Alabama History/Culture in the News: 26 Feb-1 Mar & Bonus Material

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2006
      NOTE: I have begun using shortened URLs; let me know if you have any
      problems with them!-- ajwright@...

      Listings since July 2002 are also at
      http://www.anes.uab.edu/alahistnews0.htm

      as well as in the archives of alabamahistory at Yahoo:

      Listings prior to that date are in the archives.

      Materials in brackets are my additions. Items are listed more or less in
      reverse chronological order within each section.

      All links are working at the time I send this email and post them to the
      web page listing. Some of the longer URLs may wrap to the next line; you
      may need to copy and paste in order to get the entire link into your
      browser. If that doesn't work, there are a number of other options. Go
      to the appropriate listings page [start at
      http://www.anes.uab.edu/alahistnews0.htm ]and try from there. You can go
      to the alabamahistory archives at Yahoo as noted above and connect to
      the article there. You can also copy the link and paste it into Word and
      see if that straightens it out so you can copy and paste it into your
      browser. If the story is fairly recent, you can also try Google News at
      http://news.google.com/ ; put some significant words from the article
      title in the search box and see if the article comes up.

      A listing of Alabama history links can be found at
      http://www.anes.uab.edu/alahistory.htm

      Please send me information on broken links you find or links I don't
      have listed!

      Feel free to forward this email as desired....

      AND NOW THE NEWS...COMING EVENTS*HISTORY**CULTURE**DEATHS*BONUS MATERIAL

      **THIS MONTH IN ALABAMA HISTORY
      http://www.archives.state.al.us/thisweek/month.html

      ================
      **COMING EVENTS
      ================

      **Mar 2-5 George Lindsey UNA Film Festival. For details see:
      http://www.lindseyfilmfest.com

      **[Pleasure Island Art Assoc. annual] Festival of Art on tap March 11
      http://tinyurl.com/jysyv
      Mobile Register 1 March 2006

      =============
      **HISTORY
      =============

      **[National] Archive news footage showcases Alabama
      Movies feature state under New Deal programs
      http://tinyurl.com/hssng
      Huntsville Times 1 March 2006

      **Fort Morgan among most endangered
      Civil War Preservation Trust also names Gettysburg and two New Orleans
      forts to list of sites
      facing decay and neglect [Fort Morgan portion of the report is at
      http://www.civilwar.org/news/topten2006/fortmorgan.htm ]
      http://tinyurl.com/hadcs
      Mobile Register 1 March 2006

      **Marker points out history of Ross Bridge and creek
      http://tinyurl.com/gyu9o
      Birmingham News 1 March 2006

      ** Congress gives Tuskegee Airmen Gold Medal
      http://tinyurl.com/zmn89
      Montgomery Advertiser 1 March 2006

      ** House moves to honor Tuskegee Airmen with congressional medal
      http://tinyurl.com/f9pn8
      Montgomery Advertiser 1 March 2006

      ** 1949 March 1- Joe Louis retires as heavyweight boxing champion after
      holding the title for a record eleven years and eight months.

      1960 March 1- The Alabama State Board of Education expels nine Alabama
      State
      University students for participating in sit-in demonstrations.

      1960 March 1- Montgomery, Alabama, police break up a protest
      demonstration on the Alabama State University campus and arrest
      thirty-five students, a teacher and her husband.
      FROM: Today in Black History
      http://listserv.icors.org/archives/Munirah.html

      **Bringing history to life
      New museum delights Carver [H.S.] alumni, friends
      http://tinyurl.com/n2ybb
      Gadsden Times 28 February 2006

      **[Bham News civil rights] Photos speak volumes
      http://tinyurl.com/lutlb
      Birmingham News 26 February 2006

      ===========
      **CULTURE
      ===========

      **Director writes music for Limestone [Co. Honor] band
      http://www.decaturdaily.com/decaturdaily/news/060228/music.shtml
      Decatur Daily 28 February 2006

      ===========
      **DEATHS
      ===========

      **Longtime Register editor [Jean Richmond] dies
      http://tinyurl.com/oruo7
      Mobile Register 28 February 2006

      ==================
      **BONUS MATERIAL
      ==================

      **"Nat King Cole Show" [NBC-TV, 1956-7]
      BET Jazz Channel http://www.bet.com/BETJazz/ runs this program a few
      times each week; the episodes are wonderful. See the Internet Movie
      Database entry
      at http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0307789/

      **Rev. Joseph Holt Ingraham [1809-1860; Alabama author]
      http://www.niulib.niu.edu/badndp/ingraham_joseph.html

      **b. 03-07-1937 - Rhoda Williams - Birmingham, AL
      actress: Betty Anderson "Life with Father" [old radio show]

      ***************************************

      A.J. Wright, M.L.S.
      Associate Professor
      Director, Section on the History of Anesthesia

      Department of Anesthesiology Library
      University of Alabama at Birmingham
      619 19th Street South, JT965
      Birmingham AL 35249-6810