FW: Daily Dose: Ahab's Wife [by Ala. author Sena Jeter Naslund]

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 27, 2006
      -----Original Message-----
      From: dailydose@... [mailto:dailydose@...]
      Sent: Monday, June 26, 2006 2:05 AM
      To: Amos J Wright
      Subject: Daily Dose: Ahab's Wife

      Today's Dose is recommended by Emily from Seattle, Washington

      Today's prize is $20 credit.
      Emily, to claim your gift certificate click here by 11:59 p.m.(Pacific
      Time) on Monday, June 26th:
      https://www.powells.com/dose/cgi-bin/contest/dailydose_claimprize

      <<>
      Take today's Dose in HTML at:
      http://www.powells.com/dose/cgi-bin/product?isbn=0060838744
      <>>

      "Ahab's Wife"
      by Sena Jeter Naslund

      EMILY'S COMMENTS
      Naslund weaves historial figures and events seamlessly into the
      adventures of her intrepid heroine, Una, who should be considered
      a great literary character in her own right.

      PUBLISHER COMMENTS
      "Captain Ahab was neither my first husband nor my last." This
      is destined to be remembered as one of the most-recognized first
      sentences in literature -- along with "Call me Ishmael." Sena
      Jeter Naslund has created an entirely new universe with a transcendent
      heroine at its center who will be every bit as memorable as Captain
      Ahab.

      "Ahab's Wife" is a novel on a grand scale that can legitimately
      be called a masterpiece: beautifully written, filled with humanity
      and wisdom, rich in historical detail, authentic and evocative.
      Melville's spirit informs every page of her tour de force. Una
      Spenser's marriage to Captain Ahab is certainly a crucial element
      in the narrative of "Ahab's Wife", but the story covers vastly
      more territory. After a spellbinding opening scene, the tale flashes
      back to Una's childhood in Kentucky; her idyllic adolescence with
      her aunt and uncle's family at a lighthouse near New Bedford;
      her adventures disguised as a cabin boy on a whaling ship; her
      first marriage to a fellow survivor who descends into violent
      madness; courtship and marriage to Ahab; life as mother and a
      rich captain's wife in Nantucket; involvement with Frederick Douglass;
      and a man who is in Nantucket researching his novel about his
      adventures on her ex-husband's ship.

      "Ahab's Wife" is a breathtaking, magnificent, and uplifting story
      of one woman's spiritual journey, informed by the spirit of the
      greatest American novel, but taking it beyond tragedy to redemptive
      triumph.

      REVIEWS
      "[A] genuine epic of America: an inspired homage to one of our
      greatest writers that brilliantly reinterprets, and in many ways
      rivals, his masterpiece."
      -- Kirkus Reviews

      "An intense treat, powerfully written, 'Ahab's Wife' is one of
      the best contemporary novels I have read in years."
      -- Louise Erdrich

      "Beautifully written. Lyrical...alluring and wise."
      -- Los Angeles Times

      "A complex and sophisticated book, brilliantly written, beautifully
      illustrated."
      -- Booklist

      ABOUT THE AUTHOR
      Sena Jeter Naslund is a native of Birmingham and winner of the
      Harper Lee Award. She is Distinguished Teaching Professor at the
      University of Louisville; program director of the Spalding University
      brief-residency Master of Fine Arts in Writing; and 2003 Vacca
      Professor, along with her husband, physicist John C. Morrison,
      at the University of Montevallo, Alabama.

      COPIES NOW AVAILABLE*
      Trade Paper (New) $15.95
      Hardcover (New and Used) starting at $15.00 (List price $28.00)
      http://www.powells.com/dose/cgi-bin/product?isbn=0060838744

      *Please note that copies are limited to on-hand quantity; used copies,
      in particular, may be available in extremely limited supply.

      WISH LIST
      To add this title to your Powells.com wish list, click here:
      http://www.powells.com/dose/cgi-bin/wishlist?add=0060838744

      <<><><>>

      Browse previous doses at:
      http://www.powells.com/dose/features/dailydose.html#previous

      <<>>

      ABOUT THE DAILY DOSE
      Each day shortly after midnight we post the day's featured title on our
      web
      site and in an email to Daily Dose subscribers. The reader whose
      recommendation we use has until day's end (11:59 p.m. Pacific Time) to
      visit
      our special contest page and claim the prize. Each day the prize goes
      unclaimed, we add $20 credit to the available total!

      Click here to suggest a title:
      http://www.powells.com/dose/cgi-bin/contest/dailydose_contest

      <>

      You are currently subscribed to dailydose as: ajwright@...

      To UNSUBSCRIBE from Daily Dose, go to
      http://www.powells.com/cgi-bin/list_manager?login=ajwright@...
      or send an email with the word "REMOVE" in the subject to
      leave-dailydose-798241Q@...

      To manage your subscriptions, use the following link:
      http://www.powells.com/cgi-bin/list_manager?login=ajwright@...

      <<><><>>
      Free North American shipping on orders over $50
      http://www.powells.com
      <<><><>>