FW: Folkstreams - documentary films online [some Alabama?]

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 10, 2005
      Fyi.. ajwright@...

      -----Original Message-----
      From: smedina@...
      To: NAAL-L@...
      Sent: Fri, 7 Oct 2005 08:56:27 -0500
      Subject: Folkstreams - documentary films online

      Folkstreams, the Best of American Folklore Films, is a group of
      individuals and agencies (including the Alabama State Council for the
      Arts) seeking to preserve documentaries that capture American folklife.
      The films are available online --and would be useful for instruction in
      a number of academic programs.  Many of these documentaries were in
      danger of being lost forever because they were created and marketed for
      a local audience.  Before Folkstreams can format this for online access,
      they usually have to undertake expensive conservation/restoration
      efforts to make them usable.

      I am going to spend any vacation days I have just watching these!

      Folkstreams.net
      Find rare films by independent filmmakers on diverse topics such as
      music (blues, roots, klezmer, gospel, playground songs, and more),
      outsider art, folk crafts (such as quilting and basketmaking), folk
      dance, religious experience, storytelling, and more. The site also
      includes transcripts, essays, and background information for many of the
      films. This not-for-profit venture is funded in part by the Institute of
      Museum and Library Services.
      LII Item: http://lii.org/cs/lii/view/item/19229