in history. Owens will achieve fame at the 1936 Summer
      Olympic Games in Berlin, where he will win four gold medals, dispelling
      Hitler's notion of the superior Aryan race and the inferiority of black
      athletes. Among his honors will be the Medal of Freedom, presented to
      him by President Gerald Ford in 1976.

      1992 September 12- [Decatur native] Mae C. Jemison becomes the first
      woman of color to go into space when she travels on the space shuttle
      Endeavour.

      2000 September 12- James Perkins becomes the first African American
      mayor of Selma, Alabama, defeating long-time mayor Joe Smitherman with
      60% of the vote. Smitherman had been mayor for thirty six years. He was
      the mayor of Selma in 1965 when sheriff's deputies and state troopers
      attacked hundreds of voting rights marchers on Selma's Edmund Pettus
      Bridge in what became known as "Bloody Sunday."
      FROM: Today in Black History
      http://listserv.icors.org/archives/Munirah.html

      **Harper Lee's sister [Alice], still practicing law, turns 95
      [also Decatur Daily 13 September http://tinyurl.com/zzdvn ]
      http://tinyurl.com/ke7xu
      Columbus [GA] Ledger-Enquirer 12 September 2006

      **2 Jefferson County animals inducted into [Alabama Animal] hall of fame
      http://tinyurl.com/j3pj5
      Birmingham News 12 September 2006

      **Yesterday's News [in Mobile in 1856, 1906, etc.]
      Sept 15: http://tinyurl.com/j6dbm
      Sept 14: http://tinyurl.com/e5ymt
      Sept 13: http://tinyurl.com/gebo6
      Sept 12: http://tinyurl.com/fm4ka
      Mobile Press-Register

      **Forgotten Trails : Storms of by-gone days remembered in diary
      http://tinyurl.com/kdwu8
      Brewton Standard 11 September 2006

      **Three books on Bear and the Crimson Tide, two of them good
      Birmingham News 10 September 2006 p8F

      **Tuned into the past
      Birmingham's broadcasting history is focus of new book
      [Tim Hollis, "Birmingham Broadcasting"]
      Birmingham News 10 September 2006 pp1F, 6F

      ===========
      **CULTURE
      ===========

      **Strange array of creatures lies under Alabama
      UA scientists to study ecosystems
      http://tinyurl.com/jcauw
      Birmingham News 15 September 2006

      **Baptist pastor's book a guideline for midlife [Gary Fenton]
      http://tinyurl.com/l72mj
      Birmingham News 15 September 2006

      **Jordan Lane: Huntsville's ethnic restaurant melting pot
      http://tinyurl.com/kq3qs
      Huntsville Times 14 September 2006

      **Ocean explore: Mobilian Mike deGruy has devoted a career to
      documenting wildlife above and below the ocean
      http://tinyurl.com/z9ftw
      Mobile Press-Register 14 September 2006

      **Majority black, white schools unite to stage `Mockingbird'
      Students get `exercise in empathy' and a rare meeting [with Harper Lee]
      [also Tuscaloosa News http://tinyurl.com/j9tlp ]
      http://tinyurl.com/gu3uo
      Birmingham News 14 September 2006

      **Show a turn-off for some in Hoover
      Many feel `Two-A-Days' doesn't accurately depict Hoover High
      http://tinyurl.com/zzlmo
      Birmingham News 14 September 2006

      **[Decatur Public] Library seeking [new and heirloom] quilts for
      upcoming show
      http://tinyurl.com/kc9p5
      Decatur Daily 14 September 2006

      **An Author's Perspective
      Linda Howard visits English classes at Gadsden High School
      http://tinyurl.com/erxm8
      Gadsden Times 14 September 2006

      **Journey to Maggie
      Cookbook helping Tricia Thompson fund adoption of daughter
      http://tinyurl.com/k8knw
      Decatur Daily 13 September 2006

      **Alabama native's album brings fresh sound to predictable genre
      {Peter Bradley Adams]
      http://tinyurl.com/emzyg
      Kaleidoscope [UAB] 12 September 2006

      **[Tuskegee native] Lionel Richie Gets His Groove Back
      http://tinyurl.com/fgr85
      New York Times 12 September 2006

      **Sacred Harp reunion held at old log church in Edwardsville
      http://tinyurl.com/g9ouo
      Montgomery Advertiser 12 September 2006

      **"Mockingbird" author to get Birmingham Pledge honor
      Harper Lee honored for lifetime achievement
      Birmingham News 12 September 2006 p2D

      **Soprano [Angela Brown] credits Oakwood, teacher for path that led her
      to opera fame
      http://tinyurl.com/kghjv
      Huntsville Times 10 September 2006

      ===========
      **DEATHS
      ===========

      **Former Lowndes County Tax Collector Linda Barganier dies
      http://tinyurl.com/hjjjt
      Montgomery Advertiser 15 September 2006

      **Longtime Jackson probate judge dies [Bob Gentry]
      http://tinyurl.com/hoqu6
      Huntsville Times 14 September 2006

      **Former TV5 weatherman Bob Stuart dies
      http://tinyurl.com/h4648
      Mobile Press-Register 14 September 2006

      **Black separatist [Milton] Henry dies, had tried to create government
      of ex-slave states [including Alabama]
      http://tinyurl.com/ztq8m
      WTVM-TV [Columbus GA] 13 September 2006

      **Alabama business leader [June Collier Fletcher] dies
      http://tinyurl.com/e7q9f
      Tuscaloosa News 12 September 2006

      **Civil rights leader Nelson Smith dies
      http://tinyurl.com/hwcdt
      Montgomery Advertiser 12 September 2006

      ==================
      **BONUS MATERIAL
      ==================

      **Local Alabama Historical Societies
      http://www.archives.state.al.us/referenc/hsglist.html

      **Trail of Tears
      From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
      http://tinyurl.com/j4zs2

      **Wikiquote of the day [September 12, 2006]:

      "When I came back to my native country, after all the stories about
      Hitler, I couldn't ride in the front of the bus. I had to go to the
      back door. I couldn't live where I wanted. When I came back to my
      native country, after all the stories about Hitler, I couldn't ride
      in the front of the bus. I had to go to the back door. I couldn't
      live
      where I wanted. I wasn't invited to shake hands with Hitler, but I
      wasn't invited to the White House to shake hands with the President,
      either. -- Jesse Owens http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Jesse_Owens

      **Title: CFP Southern Literature and Culture
      Location: Massachusetts
      Deadline: 2006-11-01
      April 4 - 7, 2007 Conference location: Boston Marriott Copley
      Place, Boston, Massachusetts Contemporary Southern literature
      remains a growing area for further/future discussion(s) and
      criticism(s) within the context of society. This CFP seeks con
      Contact: bloss_christopher@...
      Announcement ID: 152650
      http://www.h-net.org/announce/show.cgi?ID=152650

      **Discovering Alabama [long-running APT program]
      http://www.discoveringalabama.org/
      [Most programs deal with Alabama's natural resources and natural
      history, but some historical sites such as Fort Morgan, Moundville and
      the Wetumpka Impact Crater are included]

      ***************************************

      A.J. Wright, M.L.S.
      Associate Professor
      Director, Section on the History of Anesthesia

      Department of Anesthesiology Library
      University of Alabama at Birmingham
      619 19th Street South, JT965
      Birmingham AL 35249-6810