Fwd: Call for Panelists

  • Steve Murray
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 13, 2006
      >>> herrdf@... 01/13/06 10:00 AM >>>
      From: Dee Gillespie dgilles1@...
      Subject: Call for Panelists

      Hello,
      I'm emailing to invite fellow scholars to join a proposed panel for
      the
      2006 OHA Meeting in Little Rock, Arkansas. The proposed panel focuses
      on local leadership in black voter registration efforts, beginning in
      the
      post-45 period and stretching into the 1960s. This opens the panel to
      explore the importance of local efforts in laying the groundwork for
      the
      civil rights movement of the 1960s, as well as the importance of local
      voter registration efforts during the movement. Ann Short Chirhart,
      assistant professor at Indiana State University, and I are seeking
      co-panelists who are drawing on oral history interviews with
      "forgotten
      activists" to define different means of activism (ie, through civic
      engagement and professional organizations) and/or re-interpret
      national
      civil rights organizations' involvement in local communities.

      Please feel free to respond directly to me instead of through the
      discussion list. Ann and I look forward to hearing from you. Please
      keep in mind that the deadline for proposals is quickly approaching -
      Jan 31.

      Thanks for your interest,
      Dee Gillespie
      dgilles1@...