Alabama History/Culture in the News: 5-8 September & Bonus Material

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 8, 2006
      Listings since July 2002:

      Alabama History & Culture in the News
      http://www.anes.uab.edu/alahistnews0.htm

      Alabamahistory archives at Yahoo:

      Listings prior to that date are in the Yahoo archives.

      Materials in brackets are my additions. Items are listed more or less in
      reverse chronological order within each section. All links are working
      at the time I send this email and post them to the web page listing.
      Feel free to forward this email as desired....

      AND NOW THE NEWS...

      COMING EVENTS*HISTORY**CULTURE**DEATHS*BONUS MATERIAL

      **THIS MONTH IN ALABAMA HISTORY
      http://www.archives.state.al.us/thisweek/month.html

      **activeculture.info [cultural events calendar for central Alabama]
      http://activeculture.info/index.asp

      ================
      **COMING EVENTS
      ================

      **Birmingham Artwalk [Sept. 8 & 9]
      http://www.birminghamartwalk.com/Artwalk/

      **Mobile Genealogical Society meets [Sept. 9]
      http://tinyurl.com/ntftr
      Mobile Press-Register 6 September 2006

      **Museum program to feature Donelson [Sept. 10]
      Cathy Donelson will present "Settlement Patterns" at the "Sunday
      Afternoon at the Museum" program at 2 p.m. Sunday at the Baldwin County
      Heritage Museum.
      http://tinyurl.com/orfvq
      Mobile Press-Register 6 September 2006

      **Eric Essix [Birmingham jazz guitarist]
      Times this episode will air on APT:
      Sunday, September 10, 2006 at 8:00PM
      Thursday, September 14, 2006 at 8:00PM
      Producer/director Dwight Cammeron won an Emmy for his documentary about
      Birmingham's own Dorothy Love Coates, a legend in the gospel music
      industry. His latest project focuses once again on a music maker from
      the Magic City, this time jazz guitarist Eric Essix. Essix, a chart
      topping award winner who was listed among the city's top 100 things to
      see, is also the youngest person to be inducted in Alabama's Jazz Hall
      of Fame among greats Nat King Cole and Sun Ra. But considering the
      extent of Essix's talent, these achievements may be not be as surprising
      as another feat: succeeding on his own terms while remaining on his own
      turf. Rather than heed the call of big city studios, Essix chose to
      return to Birmingham after graduating from Boston's prestigious Berklee
      School of Music. He set up shop downtown, not far from where his
      grandfather bought him his first guitar. "There's really no reason for
      me to live in LA or New York," Essix says. "We have an airport here, we
      have fax machines, and now we do everything via computer - create music,
      transfer music. So there's really no reason for me to be anywhere else."
      Cammeron takes viewers inside Essix's studio but doesn't stop there. The
      documentary traces the creative process for Essix's latest album "Abide
      with Me," highlighting performances at Birmingham's Workplay theater,
      then culminating with the release party. "I had to depend on archival
      footage to show Dorothy performing," Cammeron says, "but with Eric, it
      unfolds right there, in front, for everybody to watch. We get to see it
      happen." While it was Cammeron's respect for Essix that interested him
      initially in the project, his love for jazz was also influential.
      "Eric's so good that he converted our whole crew, everybody from editors
      and engineers to videographers and budget coordinators are now jazz
      fans." Cammeron's documentary - or perhaps "jazzumentary" - is likely to
      convert viewers into jazz fans too.

      **Pilot Town exhibit set to open Sept. 22
      Fairhope Historical Museum display to tell story of Navy Cove town
      destroyed by 1906 hurricane
      http://tinyurl.com/o3o8w
      Mobile Press-Register 8 September 2006

      **Sidewalk Moving Picture Festival [8th annual, Birmingham, Sept. 22-24]
      http://www.sidewalkfest.com/

      **Clay House [Museum] calling all artists to apply for its Fall Festival
      [of Arts, Oct. 7 http://www.clay-house.com/ ]
      http://tinyurl.com/rmd7m
      Huntsville Times 6 September 2006

      =============
      **HISTORY
      =============

      **Tuned in to the past [Tim Hollis, author of _Birmingham Broadcasting_]
      http://tinyurl.com/r8q9l
      Birmingham News 8 September 2006

      **American Village gets federal grant for at-risk kids program
      http://tinyurl.com/o8dfv
      Birmingham News 8 September 2006

      **A life of teaching lessons [Woody Bristow, principal at former
      Eastwood Junior High School from 1960s into 1980s led school through
      integration]
      http://tinyurl.com/s6ba4
      Tuscaloosa News 8 September 2006

      **Member of 'Greatest Generation' wants readers to know his story
      [Stanley Richardson, author of _Growing Up in a Foxhole_]
      http://tinyurl.com/m6n9v
      Montgomery Advertiser 8 September 2006

      **1973 September 8- Hank Aaron sets the record for most Home Runs in one
      league (709).

      1940 September 8- Willie Tyler is born in Red Level, Alabama. He will
      become a well known ventriloquist along with his wooden partner, Lester.
      FROM: Today in Black History
      http://listserv.icors.org/archives/Munirah.html

