Bartram Trail Conference, August, GA, October 21-23

  • Steve Murray
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 26, 2005
      The Bartram Trail Conference will hold its biennial meeting this
      October
      in Augusta, Georgia. The BTC The chair of this year's program, Ed
      Cashin, extends his welcome: "We in Augusta are looking forward to
      greeting you on October 21st. You might notice that Augusta has
      changed
      somewhat since Bartram's day, but we hope you will like it as much as
      he
      did." The program is a balanced mix of presentations and visits to
      historic Bartram sites, including Wrightsboro.

      <>The program for the Conference is below. The fee for the
      conference,
      including Friday's dinner at the Augusta State University Towers and
      the
      Sunday picnic lunch at Wrightsborough is $35. The registration form is

      attached--it is also at the Bartram Trail Conference website:
      www.bartramtrail.org <http://www.bartramtrail.org/>.

      We look forward to seeing you in Augusta!

      = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

      = = = = = = =

      PROGRAM: Augusta Bartram Trail Conference: October 21-23

      Friday, October 21

      Reception:

      5:00-6:00PM

      Wine and cheese reception at the Maxwell Alumni House on the Augusta

      State University (ASU) campus.

      Dinner / Meeting

      6:30-8:30PM

      Dinner at the ASU Towers

      Welcome and opening remarks: Ed Cashin

      Report from the Board of the BTC: Kathryn Braund

      Slide Presentation "Augusta Scenes Bartram Might Have

      Seen": Brad Sanders

      Saturday, October 22

      Tour of Phinizy Swamp Nature Park

      9:00-11:00AM

      Lecture and tour by Dr. Gene Eidson of this restored and
      constructed 1,100 acre wetland south of Augusta. In Bartram's time

      Phinizy Swamp was known as The Cupboard. Within it is a wildlife

      management area with ample opportunities to view flora and fauna.

      Dr. Eidson is the founder of the Southeastern Natural Sciences

      Academy.

      Springfield Church / Lunch

      Noon-1:30PM

      Springfield Baptist Church is the oldest African-American church
      in
      the United States, founded at Silver Bluff in 1773. Lunch and talk by
      Isaac Johnson, church historian.

      Augusta Riverwalk

      2:00-3:00PM

      After lunch, time for a stroll on the Riverwalk marked by a
      Bartram
      quote and signs, or a visit to the Morris Museum

      of Art.

      Enterprise Mill:

      3:00-7:00PM

      Meet at the Enterprise Mill's Interpretive Center, for a ten
      minute
      introductory film, followed by a walk through the hands-on exhibits.
      At
      4PM we board Petersburg boats for a seven-mile ri! de to the
      head-gates. Botanist Judy Gordon will talk about plants Bartram might

      have seen. The return trip will be beguiled with wine and music.

      Dinner on our own

      Sunday, October 23

      Wrightsboro / Picnic Lunch:

      10:00-1:00PM

      On Sunday we will proceed west of Augusta to Wrightsborough for a

      picnic lunch provided by Historic Wrightsboro

      Foundation, and a talk by Robert Davis, an historian.

      Where to stay:

      Accommodations:

      The BTC has arranged for a special rate for members at the historic
      Partridge Inn, at $69.00 a night. Please call the Inn directly for

      reservations, and mention that you are reserving a room for the
      "Bartram
      Trail Conference"

      Location: 2110 Walton Way

      Augusta, Georgia 30904

      Website: http://www.partridgeinn.com/

      Phone: 1-800-476-6888 Local: (706) 737-8888