FW: Environmental History and the American South

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1 12:42 PM
      Fyi... ajwright@...

      From: anesuab@... [mailto:anesuab@...]
      Sent: Tuesday, November 01, 2005 1:58 PM
      To: Amos J Wright
      Subject: Fwd: Environmental History and the American South

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Herr, David <herrdf@...>
      To: H-SOUTH@...
      Sent: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 10:22:00 -0500
      Subject: Environmental History and the American South
      From: Paul Sutter [sutter@...]

      I am happy to announce the creation of a new book series at the
      University of Georgia Press, "Environmental History and the American
      South." A full series description and list of Advisory Board members is
      below. The University of Georgia Press has already established itself
      as a leading publisher not only in Southern Environmental History, but
      in Southern nature writing more generally, and this series seeks to
      build on that strength. I will be attending the SHA meeting next week
      in Atlanta and would look forward to speaking with anyone with a
      manuscript or book idea that might fit the series. Alternately, please
      feel free to contact Andrew Berzanskis (andrewb@...), who
      will be working with me on this series.

      Paul S. Sutter
      Associate Professor of History
      University of Georgia

      "Environmental History and the American South"

      The field of environmental history has exploded during the last two
      decades, but the American South has largely been by-passed by this boom.

      This series seeks to correct that neglect by publishing books that
      explore the critical importance of human-environmental interactions to
      the history and culture of the region. We aim to show how attention to
      environmental topics necessarily enriches our understanding of southern
      history and identity, and how a focus on southern topics promises to
      reshape the broader field of environmental history. Books in the series
      not only situate environmental history within the American South,
      broadly defined, but they also connect the region to local, national,
      and transnational scales of analysis. The series welcomes the work of
      anthropologists and geographers as well as historians and environmental
      writers. We also plan to republish southern environmental classics, and
      to produce essay collections that shape the emerging field of southern
      environmental history.

      Series Editor
      Paul S. Sutter - University of Georgia

      Series Advisory Board
      Judith Carney - University of California, Los Angeles Robbie Etheridge -
      University of Mississippi Ari Kelman - University of California, Davis
      Jack Temple Kirby - Miami University of Ohio Shepard Krech III - Brown
      University Tim Silver - Appalachian State University Mart Stewart -
      Western Washington University

      Dr. David Herr
      H-South Editor
      St. Andrews Presbyterian College