      **Ex-torpedoman recalls WWII service
      http://tinyurl.com/ljdqc
      Decatur Daily 7 September 2006

      **Tuskegee Airman to speak in New Hanover
      http://tinyurl.com/s3aku
      New Egypt [NJ] Press 7 September 2006

      **Historian fears bits of past in danger [in Malbis]
      http://tinyurl.com/qskf2
      Mobile Press-Register 7 September 2006

      **American Indians return home for festival in Shoals
      http://tinyurl.com/pbu2n
      Florence Times-Daily 7 September 2006

      **WWII veteran [in Florence] gets medals 60 years late
      http://tinyurl.com/mlckg
      Montgomery Advertiser 7 September 2006

      **State funds ensure historic [Gee's Bend] ferry will return - for now
      http://tinyurl.com/f775p
      Montgomery Advertiser 7 September 2006

      **Mementos, memories mark '70s baseball dynasty [Montgomery in Southern
      League]
      http://tinyurl.com/o7fgt
      Montgomery Advertiser 7 September 2006

      **Colbert County veteran gets medals 60 years after WWII service
      http://tinyurl.com/psan5
      Florence Times-Daily 6 September 2006

      **`I've just always liked history, as far back as I can remember.'
      [Christopher Eiland, 26, director of the Bessemer Hall of History]
      http://tinyurl.com/mwrwa
      Birmingham News 6 September 2006

      **Camp Jimmy Goodwin alums have lake reunion
      http://tinyurl.com/lwmfy
      Birmingham News 6 September 2006

      **Memorialized roads turn highways into myways
      Alabama landscape boasts hundreds of personalized streets, bridges and
      tunnels
      http://tinyurl.com/pwtgl
      Birmingham News 6 September 2006

      **Resident's snapshot recalls 1936 plane crash [in Forest Park]
      http://tinyurl.com/ldwk5
      Birmingham News 6 September 2006

      **Star Theatre
      Renovation of historic site may be just the beginning for Moulton
      http://tinyurl.com/r488c
      Decatur Daily 6 September 2006

      **Mansion fire tied to occult intruder?
      Investigators find evidence of possible seance in vacant Tampary house
      http://tinyurl.com/rxw3t
      Mobile Press-Register 6 September 2006

      **Yesterday's News [in Mobile in 1856, 1906, etc.]
      Sept 8: http://tinyurl.com/ptz2h
      Sept 7: http://tinyurl.com/ry2wt
      Sept 6: http://tinyurl.com/og2rm
      Mobile Press-Register

      **Slater's clothing ends 40-year run
      Countless customers found fashion at downtown store
      Birmingham News 6 September 2006 pp 1D, 6D

      **Officials: Mansion fire possibly caused by candles from séance
      [78-year old Tampary Mansion in Malbis]
      http://tinyurl.com/ou93p
      Tuscaloosa News 5 September 2006

      **Federal Grant To Fund Music History Trail [in Alabama]
      http://tinyurl.com/q2g2d
      KTVU.com [San Francisco] 5 September 2006

      ===========
      **CULTURE
      ===========

      **Getting the Point Novelist Jennifer Paddock captures spirit, beauty of
      Eastern Shore [in second novel _Point Clear_]
      http://tinyurl.com/lhfsa
      Mobile Press-Register 8 September 2006

      **Sprawling model train layout, hobbyists near end of the line
      http://tinyurl.com/rjrnr
      Birmingham News 7 September 2006

      **Alabama food a winner [for state tourism]
      http://tinyurl.com/p8lt8
      Mobile Press-Register 6 September 2006

      **A cornfield maze to amaze
      Farmers tout home-grown attractions
      http://tinyurl.com/plvex
      Birmingham News 6 September 2006

      **Anatomy of an artist [Julie Calton Watters]
      http://tinyurl.com/n9v6x
      Kaleidoscope [UAB] 5 September 2006

      **Scrimmage Under the Sun, Brooding on the Sidelines
      [review of MTV's Hoover H.S. series, "Two-A-Days"]
      http://tinyurl.com/lu3fm
      New York Times 5 September 2006

      ===========
      **DEATHS
      ===========

      **Rotarian, businessman [Samuel] Brown dies at 98
      http://tinyurl.com/qfmvt
      Mobile Press-Register 8 September 2006

      **Eugene "Dryweather" Landreth [obituary; Alabama author]
      http://tinyurl.com/o3sy3
      Birmingham News 8 September 2006

      ==================
      **BONUS MATERIAL
      ==================

      **Grants available for historical collection use
      [at UAB's Reynolds Historical Library]
      http://main.uab.edu/show.asp?durki=97007

      **Fort Mims 2006 Photos
      http://imageevent.com/whipgrey/fortmims2006

      **Rosa Parks & the Montgomery Bus Boycott: Death of an Icon
      http://tinyurl.com/okyht [requires free registration]
      History Review Issue 55 September 2006 pp3-8

      **New Southern Culture Encyclopedia first volumes coming soon
      http://tinyurl.com/m7rcn
      Montgomery Advertiser 6 September 2006

      ***************************************

      A.J. Wright, M.L.S.
      Associate Professor
      Director, Section on the History of Anesthesia

      Department of Anesthesiology Library
      University of Alabama at Birmingham
      619 19th Street South, JT965
      Birmingham AL 35249-6810