FW: UGA Press recalls "The Bear Bryant Funeral Train"

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31, 2005
      FYI..author Brad Vice is a Tuscaloosa native... ajwright@...

      From: Network of Alabama Academic Libraries Discussion List
      [mailto:NAAL-L@...] On Behalf Of smedina@...
      Sent: Monday, October 31, 2005 8:41 AM
      To: NAAL-L@...
      Subject: UGA Press recalls "The Bear Bryant Funeral Train"

      Sue O. Medina, Director
      Network of Alabama Academic Libraries
      P. O. Box 302000
      Montgomery, AL  36130-2000
      voice:  334-242-2211
      fax:  334-242-0408
      smedina@...
      www.ache.state.al.us/NAAL

      Leadership is a responsibility shared by all NAAL participants.
      Visit  Alabama history at http://www.alabamamosaic.org

      ---- Forwarded by Tim W Vick/ACHE on 10/31/2005 08:32 AM -----
      The Chronicle <daily@...>
      10/31/2005 04:00 AM

      ACADEME TODAY: The Chronicle of Higher Education's
      Daily Report from The Chronicle for Monday, October 31:

      *  THE UNIVERSITY OF GEORGIA PRESS has revoked a prominent
        fiction award to Brad Vice, whose short-story collection
        contains uncredited material from a book published decades
        ago, the publisher recently announced. The press has also
        recalled the collection, "The Bear Bryant Funeral Train,"
        from bookstores.
        --> SEE http://chronicle.com/daily/2005/10/2005103106n.htm
      U. of Georgia Press Revokes Award and Recalls Book That Borrows From an
      Earlier Work
      By JENNIFER HOWARD
      The University of Georgia Press has revoked a prominent fiction award to
      Brad Vice, whose short-story collection contains uncredited material
      from a book published decades ago, the publisher recently announced. The
      press has also recalled the collection, The Bear Bryant Funeral Train,
      from bookstores.
      In a written statement, the press said it had learned on October 13
      "that one of the stories in Mr. Vice's collection, 'Tuscaloosa Knights,'
      contained uncredited material from the fourth chapter of the first
      section of Carl Carmer's Stars Fell on Alabama." It said it had
      immediately frozen stock of Mr. Vice's book and contacted the author,
      who "admitted that 'Tuscaloosa Knights' borrows heavily from Stars Fell
      on Alabama [and] that he had made a terrible mistake in neglecting to
      acknowledge Carmer's work."
      In 2004, the press had awarded Mr. Vice the Flannery O'Connor Award for
      Short Fiction for The Bear Bryant Funeral Train.
      Mr. Carmer's book, a nonfiction account of early-20th-century Alabama
      life, was originally published in 1934 but is still under copyright and
      was reissued by the University of Alabama Press in 2000. Mr. Vice's book
      was published in September.
      Mr. Vice, a native of Tuscaloosa, is an assistant professor of English
      at Mississippi State University. In an e-mail message to The Chronicle,
      he acknowledged the debt his work owes to Mr. Carmer's. "I made a
      terrible error in judgment by omitting to acknowledge this due to my
      ignorance concerning the principles of fair use," Mr. Vice wrote. "As a
      writer interested in using history as my backdrop, I was foolish and
      naïve to think I could make use of this material without including an
      official acknowledgement. I intended my story to be homage to Carmer."
      Mississippi State has set up a committee to investigate whether Mr.
      Vice's actions constitute plagiarism, according to an article published
      on Friday in the Tuscaloosa News. Members of the committee include Rich
      Raymond, chairman of the English department; Phillip B. Oldham, dean of
      the College of Arts and Sciences; and Tracy Arwood, a research-ethics
      officer, the newspaper reported. If that committee concludes that the
      matter merits further investigation, the university will appoint another
      committee made up of five faculty members from outside the English
      department.
      The University of Georgia Press said that the Flannery O'Connor Award
      would be given to one of the other finalists from last year's
      competition. "We regret any inconvenience that the recall of the book
      may have caused booksellers and individual book buyers," the press said
      in its statement.

      Copyright (c) 2005 The Chronicle of Higher Education, Inc.