Alabama History & Culture in the News: 1-7 Mar & Bonus Material

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 8, 2006
      NOTE: I have begun using shortened URLs; let me know if you have any
      problems with them!-- ajwright@...

      Listings since July 2002 are also at
      http://www.anes.uab.edu/alahistnews0.htm

      as well as in the archives of alabamahistory at Yahoo:

      Listings prior to that date are in the archives.

      Materials in brackets are my additions. Items are listed more or less in
      reverse chronological order within each section.

      All links are working at the time I send this email and post them to the
      web page listing. Some of the longer URLs may wrap to the next line; you
      may need to copy and paste in order to get the entire link into your
      browser. If that doesn't work, there are a number of other options. Go
      to the appropriate listings page [start at
      http://www.anes.uab.edu/alahistnews0.htm ]and try from there. You can go
      to the alabamahistory archives at Yahoo as noted above and connect to
      the article there. You can also copy the link and paste it into Word and
      see if that straightens it out so you can copy and paste it into your
      browser. If the story is fairly recent, you can also try Google News at
      http://news.google.com/ ; put some significant words from the article
      title in the search box and see if the article comes up.

      A listing of Alabama history links can be found at
      http://www.anes.uab.edu/alahistory.htm

      Please send me information on broken links you find or links I don't
      have listed!

      Feel free to forward this email as desired....

      AND NOW THE NEWS...COMING EVENTS*HISTORY**CULTURE**DEATHS*BONUS MATERIAL

      **THIS MONTH IN ALABAMA HISTORY
      http://www.archives.state.al.us/thisweek/month.html

      ================
      **COMING EVENTS
      Book will be held in Montgomery Old Alabama Town and online publication
      announced for This Goodly Land - the online literary map for Alabama

      =============
      **HISTORY
      =============

      **Preservation gets short shrift [shipwreck discovered on Dauphin
      Island]
      http://tinyurl.com/lmq5u
      Tuscaloosa News 7 March 2006

      **1942 March 7- The first five cadets graduate from the Tuskegee Flying
      School: Captain Benjamin O. Davis, Jr. and Second Lieutenants Mac Ross,
      Charles DeBow, L.R. Curtis, and George S. Roberts. They will become
      part of
      the famous 99th Pursuit Squadron.
      FROM: Today in Black History
      http://listserv.icors.org/archives/Munirah.html

      **Yesterday's News [in Mobile in 1856, 1906, etc.]
      http://tinyurl.com/lbqmo
      Mobile Register 6 March 2006

      **Archaeologist gives up effort to salvage ship fragment
      Glenn Forest says he has not received the help from Dauphin Island or
      officials that he hoped
      http://tinyurl.com/jjmc8
      Mobile Register 4 March 2006

      **St. Stephens [all-black] school lives in memories of former students
      [Operated 1943-1967]
      http://tinyurl.com/okm7v
      Columbus [Ga.] Ledger-Enquirer 4 March 2006

      **Painting belongs in UAB medical school [letter]
      http://tinyurl.com/oxf2v
      Birmingham News 4 March 2006

      **Board hears program ideas for Phillips High site
      http://tinyurl.com/pgha4
      Birmingham News 3 March 2006

      **Riley likely to sign bill making Marion Military a state college
      http://tinyurl.com/qyp3h
      Birmingham News 3 March 2006

      **[Holmes] Medical Museum [in Foley] grows in popularity
      http://tinyurl.com/nhcos
      Mobile Register 3 March 2006

      **Writer, historian [Becky Holliday] to speak at museum program
      [Baldwin County Heritage Museum]
      http://tinyurl.com/pkmjz
      Mobile Register 3 March 2006

      **Education board girding for Phillips decision
      Groups invited to table to hear options, but board insists on having
      final
      say
      http://tinyurl.com/oy6ho
      Birmingham News 2 March 2006

      **Walk through history
      Trail in Langan Park educates people to the city's rich past
      http://tinyurl.com/qpdzm
      Mobile Register 2 March 2006

      **Fire destroys 1908 building on Clinton near downtown
      Homeless said to have sought refuge in empty structure
      [former Robinson Printing Co. building]
      http://tinyurl.com/mhm92
      Huntsville Times 2 March 2006

      **Museum of Mobile reopens [after Katrina repairs]
      http://tinyurl.com/qs8jn
      Mobile Register 2 March 2006

      ===========
      **CULTURE
      ===========

      **Fairfield building new life into city
      http://tinyurl.com/p7seu
      Birmingham News 7 March 2006

      **In honor of the Oscars, we test your Capote quotient
      Twenty questions about Truman
      http://tinyurl.com/mhvmc
      Birmingham News 5 March 2006

      **Quick trip: Jasmine Hill
      Montgomery's Fitzpatrick home open in spring for garden tours
      http://tinyurl.com/nwhww
      Birmingham News 5 March 2006

      **'Zine' spirit
      Portico [magazine] opens door to students [with new magazine]
      http://tinyurl.com/pxgs3
      Birmingham News 5 March 2006

      **Academy Awards, baby on schedule for Huntsville native [John Caldwell]
      http://tinyurl.com/mevx5
      Huntsville Times 5 March 2006

      **Fans recall 'bright kid' up for Oscar
      Joaquin Phoenix made impression 20 years ago in 'SpaceCamp' filming
      http://tinyurl.com/o4zga
      Huntsville Times 5 March 2006

      **Film gave big boost to real Space Camp
      Popularity soared after movie was filmed on location
      http://tinyurl.com/ncxw5
      Huntsville Times 5 March 2006

      **Smitty's on the square serves up films, catfish
      Single-screen theater owner adapts with relaxed touches
      http://tinyurl.com/lk48j
      Birmingham News 4 March 2006

      **Award-winning song tracks songwriter's return to faith
      [Jamie Boemer]
      http://tinyurl.com/laaq5
      Birmingham News 1 March 2006

      ===========
      **DEATHS
      ===========

      **Key USA trustee [Jack R.] Brunson dies after surgery
      Board chairman had major role in ousting of founding President Fred
      Whiddon,
      lawsuit against foundation
      http://tinyurl.com/qfgb4
      Mobile Register 2 March 2006

      ==================
      **BONUS MATERIAL
      ==================

      **Jesse Owens Dies of Cancer at 66; Hero of the 1936 Berlin Olympics
      http://www.nytimes.com/learning/general/onthisday/bday/0912.html
      New York Times 1 April 1980

      **1965 March 6:
      American Civil Rights Movement: Civil rights demonstrators marching
      from Selma to Montgomery, Alabama were brutally attacked by police on
      Bloody Sunday.
      (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selma_to_Montgomery_marches)
      Wikipedia

      ***************************************

      A.J. Wright, M.L.S.
      Associate Professor
      Director, Section on the History of Anesthesia

      Department of Anesthesiology Library
      University of Alabama at Birmingham
      619 19th Street South, JT965
      Birmingham AL 35249-6810