Mills Thornton & other Ala.authors at Capitol Book

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2 9:45 AM
      From: Capitol Book [mailto:capitolbook@...]
      Sent: Wednesday, August 02, 2006 9:57 AM
      To: Capitol Book
      Subject: Mills Thornton Here Tomorrow

      The Capitol Book Newsletter
      Wednesday, August 2, 2006

      Today's Contents:
      1. Mills Thornton Here Tomorrow
      2. Taxes? We Don't Collect No Stinking Taxes.
      3. Upcoming

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Dividing Lines
      Back in 2002, Montgomery native Mills Thornton produced a book that may
      have changed forever the way the history of the Civil Rights movement
      will be studied. The book was Dividing Lines: Municipal Politics and the
      Struggle For Civil Rights in Montgomery, Birmingham and Selma, and if
      you think the title is long you ought to see the book. It's huge, so
      huge it's a little intimidating until you open it and start to read, and
      then you can't put it down. The book is exactly what the title says....a
      study of how the city politics of these Alabama cities impacted the
      Civil Rights movement, and for us the section on Montgomery is
      mesmerizing. We remember nearly every little event, but we'd had no idea
      how each influenced - and was influenced by - the Civil Rights movement.

      Well, finally they've published a paperback edition of the book, so
      instead of the $60 it once cost, you can now own it for $29.95, and if
      you come to the store TOMORROW, THURSDAY, AUGUST 3 From 5-6 PM, you can
      meet Mills and get your copy signed. It really does belong in every
      Montgomery library.

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Tax Free
      This weekend is the much ballyhooed Sales Tax Holiday. All books priced
      $30 or less will be free of the 10% Sales Tax on Friday and Saturday.
      There are lots of arcane rules surrounding the "holiday," but mainly
      two: 1. Book must sell for $30 or less, and 2. You must take possession
      of the book on Friday or Saturday. You can't call and ask us to hold a
      book for pickup next week. On the other hand, if we've been holding a
      book for you, wait until Friday or Saturday to pick it up, and you'll
      escape the Sales Tax.

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Upcoming Events
      It's been a slow summer for book events, but things are about to pick
      up. Here's what's on the near term schedule:
      1. August 3. Mills Thornton. Dividing Lines
      2. August 8. Sonny Brewer. A Sound Like Thunder
      3. August 15. Mark Childress. One Mississippi
      4. August 24. Joshilyn Jackson. Between, Georgia

      More details later, or you can always visit our website for information
      on upcoming events.

      Cheryl and Thomas Upchurch
      Capitol Book & News Company
      Voice 334.265.1473