Alabama History/Culture in the News: 9-10 Feb & Bonus Material

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 10, 2006
      NOTE: I am beginning to use shortened URLs for these listing...let me
      know if there are problems!!

      Listings since July 2002 are also at
      http://www.anes.uab.edu/alahistnews0.htm

      as well as in the archives of alabamahistory at Yahoo:

      Listings prior to that date are in the archives.

      Materials in brackets are my additions. Items are listed more or less in
      reverse chronological order within each section.

      All links are working at the time I send this email and post them to the
      web page listing. Some of the longer URLs may wrap to the next line; you
      may need to copy and paste in order to get the entire link into your
      browser. If that doesn't work, there are a number of other options. Go
      to the appropriate listings page [start at
      http://www.anes.uab.edu/alahistnews0.htm ]and try from there. You can go
      to the alabamahistory archives at Yahoo as noted above and connect to
      the article there. You can also copy the link and paste it into Word and
      see if that straightens it out so you can copy and paste it into your
      browser. If the story is fairly recent, you can also try Google News at
      http://news.google.com/ ; put some significant words from the article
      title in the search box and see if the article comes up.

      A listing of Alabama history links can be found at
      http://www.anes.uab.edu/alahistory.htm

      Please send me information on broken links you find or links I don't
      have listed!

      Feel free to forward this email as desired....

      AND NOW THE NEWS...COMING EVENTS*HISTORY**CULTURE**DEATHS*BONUS MATERIAL

      **THIS MONTH IN ALABAMA HISTORY
      http://www.archives.state.al.us/thisweek/month.html

      ================
      **COMING EVENTS
      ================

      **Alabama Experience: Lowndes County Freedom Organization [APT]
      Sunday, February 12, 2006 at 12:30PM
      Description
      The Black Panther Party was founded in Oakland in 1966, but it traces
      its
      roots to rural Lowndes County in Alabama. This program remembers the
      efforts
      of the Student Non-Violent Coordinating Committee in this forgotten
      outpost
      in the civil rights struggle.

      **The UAB English Advisory Committee will present "An Afternoon With
      Sena
      Jeter Naslund" at 4-6 p.m. March 5 in the Concord Center, Main Lobby,
      2100
      3rd Ave. N. Naslund, a novelist and Birmingham native, will deliver a
      short
      lecture and sign copies of her books. She will be presented with the UAB

      English Advisory Committee's Distinguished Award in Writing. Tickets:
      $75.
      Information: 975-9644 or mvanzandt@...

      =============
      **HISTORY
      =============

      **Volunteer work results in historic discovery [in Jackson County]
      Check found amid old probate records: 'I knew in my heart it was real'
      [$5000 check signed by Abraham Lincoln]
      http://tinyurl.com/d46r5
      Huntsville Times 10 February 2006

      **Quarterly [Alabama Heritage] to feature article on Darrow
      Famed lawyer visited Fairhope in the 1920s
      http://tinyurl.com/cpblz
      Mobile Register 10 February 2006

      **Honoring a pioneer
      Civil rights trailblazer [Arthur D.] Shores gets salute
      http://tinyurl.com/9hvhd
      Birmingham News 10 February 2006

      **Army engineers to renew search for buried chemical weapons
      [at site of WWII Camp Sibert]
      http://tinyurl.com/cglsa
      Montgomery Advertiser 10 February 2006

      **Ala. native [Vonetta Flowers] seeks secod gold medal in bobsled event
      http://tinyurl.com/d45t4
      Montgomery Advertiser 10 February 2006

      **1945 tornado traumatized family
      http://tinyurl.com/7883t
      Montgomery Advertiser 10 February 2006

      **Black History: Blind Boys of Ala. [ http://www.blindboys.com/main.html
      ]
      http://tinyurl.com/ajjx7
      WXIA-TV [Atlanta] 9 February 2006

      **Eyewitness recalls civil rights movement
      http://tinyurl.com/c4lyh
      Brunswick [Ga.] News 9 February 2006

      **[Baldwin Co.] Commission makes bid for [veterans] cemetery land
      http://tinyurl.com/ddj64
      Mobile Register 9 February 2006

      **Campaign started to preserve Phillips [High School]
      http://tinyurl.com/an7c3
      Birmingham News 9 February 2006

      **1971 February 9- Satchel Paige becomes the first African American
      elected
      to professional baseball's Hall of Fame for his career in the Negro
      Leagues.
      FROM: Today in Black History
      http://listserv.icors.org/archives/Munirah.html

      ===========
      **CULTURE
      ===========

      **Six area students chosen for poetry publishing deal
      http://tinyurl.com/83vve [poems at http://tinyurl.com/bnm9m ]
      Montgomery Advertiser 10 February 2006

      ===========
      **DEATHS
      ===========

      **Well-known animal breeder Virginia Davis dies in car crash
      http://tinyurl.com/drx2d
      Mobile Register 10 February 2006

      **'Walking History Book' loved city, never met stranger
      Hershel Bingham also 'was example of sacrificial love'
      http://tinyurl.com/7hzjq
      Huntsville Times 10 February 2006

      ==================
      **BONUS MATERIAL
      ==================

      **Marching into [civil rights] history
      Joe and Joyce Ellwanger reflect on their trek to Montgomery, Alabama
      http://tinyurl.com/7cqzo
      The Lutheran July 2005

      **THE AMERICAN SOUTH IN THE 20th CENTURY
      [new book from the University of Georgia Press]
      THE AMERICAN SOUTH IN THE 20th CENTURY takes an in-depth look at
      how the South has evolved over the last century. A collection of essays
      by leading scholars of southern culture and history, it asks timeless
      questions about the region: How has the South changed--or not changed?
      Has the South as a distinct region disappeared, or has it absorbed the
      many forces of change and still retained its cultural and social
      distinctiveness?
      This book grew out of eight essays that were written for a special
      issue of the AHC publication Atlanta History: A Journal of Georgia and
      the South that was published in 2001. Craig Pascoe (Editor of Atlanta
      History), Andy Ambrose (Chief Operating Officer of the AHC), and Karen
      Trahan Leathem became editors of the book and commissioned additional
      essays to round out a volume of "thought pieces" about the 20th-century
      South.
      - More about the book: http://snipurl.com/amersouth

      ***************************************

      A.J. Wright, M.L.S.
      Associate Professor
      Director, Section on the History of Anesthesia

      Department of Anesthesiology Library
      University of Alabama at Birmingham
      619 19th Street South, JT965
      Birmingham AL 35249-6810