Alabama History/Culture in the News: 5-8 May & Bonus Material

    Message 1 of 1 , May 8, 2006
      NOTE: I have begun using shortened URLs; let me know if you have any
      problems with them!-- ajwright@...

      Listings since July 2002 are also at
      http://www.anes.uab.edu/alahistnews0.htm

      as well as in the archives of alabamahistory at Yahoo:

      Listings prior to that date are in the archives.

      Materials in brackets are my additions. Items are listed more or less in
      reverse chronological order within each section.

      All links are working at the time I send this email and post them to the
      web page listing. Some of the longer URLs may wrap to the next line; you
      may need to copy and paste in order to get the entire link into your
      browser. If that doesn't work, there are a number of other options. Go
      to the appropriate listings page [start at
      http://www.anes.uab.edu/alahistnews0.htm ]and try from there. You can go
      to the alabamahistory archives at Yahoo as noted above and connect to
      the article there. You can also copy the link and paste it into Word and
      see if that straightens it out so you can copy and paste it into your
      browser. If the story is fairly recent, you can also try Google News at
      http://news.google.com/ ; put some significant words from the article
      title in the search box and see if the article comes up.

      A listing of Alabama history links can be found at
      http://www.anes.uab.edu/alahistory.htm

      Please send me information on broken links you find or links I don't
      have listed!

      Feel free to forward this email as desired....

      AND NOW THE NEWS...COMING EVENTS*HISTORY**CULTURE**DEATHS*BONUS MATERIAL

      **THIS MONTH IN ALABAMA HISTORY
      http://www.archives.state.al.us/thisweek/month.html

      ================
      **COMING EVENTS
      ================

      **[no entries this issue]

      =============
      **HISTORY
      =============

      ** In Monroeville, the past speaks for itself
      http://digbig.com/4hmrd
      Tuscaloosa News 8 May 2006

      **Shrine marks Reagan's visit at soon-to-reopen McDonald's [in
      Northport]
      http://digbig.com/4hmpn
      Tuscaloosa News 8 May 2006

      **Old homes tour winds through history
      http://digbig.com/4hmny
      Montgomery Advertiser 8 May 2006

      ** Barn [in Clay] to fall as progress defeats soul
      http://digbig.com/4hmrg
      Birmingham News 7 May 2006

      **Bike, [Delano Park] history trail funding up for vote
      http://digbig.com/4hmpt
      Decatur Daily 7 May 2006

      ** Historic site here now big 'story'
      Observatory on Monte Sano gets Parade mention
      http://digbig.com/4hmrm
      Huntsville Times 6 May 2006

      ** Booker T. Washington's death reviewed
      http://digbig.com/4hmpj
      Montgomery Advertiser 6 May 2006

      **Documentary features stars of [WLS Radio] barn dance [show]
      http://digbig.com/4hmpq
      Florence Times Daily 6 May 2006

      **Sheffield presents history of Tuscumbia Landing
      http://digbig.com/4hmpr
      Florence Times Daily 6 May 2006

      **1931 May 6: Willie Mays, baseball player, the 'Say Hey Kid' [is born.]
      FROM: Poor Gabriel's Almanac poorgabriel@...

      ** City devotes month to preserving its history
      http://digbig.com/4hmnx
      Demopolis Times 5 May 2006

      **1931 May 6- Willie Mays is born in Westfield, Alabama. He will become
      professional baseball player at the age of 16, for the Birmingham Black
      Barons. After graduating from high school, he will be signed by the New
      York Giants. His 7095 putouts will be the all-time record for an
      outfielder. His career batting average will be .302. For eight
      consecutive
      years, he will drive in more than 100 runs a year, and his 660 home runs
      will put him in third place for the all-time home run record. He will
      win
      the Gold Glove Award 12 times. He will be voted Most Valuable Player in
      the
      National League in both 1954 and 1965. He will be inducted into the
      Baseball Hall of Fame in 1979.

      1975 May 5- Hank Aaron surpasses Babe Ruth's RBI mark. He will finish
      his
      career with 755 home runs and over 2200 RBIs. Both records will stand
      for
      many years. Aaron will be inducted into Baseball's Hall of Fame on
      August
      1, 1982.

      1935 May 5-Jesse Owens, of the United States, sets the long jump record
      at
      26' 8".
      FROM: Today in Black History
      http://listserv.icors.org/archives/Munirah.html

      ===========
      **CULTURE
      ===========

      **Portrait of the artist as an old man
      [109-year-old Frank Calloway]
      http://digbig.com/4hmrf
      Birmingham News 7 May 2006

      **The producers
      'Keeping Up With the Steins' is first feature film by former Decatur
      residents
      http://digbig.com/4hmqa
      Decatur Daily 7 May 2006

      **Area author [Leslie T. Britt] featured in 'Chicken Soup' book
      http://digbig.com/4hmpb
      Montgomery Advertiser 7 May 2006

      **Authors describe their inspiration for fiction works
      [at Alabama Writers' Symposium]
      http://digbig.com/4hmnk
      Mobile Press-Register 6 May 2006

      **Area native [Marlin Barton] to read, autograph recent novel
      http://digbig.com/4hmnw
      Demopolis Times 5 May 2006

      ===========
      **DEATHS
      ===========

      **Veteran, longtime Fairhope surveyor dies [Claude Willis Arnold]
      http://digbig.com/4hmrk
      Mobile Press-Register 8 May 2006

      **Former Selma mayor [Carl Morgan] dies in Texas
      http://digbig.com/4hmph
      Montgomery Advertiser 6 May 2006

      ==================
      **BONUS MATERIAL
      ==================

      **[no entries this issue]

      ***************************************

      A.J. Wright, M.L.S.
      Associate Professor
      Director, Section on the History of Anesthesia

      Department of Anesthesiology Library
      University of Alabama at Birmingham
      619 19th Street South, JT965
      Birmingham AL 35249-6810