Re: Welcome to alabamahistory@onelist.com

  • Marge Himes
    Message 1 of 26 , Apr 24, 1999
      Hi all,
      I lived in Alabama from 1956-1971, graduating from Tuscaloosa High
      Sch (now Central HS) in '66. My mother's family has been in Tusc
      since 1920's. She was born in Samantha,Al (died '79) my grfather
      worked the coal mines in Peterson I understand. I married into the
      AirForce and traveled for the next 25 years. Germany, Turkey, Hawaii
      & retired AF life in Albuquerque, NM. Not liking NM, my husband & I
      moved to Iowa (his home). I really get homesick, I love to talk about
      my "home" every chance I get. My son is 23, we have gotten into some
      pretty "consistent" conversations about the south. I finally got to
      introduce him to Tuscaloosa 2 yrs ago. When meeting my uncle & aunt
      his face dropped to the floor when they made him DECLARE his favorite
      team before walking thru their front door. (He had not seen my family
      since he was 4) He choose Auburn & immediately started civil war. My
      family is split half & half. I am & have always been an Alabama fan,
      & still BELIEVE in BEAR Bryant football.
      My daughter is 26, married w/two sons,2&4. They live in Lubbock, Tx
      where my son-in-law is finishing his senior yr at Lubbock Christian.
      Like I said I miss my home and love to reminisce about old times. Ive
      missed alot of changes & growth in Ala but am still interested in
      where she is going or where shes been

      >From: alabamahistory-owner@onelist.com
      >To: marge50@...
      >Subject: [alabamahistory] Welcome to alabamahistory@onelist.com
      >Date: 24 Apr 1999 14:27:19 -0000
      >
      >Hello,
      >
      >Welcome to the alabamahistory@onelist.com discussion list. Please
      take a moment
      >to review this message.
      >
      >I created this list in late September, 1998, so that anyone
      interested in any
      >aspect of Alabama's fascinating history, folklore and culture in
      general would
      >have a place on the net to find other individuals with similar
      interests. Feel
      >free to introduce yourself to the list if you wish and tell us a
      little bit
      >about yourself and your interest(s) in Alabama history.
      >
      >This list is moderated; all messages must have my approval before
      distribution
      >to all subscribers. This situation may result in some delay before
      your messages
      >are distributed but will also prevent spam and other irrelevant
      posts to the
      >list. [P.S. As of 3/99 I have set alabamahistory so that messages are
      >distributed immediately to subscribers. If problems occur, I will
      return to
      >moderating
      >messages.] I hope you will share any WWW resources related to
      Alabama history
      >that you discover as you explore cyberspace and initiate and join in
      other
      >discussions on the list!
      >
      >As of 15 April 1999 the list had 72 subscribers.
      >
      >To unsubscribe from this list, go to the ONElist web site, at
      >http://www.onelist.com and select the Member Center button from the
      menu bar on
      >the left. This menu will also let you change your subscription
      between digest
      >and normal mode.
      >

      >Thanks,
      >
      >A.J. Wright, MLS /// Moderator, alabamahistory
      >Dept of Anesthesiology Library
      >School of Medicine
      >University of Alabama at Birmingham
      >
      >anesuab@... OR meds002@...

    • Tanique Crawford
      Message 2 of 26 , May 20, 1999
        My daugther has to do a report on the state of Alabama. I would love to have
        some information best suitable for a 9 year old in the 4th grade for her report
        on this state. Could you please help us. Much appreciated.
      • LYNNESBOS@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 26 , May 21, 1999
          Thank you, I am trying to search my family history.I think we came from
          monroeville alabama or this is what i have been told.Maybe you can help me.
          Lynne Janes Blanton
        • Max Shores
          Message 4 of 26 , May 21, 1999
            At 07:51 PM 5/21/99 -0400, you wrote:
            >From: LYNNESBOS@...
            >
            >Thank you, I am trying to search my family history.I think we came from
            >monroeville alabama or this is what i have been told.Maybe you can help me.
            > Lynne Janes
            Blanton

            Monroeville is located in Monroe County. The Monroe County Genealogy site
            located at

            <a
            href="http://www.rootsweb.com/~almonroe">http://www.rootsweb.com/~almonroe/<
            /a>

            might be a good place to begin your search.

            Max Shores
            max@...
            http://www.alabamainfo.com
          • SWEETBAMAA@xxx.xxx
            Message 5 of 26 , May 22, 1999
              Is there a geneaology site for Barbour county area?
              Linda Greer
            • SwimmerAL@xxx.xxx
              Message 6 of 26 , Jun 4 10:47 PM
                alabamahistory-owner@onelist.com writes:

                > Feel
                > free to introduce yourself to the list if you wish and tell us a little bit
                > about yourself and your interest(s) in Alabama history.

                Hi A.J.! Thanks for the welcome. Can't wait to find out what the list is
                about. My interest in joining the list came from the fact that I live in the
                great state of Alabama. I love hearing all about the state. Once again,
                thanks for the welcome.
                Beth
              • Jean LeVitt
                Message 7 of 26 , Oct 2, 1999
                  Hi!

                  I'm interested in learning about the history of an old company town for the Woodward Iron Company called,of course, Woodward. I don't know if the town still exists in any way. My grandfather worked for the company for at least thirty years and retired there in Woodward. My mother was born there. It is or was near Bessemer. If anyone knows anything about it, I would appreciate hearing. I will be happy to pass on any info I find about others interests.

                  Jean

                • mlstarns@xxxx.xxx
                  Message 8 of 26 , Oct 2, 1999
                    Hi Jean

                    I grew up in the shadow of Woodward Iron Company, It is now called
                    Koppers. You can still see the company houses and some of the stores
                    near the plant. It is in the Dolomite Community of Birmingham in Western
                    Jefferson co. I live near there still.

                    I hope this helps you some. If you need more information let me know
                    maybe I can help some.

                    Mary

                    On Sat, 02 Oct 1999 17:19:28 -0500 Jean LeVitt <jgml@...> writes:
                    > From: Jean LeVitt <jgml@...>
                    >
                    > Hi!
                    >
                    > I'm interested in learning about the history of an old company town
                    > for the Woodward Iron Company called,of course, Woodward. I don't
                    > know if the town still exists in any way. My grandfather worked for
                    > the company for at least thirty years and retired there in Woodward.
                    > My mother was born there. It is or was near Bessemer. If anyone
                    > knows anything about it, I would appreciate hearing. I will be
                    > happy to pass on any info I find about others interests.
                    >
                    > Jean

                  • Margaret Eakin
                    Message 9 of 26 , Oct 2, 1999
                      1. Click on the following URL to see photos of the Woodward Iron Company

                      http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/hhhtml/hh1.html

                      2. This one's info on the Woodward family.

                      http://www.artsbma.org/g2hitt.html

                      3. The attached site from the U.S. Geologic Survey shows the location
                      of Woodward. You might explore this site further for other info of
                      interest --- it also shows the location of historical features (mills,
                      ferries, schools) that no longer exist.

                      http://mapping.usgs.gov:8888/gnis/owa/MapServer?f_name=Woodward&f_state=AL&f_latlong=332607N0865729W&f_type=ppl&server=TIGER

                      Hope this info is helpful to anyone on the list interested in Woodward Iron Company. I have other sites that reference photos � especially of a locomotive that was built specially for the Company.

                      Margaret Eakin

                      --
                      MZ�
                    • VeeKayInn@xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                      Message 10 of 26 , Oct 3, 1999
                        I did a forward of ur message tothe AlaBenton Genealogical Society
                        Quarterly Editor.

                        From: Jean LeVitt <jgml@...>

                        Hi!

                        I'm interested in learning about the history of an old company town for the Woodward Iron Company called,of course, Woodward. I don't know if the town still exists in any way. My grandfather worked for the company for at least thirty years and retired there in Woodward. My mother was born there. It is or was near Bessemer. If anyone knows anything about it, I would appreciate hearing. I will be happy to pass on any info I find about others interests.

                        Jean

                        alabamahistory-owner@onelist.com wrote:

                        > Hello,
                        >
                        > Welcome to the alabamahistory@onelist.com discussion list. Please take a moment to review this message.
                        >
                        > I created this list in late September, 1998, so that anyone interested in any aspect of Alabama's fascinating history, folklore and culture in general would have a place on the net to find other individuals with similar interests. Feel free to introduce yourself to the list if you wish and tell us a little bit about yourself and your interest(s) in Alabama history.
                        >
                        > This list is moderated; all messages must have my approval before distribution to all subscribers. This situation may result in some delay before your messages are distributed but will also prevent spam and other irrelevant posts to the list. [P.S. As of 3/99 I have set alabamahistory so that messages are distributed immediately to subscribers. If problems occur, I will return to moderating messages.] I hope you will share any WWW resources related to Alabama history that you discover as you explore cyberspace and initiate and join in other discussions on the list! To get you started, you can find a lengthy list of Alabama-related links [and even some history ones!] at
                        >
                        > http://www.anes.uab.edu/birmingham_links.htm
                        >
                        > As of 20 September 1999 the list had 106 subscribers.
                        >
                        > To unsubscribe from this list, go to the ONElist web site, at
                        > http://www.onelist.com and select the Member Center button from the menu bar on the left. This menu will also let you change your subscription between digest and normal mode or suspend list mail delivery while you are on vacation.
                        >
                        > Thanks,
                        >
                        > A.J. Wright, MLS /// Moderator, alabamahistory
                        > Dept of Anesthesiology Library
                        > School of Medicine
                        > University of Alabama at Birmingham
                        >
                        > anesuab@... OR meds002@...

                        Archives for the list can be viewed at
                        http://www.onelist.com/archives/alabamahistory
                      • Buddy Sledge
                        Message 11 of 26 , Oct 5, 1999
                          While I know next to nothing about company towns in the
                          Birmingham district, Dr. David Lewis at Auburn University or Dr.
                          Marlene Rikard at Samford University might be able to assist you.
                          Both are extremely knowledgable about this subject. You also
                          might try someone at Sloss Furnaces or at the Birmingham
                          Historical Society.

                          Best of Luck -

                          Buddy Sledge
                          Truett-McConnell College
                        • b1nchc08
                          Message 12 of 26 , Dec 8, 1999
                            Hi,
                            I covered Alabama from 19995 to 1999 as a diplomat responsible for
                            attracting Alabamese investment in my country. But I had the privilege to
                            attend the 300 anniversary of the foundation of Biloxi in February 1999 in
                            Mississippi and discovered that Mobile's anniversary was coming soon. There
                            is a French era in Alabama's development that I am curious to know and as
                            well now the influx of Latinos is most interesting to fathom as it will
                            shape the future of this great State. The Civil War or the War of the States
                            is another era that fascinates me. The influence of the African-American
                            heritage, constructions, food, music, as well is incredible to discover. I
                            am always confounded by the inventiveness and the resilience demonstrated by
                            the Confederate armies whose desperate efforts are admirable but led to the
                            United States of America as we know them today. Fascinating as well the fact
                            that after such a terrible war all Alabamans are today to the fullest very
                            proud to be identified to USA. And I have not mentioned the mysterious
                            hills, and other fabulous places that this Great State holds. The rich
                            Indian past with so many tribes that D'Iberville mentioned in his reports.
                            Hence my signature to know more.
                            JP
[...]

                            As of 23 November 1999 the list had 119 subscribers.